P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Jacques »

Aye, thirst aid before oxygen therapy, everytime!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Jacques wrote:Aye, thirst aid before oxygen therapy, everytime!
Yep :wink: :lol:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Not much is happening in the shop with spring arriving in Florida and yard work to be done. In the last few days I did spend some time on the flare gun slot.

I’m sure this will be a part that I use everyday to let my crew chief know that I need more refreshments. Of course the first time I do this I will need to add bullet holes to the side of my sim to show where she shot me down!

Thanks for looking

Ed

Here are the parts I gathered for this build. I had already started shaping the MDF for the front and back plates. The elbow may or may not be used to mount the component to the frame.

Almost completed component.

Edit/Update

The flare gun bag was just delivered. YAY

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

just wow, such a small bit such as the flare shoot looks great. I know the build will slow down with the weather changing but I look forward to each update as it comes. Enjoy that Florida weather!

thanks from a rainy UK,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Lewis. Weather last week was great so after the yard work was complete we went to the beach on Tuesday and the Sun 'N Fun Air Show Wednesday and Saturday. It's only an hour from our home so we thought 2 days sounded about right!

On Saturday I got to meet Col. Bud Anderson and he signed my Old Crow Mustang shirt. A really great guy!

Take care
Ed

The Col. signing my shirt.

And we can't miss a picture of Old Crow!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

good stuff indeed, my first visit to the US was a family holiday to Florida when I was 16 and we did the normal bits and pieces you do but in the villa we stayed at was a copy of his book which in the couple weeks I had I managed to get through. A great read and good insight.

thanks,
Lewis

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

I hope you are all doing great.

Here is a quick update to show what I have been working on recently. I have all of the switches installed in the components but not wired. Next I will make and install the labels then it’s time to fire up the soldering gun and start making connections.

Thanks for looking
Take care
Ed

The first two pictures show the emergency canopy release. First you can see it in the stowed position. If you look closely you can see a small silver screw just barely visible in the red handle near the turquoise lever switch. The second picture is after the handle has been activated. The screw has made contact with the lever switch to activate the release of the canopy.

Here you can see the lever switch for both the canopy release and the canopy crank.

Next is a nice blurry pic of the canopy crank actuator. (I fired the photographer!) You can see the peg holding the shaft in the handle plate. The peg also makes contact with the lever switch when rotated. The sim crank turns 6 times to open the canopy but mine will only make a ¼ turn. When the handle is toward the back of the pit the canopy will be open. When pushed forward ¼ turn the peg makes contact with the switch and the canopy will close, I hope. :shock:

Here are two pics showing most of the right side components.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Looking good Ed! Looks like you'll soon be ready to climb aboard?

Thanks for the update!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

geedee
Airman

Post by geedee »

That is a work of art mate !. I've not worked on mine for over a year now !.

However, I do have serious intention of getting back in the groove when I return from another stint on the Warbirds in Jun ! :-)
Cheers

Gary

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Loving these updates as she comes along in such beauty and detail!
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Lovely stuff indeed!

And GeeDee, is that stateside warbirds will you be over the Pond for Oshkosh too?

cheers,
Lewis

geedee
Airman

Post by geedee »

Lewis - A2A wrote:And GeeDee, is that stateside warbirds will you be over the Pond for Oshkosh too? Lewis
Hi Lewis

Unfortunately not.

I haven't been to Osh since 2005. I keep meaning to get back but the pull of the Warbirds is too great. I'm flying out next Thursday to the West coast this time ... LA to SF and then I'm back out on the East Coast around MA in Sept.

And just a quickie, Leiston Memorial is cancelled this year :-(
Cheers

Gary

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ahh thats a shame, the Oshkosh always has a great warbird showing so just wondered if you'd be popping in with them but sounds like you'll be home by the time end of July rolls around. Why's Leiston cancelled this year?

cheers,
Lewis

maxonly
Airman First Class

Post by maxonly »

Looks amazing! Can't wait for the next update. I just want to give you a tip.
I've build a starter panel for the p-51 last year. I put a lot of effort into making it look nice, but cut a lot of corners with wiring. I used cheap car speaker wires and used duct tape as insulation :oops: . It only worked for a week and than it would short or the wires would snap. Currently I am rewiring my panel with proper wires and shrink sleaves.
Pro-tip: Don't cut corners with the wiring. :)

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Thank you all, I really appreciate the encouraging words.

maxonly. I agree, you don’t want to have all of your efforts brought to a halt with the wiring. I was going to use CAT5 cables but have switched to DB25 cables. This will allow 25 wires in one cable. More on this when I get to that part of the project.

Today I finally tackled the pylon release handles. I have been trying to figure out where to place the switches and I think this will work.

I have attached a clevis and pushrod, like used in RC planes, to each handle. (Only one is connected in the pics.) On each pushrod there will be a pushrod connector. There is usually a pin sticking up from the connector to attach it to the plane. This won't be needed so I ground this off with my Dremel. The box contains two lever switches, one for each handle. I placed a lever switch next to the box to show what is inside. When the pylon handle is pulled the pushrod connector will be pulled into the box activating the switches.

Thank you for looking.

The first two pics show the pylon handles stored from two different views.

This pic shows the pylon handles have been pulled and the push rod connector has hit the hidden switch.

This is looking into the switch box. The first pic shows the pylon handle stored and in the second the pylon handle has been pulled. You can see the pushrod connector hitting the switch.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”