P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

I’ve got a bunch of pics posted here to catch up on what I have been doing in the shop.

Today I started working on the aluminum skin for the front of the pit. I need to get this figured out now because the USB boards will be installed “under the hood” in the flat area. The cutout is where the large LCD screen base will be placed once I build a secure support. The next aluminum piece to be made will be a curved section for the cowl to cover the USB boards. I’ll hold off doing the pit sides until all of the components and wiring is complete. That way I will have easy access for the initial install but each component will be removable from inside the pit for repairs should they be needed.

Thanks for looking
Ed

Left side

Trim console

Map case, flare gun bag and flare gun slot.

I’ve started making the panel labels but they are not installed at this time.

Radiator control panel.

Throttle face plate

Selector dimmer controls. I won’t have a gun sight but I liked the looks of the component and will find some use for the switches.

Engine control panel

Power panel

Power panel with circuit breaker reset open

Detrola box. Another component not used in FSX but I may use the switches for something.

IFF panel

Center switch box, fuel shut off, fuel tank selector and emergency hydraulic release

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Ed, that is just coming together so nicely! You will have to un-learn all the keystrokes and joystick button pushes and acquiant yourself with procedures in a verifiable, high-fidelity cockpit!! How cool is that? Stunning craftsmanship!

maxonly
Airman First Class

Post by maxonly »

Absolutely amazing! Any plans for the fuel quantity and hydraulic pressure gauges, ect. ?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Cracking job, got to love a picture heavy update! :mrgreen:

Hope your still enjoying the weather, its really started to turn great here in the UK now.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi guys

Thank you all for the encouraging words. They are really appreciated.

Lewis the weather has been unseasonably cool the last few weeks. It should be 85 but has been in the mid to upper 70's with low humidity. Been working in the yard a lot to beat the 90's later this week.

Jacques, I should have all of the flight controls working as in the sim. Hopefully when I raise the landing gear the garage door does not go up! :shock:

maxonly, the fuel gauges will be in a pop up window on the main screen or possibly on a small side monitor. Not sure yet. The hydraulic gauge may be in the same popup unless I can find a reeeeeeaaaallllly small monitor to fit the bracket and figure out how to make it work. A friend that is building a 747 pit is pushing me toward a small screen.

Today I almost finished the front aluminum. All that is left to do is build a support for the LCD monitor base that will be under the "hood" and cut a small hole in the aluminum for the support arm.

Take care
Ed

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Raceguy wrote:Hi guys

Thank you all for the encouraging words. They are really appreciated.

Lewis the weather has been unseasonably cool the last few weeks. It should be 85 but has been in the mid to upper 70's with low humidity. Been working in the yard a lot to beat the 90's later this week.

Jacques, I should have all of the flight controls working as in the sim. Hopefully when I raise the landing gear the garage door does not go up! :shock:

maxonly, the fuel gauges will be in a pop up window on the main screen or possibly on a small side monitor. Not sure yet. The hydraulic gauge may be in the same popup unless I can find a reeeeeeaaaallllly small monitor to fit the bracket and figure out how to make it work. A friend that is building a 747 pit is pushing me toward a small screen.

Today I almost finished the front aluminum. All that is left to do is build a support for the LCD monitor base that will be under the "hood" and cut a small hole in the aluminum for the support arm.

Take care
Ed

I just don't know what to tell you. Your work on this is simply some of the finest fabrication from scratch I've ever seen. I'm actually beginning to believe this damn thing when finished will FLY !
Dudley Henriques

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

For the guages you might want to check out third party stuff like TynMahn has here;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 20&t=53615

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Dudley, thank you very much for your kind words.

Lewis, thank you for the instrument link.

Take care
Ed

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

This is absolutely amazing (as I've said a couple of times before :wink: )! Great work.

Thanks for the update!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi guys

Thanks Piper.

Not much has been happening in the shop recently due to other projects assigned by the Crew Chief.

Today I did complete what I’m calling the “Environmental Panel”. It will be mounted between the ribs under the radio and IFF panels at floor lever. This does not exist in real planes but in my pit will control the following from left to right:

Small left front pusher fan hidden at lower left front of pit under the dash
Small right front pusher fan hidden at lower right front of pit under the dash
Large exhaust fan installed behind the seat
Electrical power for the 2 dash lights. The brightness will be controlled using a dimmer on each side of the pit
Hour meter. This will record total seat time in the pit. I will track individual liveries using the DAT files.
Green light will be lit when hour meter is activated.

Take care
Ed

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Outstanding ! That's all I can say that has not already been said. Keep up the good work. I do have one question do you ever intend to relocate your pit as it doesn't appear that it will fit thru the door in the photo. :D My fathers first home built required a two piece wing so it would fit up the stair well from the basement. I know of guys who broke out a section of the foundation or wall so they could get their masterpiece out to the light of day. :D

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks dvm. I don't think the Crew Chief would appreciate a cut in the wall to get it in the house.

Also, great start on your throttle!

I will complete the pit in my shop then disassemble it for moving and reconstruction. I will raise the single garage door in my shop for a more direct path. The smallest opening is to my office and that is 29 inches. :( The pit measures 3 feet wide by 6 feet long and 4 feet high so no way will it go in assembled. :shock:

So, each side and the back are removable. The wires for each side have a M/F plug connection where the sides meet the front box. Then I will remove the rest of the components in this order. Windshield frame, MIP, and the front "box" will be unbolted from the base. Then move the base into my office and reassemble in reverse order and hope it still works! :oops:

Ed
Last edited by Raceguy on 19 May 2016, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

Outstanding project, looks amazing!

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Amazing is indeed the word, what skilled hands and a proper calbrated brain :) can do ! I wonder how do you intent to set up the display screen(s) ?
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Where are the 36 inch doors when you need them ? :D

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”