P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Raceguy »

I agree about computers. I love to hate them. :x

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I work with computers, It is a very much love hate relationship in need of constant marriage counselling :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Well Lewis, I just hired a "marriage counselor" for my computer issues and you may know them, Jetline Systems.

I've been talking to Greg and Ken for about a week and just placed an order for a new system. They are only 18 miles from my home and Ken has "offered" to drop by after my new PC is setup to make sure everything is working correctly. It may have something to do with the pics of my cockpit he saw on this forum. :D

Being in sales for 45 years I am very picky about who I deal with for my personal purchases. These days a lot of companies are in it for the money and shove a product at a customer as a "solution" without knowing the problem. Jetline asked a lot of questions about my current PC, what issues I was having and what I wanted as a final result then made a solid recommendation.

I can't wait to see how this new system will perform!

Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Awesome stuff, make sure you say hello from A2A we know the jetline guys well 8)

cheers,
Lewis

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

I did Lewis and they spoke very highly of everyone at A2A.

Ed

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Raceguy wrote:Well Lewis, I just hired a "marriage counselor" for my computer issues and you may know them, Jetline Systems.

I've been talking to Greg and Ken for about a week and just placed an order for a new system. They are only 18 miles from my home and Ken has "offered" to drop by after my new PC is setup to make sure everything is working correctly. It may have something to do with the pics of my cockpit he saw on this forum. :D

Being in sales for 45 years I am very picky about who I deal with for my personal purchases. These days a lot of companies are in it for the money and shove a product at a customer as a "solution" without knowing the problem. Jetline asked a lot of questions about my current PC, what issues I was having and what I wanted as a final result then made a solid recommendation.

I can't wait to see how this new system will perform!

Ed
Congratulations on the new system. You will like it I'm sure. As well as now owning a top of the line computer system you also have become associated with a world class company. Both Greg and Ken are first rate guys and really know their stuff.
When you see Ken tell him I said hello.
Dudley Henriques

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Will do Dudley!

Thanks
Ed

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Great news on the new computer Ed!!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone.

I've had my new PC for a little over 2 weeks and have just about finished setting up all of my controls and software and it is running REALLY great!

Initially we had planned to run most of the software on the new PC and hand off some of the load from the remaining programs to my old one but I decided to do a little test running everything on the new PC. The results were better than I expected. With FSX, Active Sky 2016 weather, my gauges, REX and ORBX scenery and the custom airports that dragged my old system to 9-14 FPS I am getting 50-80 FPS! I would be happy with a smooth 30 but this is much better.

I just finished a flight from Kissimmee to Larkin which is between Daytona and Jacksonville. As you will see in the pictures below Active Sky weather was accurate to the current weather in the area. Even with all of the clouds, lightning and rain the FPS held close to 50.

Since I have my own windshield I normally run with the virtual cockpit forward view which you can see in the second pic but I had the VC showing as I started into the bad weather in the first pic.

You can really see and hear the rain pelting the windscreen! The following pic is what is normally on my screen.

Below you can see a weather update in the green border and the thick clouds and a bolt of lightning on the horizon.

When I run with the virtual cockpit forward view I cannot see the windscreen but when I turn my head to either side it pops up and I can see the wing. I think I'll avoid those dark clouds!

Jetline Systems did a great job building this PC. I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone wanting a great PC and fantastic service. It was supposed to be overclocked to 4.7GHz but they have it running smoothly at 4.8GHz and every little speed bump you can helps with FSX. It is liquid cooled to get the i7 7700K to be steady at that speed and that is something I had thought about doing but adding a liquid to a PC always spooked me! Even the NVIDIA 1070 video card is the Super Clocked model that runs faster and has special cooling than a standard 1070.

Here are a few pics.
Take care
Ed

Here is a quick pic of the current setup.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good stuff, hope the new system gives you many years of happy use, glad its all plug and play for you on that side of things anyway hehe :mrgreen:

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Nice going Ed... good to see you getting in some serious flying with the cockpit!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Good to see you up and flying in your splendid and well deserved cockpit, and with a sweet new system to run it with too. Your patience sure paid off for you. Wishing you many happy hours of flying.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Lewis, Darryl and Tug!

It has been a long and challenging build and I have been honored and humbled by the complimentary comments from everyone here.

Hopefully I am nearing the point where I can just jump in and fly. As Darryl has said before there will always be some kind of maintenance with projects like this either with the cockpit or the software. As I was transferring all of settings from my old W7 PC to the new one W10 let me know that the Creators Build had been installed and I needed to restart my PC.

OK, no big deal. Yeah, right. :roll: After the restart the PC could detect and confirm all of the controls were working fine but FSUIPC could not see 2 of them. I have since read that when updating W10 you should unplug your USB connections. I'm not sure if this is for ALL W10 updates but some have had the same issue with the Creators Build.

There are still a few things planned and as they occur I will update this build but right now I feel the need to turn the fantastic A2A Mustang into the wind and challenge the summer storms we have almost daily here in Florida.

Take care everyone
Ed

PH-JKL
Airman Basic

Post by PH-JKL »

Hi Ed,

That new pc looks like a monster, I'm running my fs pc on a i3 at the moment, with a fair videocard I reach around 35 fps. My newest toy is a short throw beamer which gives a great outside view.

I don't know if anybody ever mentioned it here at the forum, but today I found this website with P-51 parts off the shelf: http://pioneeraerosvc.com/our-shop/

As soon as I start my cockpit I will post some pictures.

take care,

Jeroen
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Jeroen

The new PC is a monster due to the full size case. I have always preferred the larger cases so I can get in there and add parts easily.

In this pic you can see both PC's as I transfer files with the new one next to the cockpit.

Pioneer Aero Service is where I got the placards for my build. They offer "display" and real Mustang parts so you will see some $$$ items because they are for real planes. I was going to get their fuel tank selector plate until I saw that it was $125. I got mine from Shapeways for $35.

When you start your build if you need sources just let me know.

Take care
Ed

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”