Eliteaviator NEW P-51 (Glass Cockpit)

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Eliteaviator NEW P-51 (Glass Cockpit)

Post by caribpilot »

So I just read that a newly build P-51 mustang flew this month (June). It has a turbine engine, carbon fiber body, pressurized cabin, a glass cockpit and more! Here is a link and a photo.

http://www.eliteaviator.com
http://www.eliteaviator.com/_include/im ... 3-full.jpg
M.Carter
Private Pilot

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Eliteaviator NEW P-51 (Glass Cockpit)

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Fascinating, not sure how I feel about it tbh, messing with a classic or updating it to awesome modern design specs?
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Fascinating, not sure how I feel about it tbh, messing with a classic or updating it to awesome modern design specs?
I don't think it's right, it's like putting ABS, ESP, TCS, ect. in an E-type...
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Post by caribpilot »

True...but at least it breathes new life into the aircraft. Looks like the P-51 model will be here to stay if this new model gains popularity. It seems cheaper to operate (or so they say) so I am sure more people will be attracted to it.
M.Carter
Private Pilot

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

I hate the glass cockpit, nothing will change my mind on that. I like how they said the airframe will accommodate a Merlin or Allison engine, although with the drastic difference in aircraft weight the heavier piston engines could be bad for ground handling and braking.

I'd hate to see something like this devalue the presence of a real Mustang- where people don't even look twice because there's one at every airport... But it seems the developer's passion is real, and I wish them the best of luck.

Joe
Joe

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

that's shocking... actually worse than putting it in a museum to hang down from the roof...

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Isn't it a completely new airplane with a new airworthy certificate that doesn't use any actual P-51 parts? From what it looks like it is a completely new airplane that merely looks like a P-51. There have been kitplane P-51 look-a-likes around for years. In that case, it is just simply a rich man's toy, kinda like a 'new' Mercedes Gullwing or a 'new' Dodge Charger. They merely look like the originals.

If they are using actual P-51 airframes, then, like everyone here, I would have a problem with that. Then again, do you remember Cavalier Mustang? They were the ones who originally turned the P-51 into a real civilian aircraft. I bet people then were turned off of warbirds being turned in to civil use lol.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

pilottj wrote:Isn't it a completely new airplane with a new airworthy certificate that doesn't use any actual P-51 parts? From what it looks like it is a completely new airplane that merely looks like a P-51. There have been kitplane P-51 look-a-likes around for years. In that case, it is just simply a rich man's toy, kinda like a 'new' Mercedes Gullwing or a 'new' Dodge Charger. They merely look like the originals.

If they are using actual P-51 airframes, then, like everyone here, I would have a problem with that. Then again, do you remember Cavalier Mustang? They were the ones who originally turned the P-51 into a real civilian aircraft. I bet people then were turned off of warbirds being turned in to civil use lol.

Cheers
TJ
I guess you're right, it is a new plane. I didn't have the patience to load the webpage 1st time. the counter rotating props looks a bit out of place..
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

The Elite P-51 is a brilliant idea the more I think about it and is a real tribute to the ingenious design of the P-51 airframe which really was ahead of it's time. It is such an efficient design, it makes for an excellent high speed personal business plane or air racer. The vintage P-51 is still very a very efficient airplane, even by today's standards. I think the EP-51 honors the original design by keeping it going for many more generations, much like the BT-67 does for the old C-47.

By rebuilding the Mustang with modern carbon parts, sticking a big turboprop up front, you greatly improve an already excellent design and improved engine reliability. Also with a new airframe, you can really fly it's full performance envelope as opposed to the more loving care needed for a 70 year old airframe and engine. That way you wouldn't be flying so many priceless vintage P-51s into the ground at Reno. A carbon P-51 with a Merlin or Allison would give you the same 'sound' with a fresh airframe that can really be pushed and modded to race.

Now if it were me, as long as there is going to be modern glass, I would stick a HUD in there too. If you are going to be flying such a beautiful airplane, you should fly it looking out the window whenever possible. 8)

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Criticism or Praise I'd still love to see one in person. Be fascinating to see how she performs in the air 8)

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

I love it all.... 615 KTAS!!!!! Sexy! :twisted:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Indeed quite the hotrod, I wonder if she will have the P-51 whistle!? :twisted:

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

That 500gal fuel capacity is curious, would there still be a 2nd seat? Maybe if you put fuel tanks where the gun bays were and maybe where the supercharger was you might get 500 gal. 3200 mile range does make my bladder cringe a little tho LOL. Even at 540kts, that is still almost a 6hr trip, you would have to have a very loyal and un-claustrophobic passenger to be cooped up in the back seat of a Mustang for 6hrs :mrgreen:

Cheers
TJ

KPenn5
Airman

Post by KPenn5 »

Since this is a completely "new" airframe and not using existing P-51's, I have no issue with this. Personally, the P-51's you see flying today are bastardized with the second seat..
--Kyle--
ImageImage

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Did they not convert any into trainers? I know the Spitfire trainers were primarily a post war program but some were converted during.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”