A2A Simulations - Oshkosh 2014

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: A2A Simulations - Oshkosh 2014

Post by Lewis - A2A »

This morning we did a little video interview for flightsim global. Here we are with Tom to grilled us for 15-30mins thismorning at the booth

Phillips 66 one of our sponsors stopped by to say hello and get some stick time. Here Bill a great guy with Oil realises he aint so good with wings!

msflights.net chaps have not only been in attendance at Oshkosh but also greatly helped us out, big shout out thanks to Jake and Liam for all there help today at the booth

A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Capt Jakey showing what is turning out to be a very popular feature for training the simulated pre-flight walk-around to a booth visitor

Pilot and A2A Customer Wen gives his girlfriend and soon to be pilot in training, Elizabeth a quick lesson on how using an A2A Simulations sim can help her with her real world training. Though as you can see, it went slightly pear shaped but she seemed to enjoy herself nonetheless

The T-28's all lined up

Beautiful P-38's

Corsair

The Avenger!

A couple of early wings,

P-51 Crazy Horse taxing past us

Meeting up with Chris Palmer from Angle of Attack, great guy and good to finally put a face to the voice of the many pod casts!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

After another busy day at the booth Scott and Lewis are ready to drop. Luckily vendors can stay in the hanger after closing and the chairs we have in our booth are super comfortable!

In case things ever went wrong Scott's Plan B appears to involve Lemonade stalls,...

New mods to the A2A Comanche spinner, wet sock technology keeping Chrome spinners wet and smelly for up to 24 hours

Not the best panorama but you get the idea. A view of the pavilion Boeing Square this evening whilst the band plays to one side, the DC3, B24, B17 AND C-17 and more all in one space with a gig and stage makes it all seem so surreal!

The beautiful B-17 even in darkness

My own B-17 Selfie!

Waist gunner

Rivets of the '17

Corsair painted in Disney's Planes colours,

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Great photos Lewis! I am jealous!
I can tell you that B17 is great! I took a flight on it when it came to California last year. Best money I ever spent.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Lewis - A2A wrote:

I see Shannan Hendricks' Gannet is there. Maybe a few more pictures of Janet the Gannet that before you leave, please ? :)

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

Paul K wrote:
Lewis - A2A wrote:

I see Shannan Hendricks' Gannet is there. Maybe a few more pictures of Janet the Gannet that before you leave, please ? :)
I was going to say the same thing :)

DeskPilot518
Senior Airman

Post by DeskPilot518 »

Oh man, I wish I was there!!! :cry:
Looks like an amazing amount of fun! :x

B.
My blog!
DeskPilot's Flight Sim Blog:
http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Thanks again for all of the great pictures. :D

Keep smiling
Tug :)

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Wonderful pics :D but how do you keep the drool off of the camera 8)

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

The Corsair '489' (N409TW) isn't painted in "Disney Planes" markings, it simply has a decal on either side of the cowl from the movie (remaining from a photoshoot earlier this year with the Air Tractor painted as "Dusty Crophopper"). Aside from those temporary decals, it is one of the top most authentic Corsair restorations out there, and its paint scheme, although generic, is based completely on original late 43/early 44 specifications (the fuselage number comes from the last three digits of its actual BuNo.). It is the only Corsair flying today with an early double-braced canopy (as seen on F4U-1A's and early F4U-1D's). If you look under the starboard-side canopy rail, it has painted "Col. 'Slim' Lindbergh" and three kill markings, as a dedication to Charles Lindbergh's service in the Pacific during WWII, flying action with Corsair and P-38 squadrons, while working on improving their range potential. When it debuted in 2010 at Oshkosh, it was the WWII Grand Champion winner. At that time, it was also fitted with a rare Brewster center-line bomb rack, as seen on early Corsairs in the Pacific, complete with a depth-bomb. Several weeks back I made available a repaint set for the AF Corsair depicting this restoration in its various forms over the last four years (when it first debuted, it had the name "Kathleen" on the cowl).

As far as new warbird restorations go at Oshkosh this year, it is extremely slim (especially when compared to last year, when they had to be quite creative in recognizing the numerous superbly authentic restorations that debuted). They say the warbird numbers are higher this year than any year in the past, but its from the increase in numbers of aircraft like the AT-6, T-28, Stearmans, etc. The only new warbird restorations that have debuted this year are the Fagen Fighters' B-25J "Paper Doll" and Charlie Cartledge's TBM Avenger. No new/recent fighter restorations at all. Mustang restorations such as the combat-vet P-51D "Sierra Sue II" (under restoration by Aircorps Aviation), the P-51C "Berlin Express" (under restoration by Pacific Fighters), and the repair/rebuild job P-51D "Frances Dell" (the former "Glamorous Gal", being restored by Midwest Aero), were thought earlier this year to possibly be debuting at Oshkosh this year, but all are still being worked on/haven't yet flown - I would hate to think that any of them decided not to get their aircraft done in time simply because they thought one of the others was going to be there - in the last decade, there has been a lot weighed on getting that Grand Champion award at Oshkosh. When "Sierra Sue II" is at Oshkosh next summer, it's going to blow away all the competition there could possibly be. If you're a Mustang fan, you really must be following that restoration (through the Aircorps Aviation website and Facebook page), as it is the closest restoration to how Mustangs actually looked/were in 1944/45, inside and out, than any other Mustang restoration to date (and that includes restorations like "Upupa Epops" and "Happy Jack's Go Buggy").

One of the cool things to have been seen at Oshkosh in the warbirds area this year, is the bevy of B-25 Mitchells. Throughout the week there have been six B-25's on-site (not including the EAA static example). These being the CAF Minnesota Wing B-25J "Miss Mitchell", the Pat Harker/C&P Aviation B-25J "Lady Luck", the Fagen Fighters B-25J "Paper Doll", the CAF Devil Dog Sqd. PBJ/B-25J "Devil Dog", the Larry Kelly B-25J "Panchito", and Rod Lewis'/Lewis Air Legends B-25J "Russian to Get Ya". And as this list shows, all three of the currently Minnesota-based B-25's were together for the first time.
John Terrell

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

So a fictional repaint for the corsair that just happens to look exactly like the dinsey version is not a Disney version bomber. Right got it.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Bomber_12th wrote:The Corsair '489' (N409TW) isn't painted in "Disney Planes" markings, it simply has a decal on either side of the cowl from the movie (remaining from a photoshoot earlier this year with the Air Tractor painted as "Dusty Crophopper").
A quick N number check shows it as N209TW...

fwiw :P
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Sorry Rob, that is correct N209TW (the '209' comes from its Salvadorian AF number).

Lewis, I'm not trying to flame you for your statement, I'm just saying that to say it is painted as a Disney character demeans its true authentic restoration/paint scheme, and to provide a bit more information about the aircraft (for those that may know nothing about that particular aircraft). The only tie-in to the movie is the cowling decals which were added earlier this year, for one event, and according to Doug Rozendaal, who has been in-charge of campaigning the aircraft this year (its main pilot), the decals just haven't been removed yet. The details of the actual aircraft's paint scheme comes from planning that was done by its original owners, Frank Arrufat, then John O'Connor, accomplished through the fantastic historical research by Airpower Unlimited, back between 2009 and 2010.

If you are interested in learning more about the aircraft (hopefully!), and to have a repaint of this aircraft for the A2A/Aircraft Factory Corsair, please see here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... ght=N209TW

Also, be sure to get the update: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... pdates-zip

John Terrell

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well its Friday evening. Was super busy today with all manner of people so I only snapped a few shots.

David Klain old VATSIM president popped by to say hello and give him and his daughter a go of the latest in simulation technology at the A2A booth. It was great to meet David for some flightsim talk

A Portugese Airbus pilot tries the A2A Simulations simulator after advice from his commercial pilot in training friend who uses the Accu-sim C172 Trainer to enhance his training

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

King Air pilot and A2A customer swings by the booth to ask about projects in development. Though we couldn't help him out too much :wink:

ERAU Teacher pops round to say hello at the A2A booth and talk business to see if we can help raise the bar in flight sim technology in the classroom for the new generation.

SimHQ member '24_Fan' and A2A Simulations customer came to say hello as well, love meeting our customers always great to meet face to face and in this case special for me as Simhq is was my first ever forum and led me onto the path of flightsimming so meeting fellow members is a plus!

These young lads seemed very happy to meet Scott. It seems that the 'Hi I'm Scott Gentile from A2A Simulations,...' videos really do have an effect. Maybe we should stop taking hte mick outta Scott for the intro's

Scott takes time out in the evening to talk to another fellow Comanche owner, there are a hell of a lot of these beasties here!

Lewis and Scott relaxing at the flight line after another busy day on there feet

The competitive side of Scott making an appearance as the evenings entertainment appears to be Scott verses Jake from MSFlights.net in an aircraft serial vision contest across the vintage camping ground. Quite simply the most surreal moment of the trip so far, I think even the flight line crew and security thought they where nuts!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”