Which one should I start off with??

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Smoothice
Airman

Which one should I start off with??

Post by Smoothice »

Hello all!

My first post...

I am a pretty well seasoned SIM pilot. In fact, I think I remember having the Mustang when it was SHOCKWAVE about 10 years ago!

I would like to get your opinions...

I will probably end up with both mustangs, but if you had to choose one, either the P-51 or the Civilian version, which one would you choose, and why...

thanks!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Which one should I start off with??

Post by DHenriques_ »

Smoothice wrote:Hello all!

My first post...

I am a pretty well seasoned SIM pilot. In fact, I think I remember having the Mustang when it was SHOCKWAVE about 10 years ago!

I would like to get your opinions...

I will probably end up with both mustangs, but if you had to choose one, either the P-51 or the Civilian version, which one would you choose, and why...

thanks!
When we did the civilian Mustang we considered that pilots flying a high performance fighter in MSFS might appreciate being able to do more with the airplane than simply fly it around.
We stuck a complete instrument and avionics package in the Mustang for you so you can not only go joy riding locally but if you like you can file an IFR flight plan and make an instrument cross country in the A2A Civvy P51.
Your choice of course, but just for the options available, you get it ALL with the Civvy Mustang.
Dudley Henriques

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

I have the Accu-Simmed P51 Military because I want to fly it as would have flown in the war. I don't have the Civilian version so can't comment on that version.

The Accu-simmed P51 of today, is a totally different bird from the one of the Shockwave era! :D She must be flown by the book :twisted: RTFM is mandatry.

Here are a couple of links by Dudley Henriques, A2A's own Chief Pilot. He has many, many hours with this aircraft.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 93&t=32663

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 94&t=31684

She can be a handful on take off but is a true joy to fly. You will not go wrong with your choice of either version but be sure to get the Accu-Sim add on as it adds so very much to the immersion.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit: As I was typing my response, the man himself responded to your post!
Last edited by Mazo on 19 Aug 2014, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

Smoothice
Airman

Post by Smoothice »

Thanks for the information. I think I will start with the CIV. Yes, I wanted to take it airport-to-airport and such.

Can't wait to learn!

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I started with the military version and flew many, many hours on that one before I got the civilian. That way I was stepping up in comfort rather than down. You will love it no matter what version you get, but get both eventually! You will love the different feels and looks. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

A couple of things to add. The mil version has the wing guns and ammo (weight). Also, can carry and use fuel drop tanks, bombs, rockets. The civ version is lighter, a bit faster, but has less range.
I have both. If I simulate a WW2 environment, I take the mil version. For a more modern world, the civ version.
If I had to choose which one, I would go with the mil version.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Since getting the civilian Mustang, I fly the military version a lot less. The civilian model is basically exactly the P-51s we see today at airshows, as so many of them have modernized cockpits.

You chose.... wisely.

Joe
Joe

AndiK
Airman First Class

Post by AndiK »

I'd definitely say, get the civilian Mustang. Partly because it's the more capable platform, and partly for the purposes of realism. Like others have mentioned here, you have your hangar, and your Cherokee 180, you've got your Cessna 172, you've got your taildragger J-3, and you've got the apple in your eye, your Mustang - now what's this Mustang going to look like, parked next to those planes? Will it have rockets, Brownings and War Emergency power or will it have modern Com radios, a mode C transponder, and an autopilot? Most Mustangs flying around airshows today will have some modern amenities installed - and so should yours ;)

Do get it though, it's a blast, more than a handful (I'd be terrified to fly one IRL, to be honest), but highly recommended.
ImageImageImageImageImage

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Having both I'd say they feel totally different. I guess it's the weight of the military version. However I fly the military version slightly more than the civilian version if the weather is good. If practicing ifr stuff or flying online with atc I'll hop into the civ just makes things easier.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Smoothice
Airman

Post by Smoothice »

Ok, I think I am going to go with the CIV version, and the Accusim. But, is the RED airplane the only option? I think I have seen other CIV mustangs painted differently.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Smoothice wrote:Ok, I think I am going to go with the CIV version, and the Accusim. But, is the RED airplane the only option? I think I have seen other CIV mustangs painted differently.
There are many many liveries available here on the forums for the Civilian Mustang.
Dudley Henriques

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Smooth,

In this forum (P51) there are probably links to a bunch of nice repaints! On other forums, such as sim outhouse and OzX you will find them as well. Also, it is well worth your time to pour through the many entires in the P51 forum to glean knowledge and tips about your new purchase. Anything that Dudley H. Has written about flight characteristics is probably worth its weight in gold! Finally, after you have installed your new Mustang, don't forget to run the 7/15/14 update to bring your new plane up to the latest patch.

JP

Rocket_Bird
Senior Airman

Post by Rocket_Bird »

The Civil P-51 is a good choice. The military version gets you closer to the old WWII feel of course, but the Civil P-51 is fully IFR capable and has autopilot... fly with one hand, keep beer in the other!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Smoothice
Airman

Post by Smoothice »

One last question...

if I get both P-51 programs, MIL and CIV, how do I load Accusim? Is there a order in which they should be loaded onto my computer? Thanks for all the help!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

simply install the aircraft and the accu-sim package and then make sure the last thing you do is run the latest updater. As of this time the latest is here;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=41279

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”