Need a good stick for this amazing aircraft.

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
spacejunkee
Staff Sergeant

Need a good stick for this amazing aircraft.

Post by spacejunkee »

I need a good stick for the Mustang before I drop the coin for her, does anybody have any suggestions?

Looking for something that is not overly expensive but has a really good feel.. A little pricey isn't a problem.

Thank you in advance.

Jon
PC SPECS: Win 11 PRO | AOC 34" Ultra Wide Curved |
Intel 13700KF CPU | G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 6800 2x16GB 34-45-45-108 |
ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 4070 Ti OC | 2 x Samsung 980 PRO M.2 2TB Gen 4 X4

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Need a good stick for this amazing aircraft.

Post by DHenriques_ »

spacejunkee wrote:I need a good stick for the Mustang before I drop the coin for her, does anybody have any suggestions?

Looking for something that is not overly expensive but has a really good feel.. A little pricey isn't a problem.

Thank you in advance.

Jon
In the years I've been working with flight simulation I've had the opportunity to use just about every controller available. There are many good controllers you can get. Naturally the better ones are a bit more expensive. Some are VERY expensive. As I said, I've had them all.
Everything considered my personal choice after using them all has been the CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, and Saitek Combat Pedals.
Don't know where you are in the world but down the line if you need service on a controller post warranty you can save a fortune in shipping costs if the supplier is located in your country. For me, CH is fine as they are local and have great customer service.
Dudley Henriques

spacejunkee
Staff Sergeant

Post by spacejunkee »

I appreciate the reply and information. It's time to step it up and get my virtual tail wheel endorsement. What better plane to start with than a super high-performance complex beast!

I'm thinking about doing this prior to getting any more flight gear: GT Omega Pro Racing Simulator Supreme - Black-red Pro Seat Anybody seen one of these before? I've heard that their office racing chairs are quite good but without touching one who knows.

Jon
ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 4070 Ti OC | 2 x Samsung 980 PRO M.2 2TB Gen 4 X4

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Post by dacamp66 »

I use a Mad Catz V.1 three axis stick -w- built in throttle, the cool thing about it is that it is totally ambidextrous, with all controls arranged around the center fore-aft axis, this means that both lefties and righties can use it without having to do any "surgery" of any kind at all on the stick. the primary reason I use this type of stick is the fact that I also play Kerbal Space Program (check it out, its really fun! ( https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ )) as well as Orbiter Space Flight Simulator ( https://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/ (FREEWARE!)) if it weren't for this, I would probably go for a yoke/throttles/pedals set (probably Saitek or some such) just a thought, but you might wanna check out amazon or craigslist for some used gear, might get something cheaper than for new, the drawback is, of course, CAVEAT EMPTOR (let the buyer beware)
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

NAA551WB
Senior Airman

Post by NAA551WB »

I've had a Saitek X52 since 2005, I'm on my 3rd one. I guess I'm just so used to it and I have all the buttons programmed exactly how I want. I'm sure there are better ones out there but for a hundred bucks you cant really go wrong in my opinion.

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

I have to echo what Dudley suggest, the CH Fighterstick. Very well built (made in the USA) and extremely smooth and accurate movement.

kapjadi
Senior Airman

Post by kapjadi »

NAA551WB wrote:I've had a Saitek X52 since 2005, I'm on my 3rd one. I guess I'm just so used to it and I have all the buttons programmed exactly how I want. I'm sure there are better ones out there but for a hundred bucks you cant really go wrong in my opinion.

That's the reason why even I got a yoke, I'm still using my old x-52 and still in good working condition but I use it only for flying spitfire, mustang and the cub. :)

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I'm with Dudley on this one, CH makes an outstanding stick and Saitek makes nice pedals.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: In the years I've been working with flight simulation I've had the opportunity to use just about every controller available. There are many good controllers you can get. Naturally the better ones are a bit more expensive. Some are VERY expensive. As I said, I've had them all.
Everything considered my personal choice after using them all has been the CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, and Saitek Combat Pedals.
Dudley ( and Scott too ), disregarding price for a moment, would you still recommend those CH products before such sticks as the Thrusmaster Warthog and the Saitek X-55 Rhino ? I'm interested because once my current Saitek X52 Pro goes pear-shaped ( as it inevitably will do ), I'll be browsing the market once more, and looking for durability, precision and functionality ( lots of programmable buttons and switches ). Price is a secondary consideration, as long as I get what I want from what I purchase. However, if the CH sticks really are much better value for money, I'd consider them, even if they don't have all the bells and whistles that more expensive ones have.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Paul K wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote: In the years I've been working with flight simulation I've had the opportunity to use just about every controller available. There are many good controllers you can get. Naturally the better ones are a bit more expensive. Some are VERY expensive. As I said, I've had them all.
Dudley, disregarding price for a moment, would you still recommend those CH products before such sticks as the Thrusmaster Warthog and the Saitek X-55 Rhino ? I'm interested because once my current Saitek X52 Pro goes pear-shaped ( as it inevitably will do ), I'll be browsing the market once more, and looking for durability, precision and functionality ( lots of programmable buttons and switches ). Price is a secondary consideration, as long as I get what I want from what I purchase. However, if the CH sticks really are much better value for money, I'd consider them, even if they don't have all the bells and whistles that more expensive ones have.
I've owned both the Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar, and the new Saitek X55 Hotas setups. After trying them all I settled on CH for various reasons. First, although CH supplies a very credible and capable CH Manager with their hardware (the others do as well have supplemental software) that greatly expands controller assignments, I have found that the 15 assignments available for EACH CH controller (Fighter Stick and Pro Throttle in my case) are more than enough to assign all that's necessary for me to operate both prop and jet aircraft in FSX.
An added bonus for me is that A2A supplies a configurator with their aircraft and that is there to use as well.
I don't use FSUIPC although I have a registered version in the simulator. All my assignments are either through DirectX in FSX settings or on the A2A configurators. More than ample !
My bottom line was that CH supplies realism and extremely smooth control with no driver issues at all. I've used their yoke and pedals as well and have had no issues at all with their quality.
The fact that CH is based in the US is a huge plus for me if things do eventually need replacing. Shipping cost is HUGE these days. My Warthog needed a pot which Thrustmaster said they would replace, and they did so at no cost. The shipping however to get the controller to them was $75.
All in all, I rate CH very highly and recommend them all the time.
Dudley Henriques

spacejunkee
Staff Sergeant

Post by spacejunkee »

Thanks to everyone who posted, looks like CH makes the most sense for me. I really do appreciate all the comments and information.

Jon

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:I've owned both the Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar, and the new Saitek X55 Hotas setups. After trying them all I settled on CH for various reasons. First, although CH supplies a very credible and capable CH Manager with their hardware (the others do as well have supplemental software) that greatly expands controller assignments, I have found that the 15 assignments available for EACH CH controller (Fighter Stick and Pro Throttle in my case) are more than enough to assign all that's necessary for me to operate both prop and jet aircraft in FSX.
An added bonus for me is that A2A supplies a configurator with their aircraft and that is there to use as well.
I don't use FSUIPC although I have a registered version in the simulator. All my assignments are either through DirectX in FSX settings or on the A2A configurators. More than ample !
My bottom line was that CH supplies realism and extremely smooth control with no driver issues at all. I've used their yoke and pedals as well and have had no issues at all with their quality.
The fact that CH is based in the US is a huge plus for me if things do eventually need replacing. Shipping cost is HUGE these days. My Warthog needed a pot which Thrustmaster said they would replace, and they did so at no cost. The shipping however to get the controller to them was $75.
All in all, I rate CH very highly and recommend them all the time.
Dudley Henriques
Dudley, thanks hugely for that. Interesting that, having tried them all out, you find the older CH stick superior. I'm probably easily dazzled by appearance, knobs and buttons, and so lose sight of the basics such as precision and long-term reliability. I'll definitely put CH at the top of the list of potential X-52 replacements.

Thanks again. :)

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

I'm with Dudley on this one as well.....
I have my CH as a backup for my home system....That's because my home system is custom built.....

Salty57
Airman First Class

Post by Salty57 »

Since we are on the topic of controllers, I have never used a yoke or a push-pull throttle for FSX. I started many years ago playing combat simulators and I currently use the Logitech G940 which has been a great all around controller. However, I started RL PPL training about three months ago and now wish that I had a Cessna style setup to practice with (mainly because the HOTAS is opposite from GA aircraft). I have been thinking of Saitek's Cessna style controller's (although to get everything would be over $550, so expensive). I am wondering what others might recommend?

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

There are pros and cons to both the Saitek Cessna yoke and CH Pro Flight yoke. Both of them cost roughly the same and the next step in yokes costs MUCH more (such as PFC), so unless you have oodles to spend, these are your only options. A lot of people don't like that the Saitek yokes have a center "detent," which helps center the yoke but is something the real aircraft don't have. CH yokes have no detent and are smoother as a result. However CH yokes use springs to tension the yoke shaft, and many people don't like the varying tension, as well as the occasional "springy" sound you get.

Personally I prefer the CH, again because it's made in the USA and I like its smooth motion. I recommend not spending extra for the Eclipse yoke from CH, since all it really adds is a few extra buttons, a couple of wheel axes, and a gimmicky "rudder pedal" system you can operate with your hands, sort of like paddle shifters in a car. IMO if you plan on having a separate throttle and rudder pedals, get the regular CH yoke which can be had for less than $100 ($99 on Amazon currently.)

By the way, you can mix and match Saitek or CH pedals, yokes, throttles, etc. They will all play happily together.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”