Need a good stick for this amazing aircraft.

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Need a good stick for this amazing aircraft.

Post by dvm »

I agree with Dudley and Scott the CH Fighterstick would be my choice. I have two of them. One I used for about 6 years and a wire fatigued on one of the buttons and became intermittent. Bought a replacement and then had CH send me a new harness and I repaired the old stick. I now have two in working order. Nice feel and relatively long throws compared to lots of other sticks that are not as well made. I have never had a bad or dirty pot in any CH product. I would be using them now but I have a force feedback stick I have been using for about 5 years that I like.

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

I just replaced my Saitek X52 yesterday because it was wearing out (bad centering on a regular basis) and then saw this post. If you've already made a selection, Jon, then maybe this info will help someone else out. :D

I purchased a Saitek X55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. system for $200 off of Newegg.com. Here are my immediate thoughts:

-It is actually a two-unit bundle; throttle and stick are separate controllers.

-The feel is SIGNIFICANTLY better than my X52 (which admittedly was beat up and old) despite using a similar centering-spring setup.

-It has adjustable springs; you can swap out the primary centering/tension spring for a lighter weight one if you like, making for a gentler feel.

-As far as I can tell, one cannot lock out the twist-grip axis (usually used for rudder) like you could on the X52. I thought this would be annoying, but it hasn't bothered me yet, as I just leave the axis unassigned.

-The build quality is a mixture of they-did-it-to-look-cool mixed with some poor fitting; as an United States citizen, it pains me to say that I think this stick embodies what all you European folk mean when you say the fit and finish on 'murican cars isn't great: everything works, but the panels don't quite line up and it feels plastic-y despite its metallic accents.

-It is HUGE compared to the X-52: the throttle's base is 6"x9" (15.24cm by 22.86cm), and the stick has the exact same footprint. Together, they fill my desk.

-It has, frankly, too many buttons; some were obviously tacked on for coolness factor (metal toggle switches UNDER the throttles, virtually unusable). While this is sometimes annoying, the real aircraft I am training in now features a very congested throttle area with similarly annoying switch placement, so I guess you could call it realistic.

-There are many, many axes available for assigning; one could have a lot of fun with the Input Configuator for the P-51! My cockpit vent lever has its own dial! :D

Anywho, I will report back if it catastrophically fails on me or anything changes. Thus far I am satisfied with my purchase and, after assigning all my usual assignments, I still have about 20 buttons to assign (not kidding!), so there's still lots of experimenting left for me to do.

Good luck in your search, Jon!

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Pistonpilot wrote:I just replaced my Saitek X52 yesterday because it was wearing out (bad centering on a regular basis) and then saw this post. If you've already made a selection, Jon, then maybe this info will help someone else out. :D

I purchased a Saitek X55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. system for $200 off of Newegg.com. Here are my immediate thoughts:

-It is actually a two-unit bundle; throttle and stick are separate controllers.

-The feel is SIGNIFICANTLY better than my X52 (which admittedly was beat up and old) despite using a similar centering-spring setup.

-It has adjustable springs; you can swap out the primary centering/tension spring for a lighter weight one if you like, making for a gentler feel.

-As far as I can tell, one cannot lock out the twist-grip axis (usually used for rudder) like you could on the X52. I thought this would be annoying, but it hasn't bothered me yet, as I just leave the axis unassigned.

-The build quality is a mixture of they-did-it-to-look-cool mixed with some poor fitting; as an United States citizen, it pains me to say that I think this stick embodies what all you European folk mean when you say the fit and finish on 'murican cars isn't great: everything works, but the panels don't quite line up and it feels plastic-y despite its metallic accents.

-It is HUGE compared to the X-52: the throttle's base is 6"x9" (15.24cm by 22.86cm), and the stick has the exact same footprint. Together, they fill my desk.

-It has, frankly, too many buttons; some were obviously tacked on for coolness factor (metal toggle switches UNDER the throttles, virtually unusable). While this is sometimes annoying, the real aircraft I am training in now features a very congested throttle area with similarly annoying switch placement, so I guess you could call it realistic.

-There are many, many axes available for assigning; one could have a lot of fun with the Input Configuator for the P-51! My cockpit vent lever has its own dial! :D

Anywho, I will report back if it catastrophically fails on me or anything changes. Thus far I am satisfied with my purchase and, after assigning all my usual assignments, I still have about 20 buttons to assign (not kidding!), so there's still lots of experimenting left for me to do.

Good luck in your search, Jon!

-Ian C
I had the X55 on trial for a week and returned it. It's a fine unit and very well made. My only complaint was a slight ratcheting in the throttles using settings in FSX. Probably can be tweaked out but I didn't have the time to fool with it and quite frankly the CH Pro throttle didn't have this issue with default drivers.

Wishing you better luck with yours. I think it's just a matter of individual taste really.
BTW, you CAN lock the rudder out of the stick on the X55. There is a setting to do this using the Saitek software. It's in their settings as an option and in the manual.
Dudley Henriques

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Just a quick question - do any of the CH sticks have a twist-grip rudder control, or do you need pedals ?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Paul K wrote:Just a quick question - do any of the CH sticks have a twist-grip rudder control, or do you need pedals ?
The Fighterstick doesn't. I don't know about their less expensive sticks.
Dudley Henriques

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Paul K wrote:Just a quick question - do any of the CH sticks have a twist-grip rudder control, or do you need pedals ?
The Fighterstick doesn't. I don't know about their less expensive sticks.
Dudley Henriques
Okay, thanks for that Dudley. I'll read up on it.

akmatov
Airman First Class

Post by akmatov »

Just a comment. I have both the CH Eclipe Yoke and the Saitek ProFlight Yoke. I much prefer the Saitek. For one thing it mounts on a desk/table much more easily than the awkward CH which mounts at an angle with the throttles ticking up on top. Also, for whatever reason, I'm finding the Saitek to operate much more smoothly, partly I suspect because I was able to mount it more firmly. The included Throttle Quad include six programmable buttons as well. Also, with the Saitek, you enter into an flight panel 'ecology' where you can add a number of add-on physical instrument units at fairly reasonable cost. I have flown, poorly, on and off, for years with a joystick; but with the yoke I find I have much finer control; hence I really like it.

raymcdonnell
Airman Basic

Post by raymcdonnell »

Just got the A2A P51 Civilian Mustang with accusim and it is wonderful. Thanks for such a great simulation.

I find the control setup makes a huge difference to flying enjoyment and being left handed it is difficult to find a good solution - so I have adapted things to suit my needs.
First and foremost I use a Microsoft Sidewinder 2 force feedback stick with FSForce2 software to give superb feel for all flying forces, stick shake, ground roll, landing weight (thump or kiss) etc. With this I use a set of CH pedals and Saitek throttle quadrant. Both the joystick and quadrant are mounted on a pair of speaker stands to put them at the right height to each side. The quadrant is mounted in a A5 box file so the levers move for and aft and the box also mounts a home made trim wheel, flaps lever and two other axis controls which for the Mustang serve as Airleron and Rudder trim. I have changed the joystick handle for a CH flightstick pro to make it comfortable for a left hander and added 2 extra 4 way multiway switches which connect across to the controller in my A5 box via an ethernet cable so I have lots of control at my fingertips.
I absolutely love the Force Feedback effects the sidewinder gives and it really suits the Mustang.
Cheers
Ray McDonnell

matt_smith
Senior Airman

Post by matt_smith »

Personally I couldn't live without my HOTAS Warthog, saying its sturdy is one thing, it feels as tough as an A-10. I don;t use any of the profiling software with FSX, I assign all my axis' and buttons with FSUIPC. Also having hall effect sensors is a vast improvement over pots, specially if like me you progressed from the Saitek Pro Flight range. Very expensive for a joystick everyone told me I was mad paying £360 for a joystick but everyone who's used it is quite literally blown away by how good it feels, looks and operates. I still use my Saitek yokes and throttles though and plan to get the combat pedals as the look so much better than the standard Pro Flight ones. Strangely enough out of 2x Pro Flight yokes and 4x Pro Flight throttle quadrants its the rudder pedals that have lasted the longest and given me the least issues.

nullack
Senior Airman

Post by nullack »

Dudley thanks for the info

How is the ch fighterstick 3 axis? It doesnt twist does it, that would annoy me I think

As to the comparison to the hotas warthog. The warty has 16 bit precision hall effect sensors. Surely thats better than analogue pots? I respect youve tried both, can you expand on your experience between the two please?
A2A Accusim Piper Cherokee 180, Piper Comanche 250, Cessna 172, Cessna 182, Civilian P-51 Mustang, Military P-51 Mustang, B-17 Flying Fortress, T-6 Texan

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

nullack wrote:Dudley thanks for the info

How is the ch fighterstick 3 axis? It doesnt twist does it, that would annoy me I think

As to the comparison to the hotas warthog. The warty has 16 bit precision hall effect sensors. Surely thats better than analogue pots? I respect youve tried both, can you expand on your experience between the two please?
CH has a very effective method of handling its axis for the Fighterstick. They use a single axis laterally and a single axis for pitch. These are free to move in ANY direction simultaneously which gives you complete control in all degrees of the circle. I like this system very much. The argument concerning Halls and Pots as this pertains to CH favoring Halls might be grossly overdone. CH to my knowledge use high quality pots which have given me YEARS of good service.
I like to think of CH as I do my Apple Computers. When you go to use them they just work, and work well, and work consistently.
I can't recommend CH highly enough. As I said, I've tried literally every controller out there. Some "look cooler" than the CH brand but I've had issues with almost every one I've tried except my CH Products. CH is like the Energizer Bunny. They just keep on "truck'in". In my opinion WELL worth the investment.
Presently I use the CH Quad Throttle, the Fighterstick, and the CH Pedals. Covers any and all aircraft from Cubs to fast jets. :-)
Dudley Henriques

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
nullack wrote:Dudley thanks for the info

CH has a very effective method of handling its axis for the Fighterstick. They use a single axis laterally and a single axis for pitch. These are free to move in ANY direction simultaneously which gives you complete control in all degrees of the circle. I like this system very much. The argument concerning Halls and Pots as this pertains to CH favoring Halls might be grossly overdone. CH to my knowledge use high quality pots which have given me YEARS of good service.
I like to think of CH as I do my Apple Computers. When you go to use them they just work, and work well, and work consistently.
I can't recommend CH highly enough. As I said, I've tried literally every controller out there. Some "look cooler" than the CH brand but I've had issues with almost every one I've tried except my CH Products. CH is like the Energizer Bunny. They just keep on "truck'in". In my opinion WELL worth the investment.
Presently I use the CH Quad Throttle, the Fighterstick, and the CH Pedals. Covers any and all aircraft from Cubs to fast jets. :-)
Dudley Henriques
What issues did you have with hotas warthog ? What about the 16 bit resolution is that not a significant advantage for the warthog ?

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”