Iridescent repaint in the works

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Iridescent repaint in the works

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

I just made a beautiful white corkscrew on the spinner but it won't work because there is no animation at all on the spinner itself to show motion so the cork screw just sits there and looks like the prop spinner is turning UNDER the paint lol. Dammit A2A!! lol

Also, worn areas on tires.

Update

Last edited by EightyFiftyFive on 13 Sep 2014, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

I mean it looks great while the engine is cranking over but one it starts the animation is gone or it doesn't speed up. It just sits there in one spot. Now of course you can paint the other half of the spinner but that only works to simulate motion if your colors are going across the spinner 90 degrees. What that means is if you paint the front half of the spinner white and black and then paint the other half or the motion side of the spinner on the paint kit then you would paint it a gray'ish color to simulate the white and black in motion which would then look like gray realistically... but when the paint follows the rotation of the spinner as in the cork screw design since there is no motion modeled into this area that particular pattern just sits there. You can't blur it or anything else because then it just looks like a blur sitting still which looks worse. The animation has to be added to the spinner to get this effect to work and not just a blurry paint section to simulate it.

I'll see If I can find something about this to manipulate this but I highly don't see this happening. Any ideas A2A? If not then I will not be able to use the cork screw. :( :( :( :(

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

The P-51 isn't the same as the cherokee or 172? I've played around with that on those and it doesn't blur it, but it does put it in motion and will even change direction of appeared motion on prop speed changes....bummer

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

No it just barely moves and I mean very very little. It looks awesome during the cranking but after starting it barely moves at all.
I'll have to check that out on the 180. You can do so by just putting one little dot or a small line of paint on the spinner to see if it rotates or not too.

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

OK just checked it out on the 180 and there's not enough animation there either to animate the corkscrew. At Idle it works a little but any increase of throttle then it just stops moving and almost completely so thats not realistic at all. They just weren't set up for this type of animation using this kind of design. Oh well no big deal. Time to move on.

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

WOW, AWESOME!! This has come a long way! And, considering FSX doesn't seem to allow for the flop you were originally looking for, it looks like you're real close anyway.

I am still super new to this, but, from what i've been able to play with, you would need 2 spec files to accomplish that "Chameleon" flop.
However, I did think of something I can't test because I can't open fresnel files at the moment, can you fake the color with the reflection? Have you tried that? If that works, It might be the key to always having the same color facing you. As opposed to the spec highlight bounce.

The canopy is killer!
A little tinting from the inside may be natural. If necessary, you can subdue the inside or don't do it. My opinion is, who cares, as long as it's Iridium from the outside and looks dope.

Your an inspiration and love the fact you push it. Keep it up!!!!! The paint bar just got a lot higher.

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

OK, So, apparently, I hadn't read to the last page.

I'm glad you guys are dealing with the spinner. It is something I was going to try also. I had thought the blur might work, but, maybe only in simple instances. Meaning, paint schemes that average a value between the 2 colors, like half and half or checkers. The screw idea has a rhythm beat to it. So it's understandable and unfortunate. :cry: well, I guess, for realism sake, all patterns would have a rhythm. ahk!! :mrgreen:

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Thank You Crazac... yeah thats one way of doing it. I have a few different ways I found for working on that. One of those is a small little program I designed to allow for multi spec pallets to be used actually. The fresnel's are a whole other world and have created a trick for those too. 8) :twisted:

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Well now, that's intriguing. :wink:

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

That is a very beautiful looking scheme Alan. :) You sure do get some great results playing with fresnels.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

pilottj wrote:That is a very beautiful looking scheme Alan. :) You sure do get some great results playing with fresnels.

Cheers
TJ

Thanks TJ but now it's been changed again only to reach a higher level. Still climbing the latter on this one. A real iridescence paint job can not be accomplished on fsx aircraft. We can get close to it by using spec layers to simulate it but technically fsx is not set up for that kind of effects. Even using fresnel layers only allow for half the effect but not the entire iridescent effect like on the cars I posted in this thread. I mean I haven't been able to crack it if there is a way because Ive covered just about everything, and every angle I could find and still no iridescent effect. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think so. If someone can figure it out then *my hats off to Them*!.

It's Ok though because there's many other options available that will look just as good.

8)

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

:shock: 8) Fire her up, man :D

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

:shock: That's KILLER!! ...!
This thread has so many bangin paint effects, it's truely amazing to go through.

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Thanks guys and gals!
Please see the posting "RACE #25 Unlimited" for the latest pics

Cheers!
:twisted:
~A~

new reply