P51D Maintenance Pictures and Info

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Slingers
A2A Master Mechanic

P51D Maintenance Pictures and Info

Post by Slingers »

G'Day

I hope everyone is well.

I am very fortunate in that I have been an engineer on Warbirds and Historic aircraft for the last 17 years or so. During this time I have worked on a number of P-51's and owned a P51D project which i was restoring for a while.

After a move from the UK to Australia I have set up an Warbird Maintenance and restoration shop outside Brisbane Queensland.

I have been very interested and flown A2A products since the early days and love the quality of the simulations produced. The accuracy of the aircraft is mind blowing.

I currently have a CAC (Australian licence built) P51D Mustang in for an Annual inspection. I thought it would take the opportunity to offer everyone a bit of an insight to maintaining these fantastic aircraft and allow you all to ask any questions you may have. Also if you wish any close up pictures I will be happy to post them for you if we still have the area exposed. I don't say I am an "expert" on P-51's but I will do my best to answer any questions.

As a start we carried out a few ground runs checking for leaks etc, prior to bring the aircraft in for the annual. These went well, and only found a couple of items we are going to look into. We have update cam's (roller) which with a slight timing change make it sound crackly at idle. I will post some videos later on in the thread if people are interested.

Now the aircraft is fully under its inspection with it stress jacked to enable the removal of the fuel tanks. What i mean is the centre jack takes all the weight, with the tail stand. The 2 wing jacks are only there to balance the wings. The fuel tank panels are stressed and you can't use the wing jacks to take the weight - as the wing may bend which is a bad thing :-)

The stud fuel tank is removed and the port side nearly ready to drop. This allows us access to carry out and inspection on the wing spar and areas normally not accessible.

Next week I will take some general overview pictures around the aircraft and try and explain what we look for around the aircraft and how some of the systems work. If you have been flying the A2A aircraft you will know most of the systems anyway.

Well have a great weekend and please let me know if you have any questions.

Dave

Last edited by Slingers on 11 Oct 2014, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://a2asimulations.com]
Visit my C-47 Restoration Page :- https://www.facebook.com/pacificdakotarestorations/
Visit my C-47 Restoration Website :- http://www.pacificdakotarestorations.com/

Slingers
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: P51D Maintenance Pictures and Info

Post by Slingers »

Sorry I am new to posting pictures and I am having issues getting them to display

Edit _ All resolved I hope.

Cheers

Dave
[url=http://a2asimulations.com]
Visit my C-47 Restoration Page :- https://www.facebook.com/pacificdakotarestorations/
Visit my C-47 Restoration Website :- http://www.pacificdakotarestorations.com/

Skyfox
Senior Airman

Post by Skyfox »

Awesome Stuff,

Is there anyway you and A2A can work out a deal to have these type of images for A2A P51 Maintenance walk around. I know the Cessna and Piper can do it, but I really want the same treatment for my fav P51 bird.

Just a suggestion,

Thanks

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Great pictures Dave. Like to see more, and hear about the work done.

maubrenta
Senior Airman

Post by maubrenta »

Nice pictures and nice work you have! Thanks for sharing.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

WOW :shock:

Great job and thanks for sharing with the community here! From my personal POV any and everything you share here on the forums is a great bonus and I look forward to seeing more! 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Curtis P40
Airman Basic

Post by Curtis P40 »

What a great idea. Thank You for taking the time to do this.

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

Thank you very much for sharing.

Regards,
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

gibo
Senior Airman

Post by gibo »

Great pics. Thankyou for sharing. I will have to search the repaints for that one.

By the way, is that Matt Hall's aircraft?

I have read Matt's book. Very excellent read.

Cheers,

gibo

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Nice perspective on the P-51. I would probably be useless though, as the constant drooling of being in a hanger with that beauty daily would interfere with the workload......... :D

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”