Should it be this difficult to fly and control ?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
jfri
Senior Airman

Re: Should it be this difficult to fly and control ?

Post by jfri »

robert41 wrote:
jfri wrote:
Lewis - A2A wrote:
Yes you can change this in MSFS, from linear to non, its up to you to which you prefer. Ill leave how to do this to those with more experience than me, as you can get really deep into it using FSUIPC etc.

thanks,
Lewis
Have tried different kind of calibration. But something really seems wrong with the throttle.
I don't see MP start to raise until the throttle is advanced to about 50%. Then after that it can increase from around 40 to 50 by just a slight nudge of the throttle. Is this really normal ?
This is not right.
Sounds like something more than a controller issue.
After installing the 51, did you run the updater?
Yes

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

taildraggin68 wrote:Not to throw too many pans in the fire here, but there is also a calibration on the shift-3 menu, if that somehow got goobered up, it could be causing the issues, but calibrations aside, the P-51 is a fly by fingers and toes kind of plane....feet and hands need to be lively, but gentle. Following the above mentioned setup for take off, the rudder inputs are going to be changing constantly to keep you aligned with the center line. This plane you really need to feel...get to know it.

Once you get the calibrations set, forget DCS training, take a read in Dudley's threads on the P-51 (if anyone can talk you through take off and landings, Dudley can :D ) and then I would suggest Edwards AFB or such with a very long and wide runway, and practice......may or may not be quick, but once you get the feel, you will be on your way to some fun :D
Do you mean the throttle gate ? I tried changing position which made the throttle move in the VC also tried changing deadzone. Still the same incorrect behavior of the throttle remains.

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

Lewis - A2A wrote:As well as making sure you run the latest updater are your FSX settings also set according to the simulation manual?

thanks,
Lewis
Yes and Yes. Also might add that this incorrect throttle (engine) behavior is the same if I use the F keys instead of my Throttle quadrant lever. I also see the same problem in P3D 2.4 and FSX-SE.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

All fluids correct as is the maint hanger?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

Lewis - A2A wrote:All fluids correct as is the maint hanger?

thanks,
Lewis
Yes plane in perfect shape. Also tried disabling the throttle quadrant axis and controlling throttle only with F keys (FSX-SE) same thing.
I have these latest observation
Throttle at 50%
12 MP (third scale line)
1800 rpm
Increase throttle to 64%
30 MP
2800 rpm
Then pressing F2 key throttle decrease to 59%
25 MP
2100 rpm
Then I need to press F3 five times to get back to 64% throttle

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

Gypsy Baron wrote:
jfri wrote:-SNIP-

Have tried different kind of calibration. But something really seems wrong with the throttle.
I don't see MP start to raise until the throttle is advanced to about 50%. Then after that it can increase from around 40 to 50 by just a slight nudge of the throttle. Is this really normal ?
No, that is not normal. Something is wrong with your throttle calibration or sensitivity.

When I start my 51's I have the throttle at 10% to 12% and then slowly increase the throttle to achieve 1000 rpm once the engine is running smoothly.

For takeoff, I set rudder trim to 6 deg right and add some aileron trim and nose down trim (I always have some fuel in the fuselage tank). When ruady to go, I line up on the runway, set the brakes or parking brake and advance the throttle to achieve 40" MP. I then release the brakes and tell myself to ignore that initial turn to the right and get ready to add right rudder as I slowly advance the throttle to takeoff power.

All the throttle movements and power changes are smooth on my setup. That 50% setting before the MP begins to rise is definitely not right and I have seen others mention this behavior in other threads and aircraft. After doing a proper calibration the issue disappeared for them.

Paul

Is it really not ? I had a look at the P51 familiarization video and another you tube video of a A2A P51 take off and in these I see the same thing as I do myself. The throttle at about 50% at the 'RPM' text and first at that point MP start to rise. But still I don't feel that the power changes are smooth after that. And this is markedly different from the DCS P51.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Jfri,

To keep clear and accurate, it's best you not reference anything from other simulators and keep the conversation between the Accu-Sim and real Mustang.

Just to be sure, remove your DAT file, located in Documents / A2A / FSX / P-51 directory

Remove your fuselage fuel tank

On takeoff, sloooowly advance the throttle to 30"' (let it start to roll) then 40"' (continue accelerating), as the plane starts to pick up speed, raise the tail, and once stabilized, slowly advance to full takeoff power. Let your speed build and very lightly pull back on the elevator to lift off.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Also grab the update released yesterday for the latest update.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Also grab the update released yesterday for the latest update.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have done that but the engine seem to work as before.

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

Scott - A2A wrote:Jfri,

To keep clear and accurate, it's best you not reference anything from other simulators and keep the conversation between the Accu-Sim and real Mustang.

Just to be sure, remove your DAT file, located in Documents / A2A / FSX / P-51 directory

Remove your fuselage fuel tank

On takeoff, sloooowly advance the throttle to 30"' (let it start to roll) then 40"' (continue accelerating), as the plane starts to pick up speed, raise the tail, and once stabilized, slowly advance to full takeoff power. Let your speed build and very lightly pull back on the elevator to lift off.

Scott.
I tried your suggestions and did takeoff. But I'm still confused. When I advance the throttle to 30" it has to be advanced some 60%. Is this normal ? I was told earlier in the thread that it was not. But when I watched the P51 familiarization video (+ another A2A P51 you tube take off video) I see there that during takeoff the throttle is indeed advanced more than 50% for 30" mp. So my installation does not seem faulty after all. My question then is if this behavior is like the real Mustang ?

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

I believe what you are seeing is correct. I'm sure Dudley can attest to the accuracy of the throttle in this model. Here as opposed to other simulations, you have the entire system modeled from the throttle lever forward to the propeller. Most others are rather quick on the throttle and not representative of the real aircraft. Just remember when you throw that throttle forward, there are a lot of things going on in an A2A simulation and the Merlin has a whole lot of cylinders to get motivated :D

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

jfri wrote:I tried your suggestions and did takeoff. But I'm still confused. When I advance the throttle to 30" it has to be advanced some 60%. Is this normal ? I was told earlier in the thread that it was not. But when I watched the P51 familiarization video (+ another A2A P51 you tube take off video) I see there that during takeoff the throttle is indeed advanced more than 50% for 30" mp. So my installation does not seem faulty after all. My question then is if this behavior is like the real Mustang ?
Yes, this was my point to keep this conversation on the real Mustang, because yes, we measured the throttle positions in flight, in Moonbeam McSwine (P-51D), and our aircraft simulates the same power with throttle position.

Also, remember, 30" is full power for a normally aspirated engine.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

rcoultas
Airman First Class

Post by rcoultas »

I have found that Slow, Smooth, and Deliberate works best for me when making any power changes in this beautiful beast!
Cheers,
Randall

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

rcoultas wrote:I have found that Slow, Smooth, and Deliberate works best for me when making any power changes in this beautiful beast!
A take off in a powerful prop fighter type airplane requires a much more controlled technique than say a takeoff in a light GA airplane.
Basically speaking, for the P51 Mustang and airplanes like the P51 you can forget the theory that places prime concern on getting the power in early so as not to use a lot of runway. In a prop fighter you should already know you have enough room for proper power control or you should taxi back and park the airplane :-)
After learning proper technique using a manifold step up process for adding your power you should be able to do it by the feel and sound of the airplane.
Your main concern in these airplanes is keeping it on the runway so in this respect the throttle is used as you have correctly stated, in a smooth and slow manner.
I fly the A2A Mustang the same way I have flown the real Mustang in every respect, especially on take off.
I don't usually even look at the MP gauge until I'm well into the run. My main concentration is on lateral control and smooth application of power. Initially I begin with the stick just enough aft of neutral to lock the tail wheel. NOTE I said slightly aft, NOT all the way back! This is very important as it "allows" the tail to come up naturally as increasing airspeed raises it (the key word here being NATURALLY). This avoids any sudden lifting of the tail causing left yaw. Next as speed increases I carefully find the sweet spot of right aileron that counteracts any torque and allow that to play against the tendency of the airplane to compress the left main gear strut due to torque forces.
Notice we haven't been talking power here. The reason is that all this has been done while smoothly advancing power on up as the tail comes up.
NOW.....with the tail up and a fair amount of power on board, while controlling yaw I can peripherally check the MP gauge and FINE TUNE my power to takeoff power, which using 100LL should be no more than 55 inches at 3000RPM.
If all this has been done correctly, you should just about be at rotation speed as you reach your full takeoff 55 inches.
So what I'm saying here is that a take off in a Mustang isn't a long full power takeoff run but rather a smooth continuous application of power while controlling directional factors up to takeoff power reaching that point right around rotation.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”