Should it be this difficult to fly and control ?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
jfri
Senior Airman

Should it be this difficult to fly and control ?

Post by jfri »

I have just purchased the Civil P51. I have experienced the P51 Mustang before in the DCS simulator so I tried using what I learn there. My impression is that the Civ P51 feels more difficult to fly and overly oversensitive.
For example when moving the throttle forward (CH Throttle quadrant) power first increasing very slowly then increase very fast as the throttle lever approaches max.
When start rolling it first can turn to the right. This does not make sense to me.
When trying to use rudder to counteract left turn on take off it feels very oversensitive and jerky in a way.
I also have the A2A Spitfire also that a high performance plane and that feels much smoother and easier to control. The Civ P51 must be the must difficult plane to fly that I have ever encountered in FSX or FS9.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Should it be this difficult to fly and control ?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

have a look through a few of the threads by real mustang pilots to help you out. Heres an example from Dudley Henriques;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 93&t=32663

Also worth bearing in mind your controller settings for the simulation can have a great influence on your perception of flight models. Some prefer FSX some like everything through FSUIPC, linear, non-linear etc etc.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Yup she's a beast if you are not gentle and prepared to handle her. Take your time.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Might want to adjust your controller sensitivities to be a bit less sensitive.
The initial pull to the right is a fsx issue. I find it better to first hold brakes, throttle up to about 25-30MP, then release brakes and slowly increase throttle giving right rudder as needed when taking off. Holding back on the stick limits tail wheel castor (be sure to release the stick before getting too fast) .

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello,

have a look through a few of the threads by real mustang pilots to help you out. Heres an example from Dudley Henriques;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 93&t=32663

Also worth bearing in mind your controller settings for the simulation can have a great influence on your perception of flight models. Some prefer FSX some like everything through FSUIPC, linear, non-linear etc etc.

thanks,
Lewis
I had read that thread by Dudley before posting this. Still have problem flying it. One reason I think is that throttle behaves in such non linear way. Second very difficult to apply the correct amount of rudder. If I need more because the plane turn to much at the left then I often find myself turning to much to the right and then the opposite. Same thing immediately after takeoff.
Do you meant that this is as real that for example the Spitfire is much more smoother and the P51 being significantly more difficult to control ?
My controller are as default and calibrated with CH control manager. Is it recommended to change that ?

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

robert41 wrote: The initial pull to the right is a fsx issue. I find it better to first hold brakes, throttle up to about 25-30MP, then release brakes and slowly increase throttle giving right rudder as needed when taking off. Holding back on the stick limits tail wheel castor (be sure to release the stick before getting too fast) .
I will try that. This is btw the procedure learnt in DCS and the speed in question is when approaching 100 kt. The same speed in Civ P51 ?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

jfri wrote: My controller are as default and calibrated with CH control manager. Is it recommended to change that ?
Yes you can change this in MSFS, from linear to non, its up to you to which you prefer. Ill leave how to do this to those with more experience than me, as you can get really deep into it using FSUIPC etc.

thanks,
Lewis

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

jfri wrote:
robert41 wrote: The initial pull to the right is a fsx issue. I find it better to first hold brakes, throttle up to about 25-30MP, then release brakes and slowly increase throttle giving right rudder as needed when taking off. Holding back on the stick limits tail wheel castor (be sure to release the stick before getting too fast) .
I will try that. This is btw the procedure learnt in DCS and the speed in question is when approaching 100 kt. The same speed in Civ P51 ?

I would release the stick by about 50IAS on take off.

For the Civ model, I load up both wing tanks full. No aft fuel.
Set rudder trim 6 right. Should be set after loading aircraft.
Elevator trim neutral.
Throttle up to 20MP, release brakes, ease throttle up to 46MP, controlling left pull with rudder.
Tail comes up near 100IAS, pull back stick (a little), take off. Gear up.
Control any wing drop with ailerons. Set RPMs to 2700 for climbing. 46MP.
I like to climb from 170 to 220IAS. Adjusting rudder, elevator trim as needed.

With fuel in aft tank, this changes things greatly. Needing some nose down trim for take off, climb, and more IAS.

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

Lewis - A2A wrote:
jfri wrote: My controller are as default and calibrated with CH control manager. Is it recommended to change that ?
Yes you can change this in MSFS, from linear to non, its up to you to which you prefer. Ill leave how to do this to those with more experience than me, as you can get really deep into it using FSUIPC etc.

thanks,
Lewis
Have tried different kind of calibration. But something really seems wrong with the throttle.
I don't see MP start to raise until the throttle is advanced to about 50%. Then after that it can increase from around 40 to 50 by just a slight nudge of the throttle. Is this really normal ?

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

jfri wrote:-SNIP-

Have tried different kind of calibration. But something really seems wrong with the throttle.
I don't see MP start to raise until the throttle is advanced to about 50%. Then after that it can increase from around 40 to 50 by just a slight nudge of the throttle. Is this really normal ?
No, that is not normal. Something is wrong with your throttle calibration or sensitivity.

When I start my 51's I have the throttle at 10% to 12% and then slowly increase the throttle to achieve 1000 rpm once the engine is running smoothly.

For takeoff, I set rudder trim to 6 deg right and add some aileron trim and nose down trim (I always have some fuel in the fuselage tank). When ruady to go, I line up on the runway, set the brakes or parking brake and advance the throttle to achieve 40" MP. I then release the brakes and tell myself to ignore that initial turn to the right and get ready to add right rudder as I slowly advance the throttle to takeoff power.

All the throttle movements and power changes are smooth on my setup. That 50% setting before the MP begins to rise is definitely not right and I have seen others mention this behavior in other threads and aircraft. After doing a proper calibration the issue disappeared for them.

Paul

jfri
Senior Airman

Post by jfri »

Gypsy Baron wrote:
jfri wrote:-SNIP-

No, that is not normal. Something is wrong with your throttle calibration or sensitivity.

All the throttle movements and power changes are smooth on my setup. That 50% setting before the MP begins to rise is definitely not right and I have seen others mention this behavior in other threads and aircraft. After doing a proper calibration the issue disappeared for them.

Paul

This does not make sense to me. When my throttle lever on the CH quadrant is set to about 50% then the throttle in the VC is also around 50%. I would not expect that in case of incorrect calibration. I have noticed that if I try to calibrate inside FSX Throttle 1 and 2 are considered as x and y axis in 2D figure with idle at the middle. That didn't work at all. Idle on my quadrant got 50% in the cockpit. This I solved by calibrating in FSUIPC. Then idle and full corresponds to each other in qudrant and VC. Still the problem remain.And why only in the P51 ?

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

jfri wrote:
Lewis - A2A wrote:

thanks,
Lewis
This is not right.
Sounds like something more than a controller issue.
After installing the 51, did you run the updater?

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Not to throw too many pans in the fire here, but there is also a calibration on the shift-3 menu, if that somehow got goobered up, it could be causing the issues, but calibrations aside, the P-51 is a fly by fingers and toes kind of plane....feet and hands need to be lively, but gentle. Following the above mentioned setup for take off, the rudder inputs are going to be changing constantly to keep you aligned with the center line. This plane you really need to feel...get to know it.

Once you get the calibrations set, forget DCS training, take a read in Dudley's threads on the P-51 (if anyone can talk you through take off and landings, Dudley can :D ) and then I would suggest Edwards AFB or such with a very long and wide runway, and practice......may or may not be quick, but once you get the feel, you will be on your way to some fun :D

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

For what it's worth, when I got my controllers set up to taste, I found that the feel in both DCS and FSX (A2A) Mustangs to be reasonably similar for most circumstances - as it should be of course!

-Esa

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

As well as making sure you run the latest updater are your FSX settings also set according to the simulation manual?

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”