Calling CDFI

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
NAA551WB
Senior Airman

Calling CDFI

Post by NAA551WB »

Just an idea for ya if you want to take on a restored Mustang wearing her original colors!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in4XNrXuYto

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Calling CDFI

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Wow thats amazing. Its now in my Youtube history for viewing over a few sessions due to its length. Great job to the video maker for sticking with it and editing that all together. Cracking!

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

NAA551WB
Senior Airman

Post by NAA551WB »

I seriously have a much deeper appreciation for the folks that restore any warbird. Absolutely incredible the attention to detail that is being put out these days!!

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

You can view my post about that restoration here too (and note the other video links): http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 23&t=42366

In that 2hr documentary, note that some of the footage is from within the Redtail P-51C cockpit, when it was in for its annual back in 2013/2014, and doesn't reflect the Sierra Sue restoration, which is purely authentic/period correct in every detail.

A major grouping of photos taken before, throughout, and after its restoration can be viewed here: http://www.projects.aircorpsaviation.com/sierra-sue-ii/

Note that since the time many of these photos/video were taken, the aircraft is now complete with a P-38 rear-view mirror and N-9 gunsight, just as per original. The same company, Aircorps Aviation, is building/restoring a P-51C to the same standard - with these aircraft, a level of wartime authenticity/accuracy never before achieved in a warbird restoration.
John Terrell

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Here are some more photos I thought worth posting here:

These first photos show the detail of the cockpit, which, like everything else throughout the restoration, is 100% stock original, as per the early P-51D-20-NA production block that it was manufactured as. However, when these photos were taken, the cockpit still had yet to be completed to the state that it is in now (note, for instance, the missing IFF detonator switches, which had yet to be added at the time these photos were taken (late summer 2014)). When these photos were taken, they were experimenting with how to best mount the two modern avionics heads and GPS into a temporary mount that could be bolted onto the gunsight mount - a way in which nothing would need to be changed/modified from the original cockpit. They further perfected this from what you see here, to having the modern avionics heads positioned on the left and right sides of the gunsight mount, and they can be easily removed/installed depending on whether the aircraft is being flown or displayed. As mentioned already, the aircraft also now has the correct N-9 gunsight installed, as per original factory specifications for the early D-20-NA (and all earlier production P-51D's). Note that the throttle lever is the earlier standard ball-tip type, which was changed out on later production D-models (and in the field) for the bicycle-style grip when the K-14 was installed. Also note the rare signal light mounting bracket below the main switch panel on the right-hand side of the cockpit (this was later positioned to the left floor board on the late D-models).

This is the early style (correct for this aircraft) center electrical and payload panels.

Note the streaks in the yellow zinc chromate primer finish, due to the part being dipped in primer rather than sprayed, as per the original factory process. The interior green paint of the cockpit was of course a sprayed-on application. This gun circuit protector panel was repositioned on later model P-51D's (turning it 90-degrees and positioning it below the oxygen regulator).

The cockpit markings are an authentic mixture of transfers, stamps, and stencils.

The aircraft is complete with the fuselage fuel tank, period radios, and period battery-mounting location (battery and radios were not yet installed in these photos).

John Terrell

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Here are some external details:

John Terrell

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Regarding the nose art - the original artwork was based on a photograph (seen below) of a girl that Sierra Sue's original pilot, Bob Bohna, had a crush on back home, but was too shy to ever actually speak to. The marking on the fence in the artwork was the symbol for the Bohna family ranch.

John Terrell

rcoultas
Airman First Class

Post by rcoultas »

This "stuff" fascinates me! I thoroughly enjoyed the video of the restoration. Thanks for the information and the pictures. After looking at all of this, I just had to take my P-51 up for a flight. I feel like I own my own P-51 thanks to A2A. I guess an ol' guy can still dream huh?
Cheers,
Randall

NAA551WB
Senior Airman

Post by NAA551WB »

Excellent stuff!!!!!!! :D

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Amazing
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Incredible stuff! History at its finest!

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”