Three Beautiful Mustangs

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Three Beautiful Mustangs

Post by cflord »

Here is a pic of three (Janie, Maninell, & Big Beautiful Doll) of the best looking P51s still flying:

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic 8)

matt_smith
Senior Airman

Re: Three Beautiful Mustangs

Post by matt_smith »

That is nice a photo.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yup that sure is a beautiful image, I wonder where it was taken.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

shipdriver
Airman First Class

Post by shipdriver »

Every time I see 'Big Beautiful Doll' I think of the video of it colliding with the Skyraider and the pilot's chute miraculously opening at about 500 ft.

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Yeah, unfortunately that "Big Beautiful Doll" was the one that was a write-off in the incident at Duxford back in 2011 - though with the way rebuilds go today, it is almost a certainty that she'll be flying again in the future (new airframe built using the original identity). Of course there has still been another "Big Beautiful Doll" flying here in the U.S. as well since the mid 90's, which unfortunately had to make a belly-landing last year - it should be flying again by the end of this year, unless more work is planned beyond just the repairs.

"Janie" and "Marinell" are of course the two Mustangs owned by Maurice Hammond, as part of his "Hardwick Warbirds". The restored "Marinell" is often cited as being the original wartime aircraft, now restored and flying. However, the "Marinell" airframe is all new-build, and is actually a clone of "Janie" (when you delve into the details, you can tell that they built it up to be identical to "Janie"). The original "Marinell" was an Inglewood-produced P-51D-5-NA, the very first D-model variant, built in early 1944. The airframe that is painted as "Janie" was one of the very last P-51D's ever built, a P-51D-30-NT, built in late 1945 at the Dallas plant, that served with the RNZAF. There are literally several hundred differences between the P-51D-5-NA and the P-51D-30-NT. The restored "Marinell" airframe shares everything in common with the P-51D-30-NT "Janie" (including some details that only that variant had), and doesn't have any of the D-5-NA details/traits. I only mention this as I think it is interesting in its own way.
John Terrell

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Almost looks like rex soft clouds
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”