How do you fly your Mustangs?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: How do you fly your Mustangs?

Post by Paughco »

EnDSchultz wrote:I just kind of started in California sometime last year and started heading east, picking up each time where I landed last. Right now, my Mustang is parked in Hanoi, Vietnam.
Say HI to Jane! :wink:

Seeya
ATB

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

I have been flying the mil. versions all over the globe, randomly if you will. But now I find myself flying the civ. Mustang "February" in and out of Orbx's KPSP and KSEZ sceneries. Simply breathtaking views!

norfolkmike
Senior Airman

Post by norfolkmike »

I only have the military variant, but I have it in 3 guises.

Moonbeam McSwine, based at my own rendition of a WW2 Bodney. I have ai B:17 formations, Lancasters, ME109s, Spitfires and P:47s buzzing in and out of my other WW2 airfields or flying over the continent as appropriate, with Gypsy Baron's flak barrages to add a little excitement. When I have time, I like to fly out of Bodney, to Holland in order to rendezvous with the ai B:17 formations before heading back to Bodney, hoping to pick off the odd ME109 whilst I'm at it (happens only infrequently, but it does happen!).

Ferocious Frankie, based (as with its real world counterpart) at ACGs Duxford. Great for those not so lengthy sessions, doing a few rolls and loops before pulling out the beers. For lengthier jaunts, I've remodelled the NL2000 Oostwold scenery using OrbX hangars and statics, so that now makes for a great air show venue in itself.

Dolly, based at Palm Springs (until I've found or made a suitable Chino). Palm Springs is THE A2A friendly airport surely? I think everything currently on offer by A2A bar the Stratocruiser is either based at the Palm Springs air museum or can be seen sitting on the GA apron! And I think the next two retro projects might be appropriate for that too, unless the suggestions of a Texan and T-33 are mere speculation at this point? I noticed that the jacqueline Cochran airport is just beyond the extended Palm Springs photo real, so in order to have it as a viable air show destination, I had to change the airport background land class to 'semi desert', remodel the aprons, add OrbX hangars and statics, and now it blends all together brilliantly. I think I'll be doing a lot of air show hops from Palm Springs to KTRM in the A2A birds, and when I've got Chino in the mix, I'll just petition to have that part of Southern California renamed Accusim valley.

I'm thinking of making a 'Maurice Hammond's' private strip for the Janie and Marinell liveries, but I'm getting some strange bucking bronco issues on short field landings with my Stang at the moment. I know flying THAT slow is beyond the normal operational envelope, but I'd rather it just fell out of the sky than propel me through the windscreen on approach in such an undignified manner! :mrgreen: Reminds me of a 'points' issue I once had in a 1984 Nissan, where the car would suddenly die, then lurch forwards before cutting out again, in 2 second cycles! Not a good look, especially when in proximity to females :oops: :lol:

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”