Rudder authority at taxi speeds / power settings...

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
jcomm
Senior Airman

Rudder authority at taxi speeds / power settings...

Post by jcomm »

One aspect of the modeling of the propwash that I find more plausibly modeled in A2A's P51d compared to the DCS model is rudder authority during taxi.

On some moview I can watch of P51ds taxxing, I do see the pilots using the rudder even for tighter turns.

Assuming an empty fuel tank, when we push the stick forward to unlock the tail wheel, making it castoring, is rudder efficient enough to help us "steering" the aircraft while taxiing, or will the tail run away, requiring use of differential toe brakes ?

With the stick pulled back I know the tail wheel is not free, and the rudder deflection will command up to 6º either side deflection, if I recall...

In A2A's P51d Civil, provided I do it with care, I can push the stick to unlock the tailwheel and then, with slight rudder I can steer the aircraft for taxi, being carefull to avoid the tail wanting to move ahead :-), but it works, pretty much like I can see in some footage of RW p51ds
Use your flight simulators with a well defined purpose...

Don't expect them to be "perfect" or to fully cover all aspects of simulated flight...

Try to enjoy it instead of stressing... ( in few words - don't be like me ... )

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Rudder authority at taxi speeds / power settings...

Post by n421nj »

I'd say that it can't hurt to use it. Even if the effects are minor it's still better than nothing and prob good muscle memory.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”