Had my first emergency!

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
PonyDriver
Airman First Class

Had my first emergency!

Post by PonyDriver »

Last night I was comming in for a landing in my MIL. I had flaps down, slowed to about 140. I put the gear down, but the red light stayed on, and the "wind" sounded different. Perplexed, I checked the outside view. Only the right gear was down! I went around and tried to diagnos the problem. Gear would cycle up and down, but only the right one came down. The left gear door did not even open.

Oh well, looks like I need to re-mortgage the house to fix it!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Had my first emergency!

Post by Scott - A2A »

Hydraulic failure?
A2A Simulations Inc.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I guess you didn't pull the hydraulic release handle and rock it to lock it? Did you at least make a safe belly landing?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

PonyDriver
Airman First Class

Post by PonyDriver »

Yeah, thing is, I actually did pull the emegency handle for the hydrolics, but the left door still didn't budge. Maybe I just didn't do it right, who knows.

Yes, I landed it in the grass next to the runway. I thaught it was an OK landing, but FSX still "crashed" me. Oh well!

Are such failures written into the A2A software, or was that the realism from FSX?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

All the failures are part of Accu-Sim. They are many possibilities, but each are pretty rare as in real life, but as you can see, they do happen.

It sounds like the "up locks" were still locked. If you lower your landing gear handle, this releases those up locks, then pulling the emergency gear lever purges the pressure in the hydraulic system, causing the gear to fall. Then rocking the wings, swings the sideways deployed main gear into place, locked down.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

Cool to read about your experiences! I myself haven't had this kind of failures yet... but that may be a matter of time. As for the 'fsx crash detection', many people (myself included) like to have it switched off. I did have it on for a while once I was able to do landings at least somewhat properly, but then there's certain issues with this which make it 'realism unfriendly'. Doing a belly landing is ALWAYS considered as a crash according to FSX (as far as I am aware) and so it force stops the simulator.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I had a similar failure on my Mustang. My left main gear wouldn't retract (thank god not the other way around :shock: ) so I had to go back to the field. This was after my mechanic had warned me about the gear wearing out and he was advising me to go easy on the landings which is easier said then done with this bird :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”