Real Mustang Question: The Seat!

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
PonyDriver
Airman First Class

Real Mustang Question: The Seat!

Post by PonyDriver »

Ok, so I was VERY fortunate to be able to get up close to the mustang "Never Miss" at the airshow over the weekend. The pilot, who was very nice and great guy to talk to, let me climb up into the cockpit ( :P )

Now, as a private pilot, It has always been a "dream" to fly a Mustang ( not really feasable, as i could never afford it!). I can at least say I sat in one. But my "dream" was shattered when I sat in the seat. I am a tall guy, 6 ft 2, and not exactly "slim". It was very tight. My head was above the canopy!

Here's my question. I did not even think of it at the time...is the pilot's seat adjustable? Could I have slid it back like I have to in the Cessna 172 I fly? If I was further back in the seat, I am sure I could have crouched down.

The pilot told me not to let my dream die, as I could certainly fit in the back seat, and the Mustang did have dual controls :o

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Real Mustang Question: The Seat!

Post by DHenriques_ »

PonyDriver wrote:Ok, so I was VERY fortunate to be able to get up close to the mustang "Never Miss" at the airshow over the weekend. The pilot, who was very nice and great guy to talk to, let me climb up into the cockpit ( :P )

Now, as a private pilot, It has always been a "dream" to fly a Mustang ( not really feasable, as i could never afford it!). I can at least say I sat in one. But my "dream" was shattered when I sat in the seat. I am a tall guy, 6 ft 2, and not exactly "slim". It was very tight. My head was above the canopy!

Here's my question. I did not even think of it at the time...is the pilot's seat adjustable? Could I have slid it back like I have to in the Cessna 172 I fly? If I was further back in the seat, I am sure I could have crouched down.

The pilot told me not to let my dream die, as I could certainly fit in the back seat, and the Mustang did have dual controls :o
Yes, the seat is adjustable vertically. The pedals are adjustable back and forth.
The seat has a handle on the lower right side that can be adjusted into several holes 7 or 9 as I recall.
Dudley Henriques

PonyDriver
Airman First Class

Post by PonyDriver »

Ah, Ha! That makes sense, as the pilot was MUCH shorter than me. He could have had that seat WAY up.

Leg room was not bad, but now that you say you could move the pedals, that would have worked too!

Thanks!

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

The Mustang has one of the more comfortable cockpits. If you are unhappy with the P-51, never try the Spitfire :-)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I think the Spitfire isnt too bad at all, comparable to the mustang. For the smaller cockpits ur looking at 109's etc and for the bigger ones the P-47 and the famous Corsair known for its large pit and the classic ash tray feature hehe 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Lewis - A2A wrote:... and the famous Corsair known for its large pit and the classic ash tray feature hehe 8)
Was that stock or an extra :D :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The thinking was to allow the pilot to smoke on the long trips over endless open water, novel isnt it and very much of its time! I dont know if it was ever really used though hehe :)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hehe that's funny. It reminds me of the Socata MS893A Rallye I used to fly with my dad when I was a kid. The plane was build in 1972 so naturally it had an ashtray but right next to it was a "No smoking" sign :D

Great plane btw. used for glider towing and flying passengers in the flying club. Due to its aerodynamically actuated slats it has amazing STOL capabilities.

Sorry for going of topic here :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

Lewis - A2A wrote:I think the Spitfire isnt too bad at all, comparable to the mustang.
Don´t know if there are any differences between the Spitfire versions, but the Mk.V and Mk.XVIe i ve checked are much smaller then the P-51. At least if you would like to close the canopy and use the ailerons :D

NAA551WB
Senior Airman

Post by NAA551WB »

I'm not claustrophobic but sitting in a 109 with the canopy closed certainly would make me. Now that I think of it there is no way I could probably get in a ball turret either!!

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”