Mustang whistle

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
awash2002
A2A ACE

Mustang whistle

Post by awash2002 »

What power setting can I use to get that famous mustang whistle 30/18 or 43/25?

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Mustang whistle

Post by robert41 »

Use 60MP and 3000RPMs, this should do the trick.

PonyDriver
Airman First Class

Post by PonyDriver »

I was told by a Mustang pilot that "G" forces have something to do with it too...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

awash2002 wrote:What power setting can I use to get that famous mustang whistle 30/18 or 43/25?
It's the general opinion of the Mustang community including me that the sound is not in any way connected to the engine but rather caused by aerodynamic flow under specific circumstances and a function of airspeed and g as opposed to anything mechanical.
I have witnessed the sound in various piston driven fighters from different countries during my career and it is by no means restricted to the Mustang exclusively.
My own aircraft has been witnessed from the ground while under g with the sound which of course I couldn't hear while flying the airplane. It is unclear whether specific atmospheric conditions are a player. It has always been my opinion that this might very well be the case as my own aircraft has exhibited the sound on one day and not the next while in display.
I should add that the exact source of the sound although argued to infinity to my knowledge has never been determined and pinned down. I would as well add that literally every airshow fan on the planet knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody's uncle who knows some famous Mustang pilot who says the sound is this or that.
FWIW, I know many of the pilots in the Mustang community and even WE are not absolutely sure :-)))
And so the argument goes on..................... :-)))))))))
Dudley Henriques

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

At last year's EAA, during one airshow, the half dozen or so 51s that were doing their flybys, only one had that whistle. Very audible when the aircraft was in straight, level flight.

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Going back to the viewpoint that the loudest whistle/whine comes from the guns - the examples that always produce the loudest whistle/whine are those that have the full guns in-place, as well as the shell ejector chute openings on the bottom of the wings. Examples with less complete guns (i.e., many flying today simply have replica barrels bolted on that don't go back any farther than the wing spar), boxed-up replica guns, closed-up shell ejector chutes, etc... don't have the same level of whistle/whine.

It is not something that comes around at certain power settings, nor is it simply from speed or g-loading alone - it is much about angle of attack. I was just watching some very authentically restored Mustangs operating up-close in person over the weekend, and one can clearly hear the whistle/whine when they flare into a three-point landing, but also, when wheel-landing, you can hear the whistle/whine form as the tail comes down - all as the air transitions more over the barrels rather than through - not the same volume of course as to when pulling up into 3-4 g's, going 300-400 mph (which becomes a scream at those speeds). The level of whistle/whine from a Mustang flying straight and level can all depend too on how the guns are angled/aligned in relation to the thrust-line of the aircraft.
John Terrell

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Bomber_12th wrote:Going back to the viewpoint that the loudest whistle/whine comes from the guns - the examples that always produce the loudest whistle/whine are those that have the full guns in-place, as well as the shell ejector chute openings on the bottom of the wings. Examples with less complete guns (i.e., many flying today simply have replica barrels bolted on that don't go back any farther than the wing spar), far less complete/boxed-up replica guns, closed-up shell ejector chutes, etc... don't have the same level of whistle/whine.

It is not something that comes around at certain power settings, nor is it simply from speed or g-loading alone - it is much about angle of attack. I was just watching some very authentically restored Mustangs operating up-close in person over the weekend, and one can clearly hear the whistle/whine when they flare into a three-point landing, but also, when wheel-landing, you can hear the whistle/whine form as the tail comes down - all as the air transitions more over the barrels rather than through - not the same volume of course as to when pulling up into 3-4 g's, going 300-400 mph (which becomes a scream at those speeds). The level of whistle/whine from a Mustang flying straight and level can all depend too on how the guns are angled/aligned in relation to the thrust-line of the aircraft.
The sound has been recorded on various fighters, radials as well as in lines. Angle of attack of the relative wind on specific parts of radiators and open vents is considered a source. The gun ports might be a factor if the ports are exposed. However, the sound has been recorded on Mustangs with plugs in the ports.
DH

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

it's time to call in the Mythbusters... :mrgreen:
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

At this point, I don't want to definitively know. It'd be like knowing how the magician does his feats!
ImageImage
ImageImage

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

...feats don't fail me now... ;)

Sorry Cody, couldn't help myself.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
awash2002 wrote:I would as well add that literally every airshow fan on the planet knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody's uncle who knows some famous Mustang pilot who says the sound is this or that.
"I taped up the barrels and just went for a quick flight and guess what? ..............No whistle!! Not all Mustangs have the same whistle as some do it at high speed or in a dive, but this one whistles at high angle of attack which is why I suspected the inner gun barrels. The most noticeable was at around 4g pulls and on landing if you put all three on the ground at the same time. Just did both, and it was quiet. Before you could definitely hear it from the cockpit and that means it must really be loud from outside!" ~ Glenn Wegman, P-51 Pilot and Restorer

"Guys I think the barrels are the source. Yesterday I completely taped them and sure enough no whistle. So there we have it." ~ Jim Beasley, P-51 Pilot/Owner

"It's the gun ports. Years ago before the Late Dick James had the gunbays finished out in his airplane "Donna-Mite" it was quiet during maneuvers. After the gunbays were finished with replica guns, it made the whistling sound you speak of. Dick and I spoke at length about it. Our conclusion was, nothing else had changed on the exterior of the airplane but the addition of the guns in the ports so it has to be the air across the gun barrels." ~ John Beyl, CAF P-51C Crew Chief

"The C model has the same scoop as a D and doesn't make the howl...I think its the gun ports." ~ Jim Harley, Collings Foundation TP-51C Pilot
John Terrell

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Bomber_12th wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:
awash2002 wrote:I would as well add that literally every airshow fan on the planet knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody's uncle who knows some famous Mustang pilot who says the sound is this or that.
"I taped up the barrels and just went for a quick flight and guess what? ..............No whistle!! Not all Mustangs have the same whistle as some do it at high speed or in a dive, but this one whistles at high angle of attack which is why I suspected the inner gun barrels. The most noticeable was at around 4g pulls and on landing if you put all three on the ground at the same time. Just did both, and it was quiet. Before you could definitely hear it from the cockpit and that means it must really be loud from outside!" ~ Glenn Wegman, P-51 Pilot and Restorer

"Guys I think the barrels are the source. Yesterday I completely taped them and sure enough no whistle. So there we have it." ~ Jim Beasley, P-51 Pilot/Owner

"It's the gun ports. Years ago before the Late Dick James had the gunbays finished out in his airplane "Donna-Mite" it was quiet during maneuvers. After the gunbays were finished with replica guns, it made the whistling sound you speak of. Dick and I spoke at length about it. Our conclusion was, nothing else had changed on the exterior of the airplane but the addition of the guns in the ports so it has to be the air across the gun barrels." ~ John Beyl, CAF P-51C Crew Chief

"The C model has the same scoop as a D and doesn't make the howl...I think its the gun ports." ~ Jim Harley, Collings Foundation TP-51C Pilot
The ports are indeed a popular belief.
DH

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”