P-51 Military Vs Civilian Flight characteristics

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: P-51 Military Vs Civilian Flight caracteristics

Post by CodyValkyrie »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
We didn't have the fuselage tank installed on our 51 so we simply took off on the left tank.
Reason both your dad and I did this was to accommodate the up to 10 gals of gas vapor the carb returned back to the tank. The normal setup for this vapor line was to the left tank so you used that tank for takeoff to make room for all that unused fuel coming back home to roost. If you didn't use the tank INITIALLY that your return line was attached to, you could vent up to 10 gals an hour over the side through the overflow line and that's a lot of lost fuel.
Dudley Henriques
Just wanted to point it that this is simulated in the A2A P-51D. Make sure you run that left tank first!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Re: P-51 Military Vs Civilian Flight characteristics

Post by Bomber_12th »

Related to that, this placard was never found in Mustang cockpits during WWII, but has been added to the cockpits of many Mustangs flying today so that pilots won't forget: http://pioneeraerosvc.com/product/101-1 ... s-placard/
John Terrell

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

Hi Bomber,

I had a feeling you'd come through with specific info on the fuselage tank. ;)

I didn't know all the C models had factory installed tanks - good info.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
We didn't have the fuselage tank installed on our 51 so we simply took off on the left tank.
Reason both your dad and I did this was to accommodate the up to 10 gals of gas vapor the carb returned back to the tank. The normal setup for this vapor line was to the left tank so you used that tank for takeoff to make room for all that unused fuel coming back home to roost. If you didn't use the tank INITIALLY that your return line was attached to, you could vent up to 10 gals an hour over the side through the overflow line and that's a lot of lost fuel.
The normal routine for the combat guys was to takeoff on the tank the vapor return was using (usually the left but some units retrofitted the line to the fuselage tank. After the climb you then used up the pylons if attached, then the fuselage tank, then you started playing with the mains.
The trick was NOT to arrive in the combat area with fuel in the externals and more than 25 gals in the fuselage tank.
I of course didn't have all these problems with just internals to deal with.
Hope this helps a bit.
Dudley Henriques
Hi Dudley,

Of course you are right about burning fuel first from the tank with the vapor return line. I never discussed this with dad because I was not aware of that vapor line - in fact I only learned of it when I began flying the A2A P -51D!

A big thumbs up for you, Scott and the team!

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”