New guy saying hello with a question or 2

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

I've been lurking for a little while but thought it was about time I said hello. So far I've bought the Comanche and the P-51 Civilian and I have to say I'm enjoying them immensely. I do have a couple of questions though about the P-51 so here we go.

Firstly, is the oil dilution only for use on the ground as I've noticed at times my oil pressure rising whilst in flight? Secondly, whilst landing, I realise I should be slightly nose high but is there a particular AoA I should be aiming for? Lastly, I'd like to add an after landing and shutdown procedures page to the pilot's notes (shift+2), is it possible to create another page for this on the notes?

Anyway, enough of boring you all with my questions. I'm loving my A2A aircraft and look forward to many more hours flying them. My thanks to A2A and the paint skinners for all your hard work and dedication.

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: New guy saying hello with a question or 2

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

Welcome to the forums Moggster...
Not sure about the Oil Dilution but I do and can probably speak for a lot of the painters on here by saying: Your welcome because we really enjoy painting and are glad others enjoy the paints.
Like BASF.. we don't make the product, we make the product a bit more *colorful* lol

Cheers!
~A~
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

Thank you for the warm welcome EightyFiftyFive. You know the P-51 is perfect for me as I'm an absolute sucker for polished aluminium and the more polished it is...the more I like it. Add some bluish heat staining behind the exhaust ports and I'm as happy as a pig in mud!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

Hi Moggster,

IIRC oil dilution should only be used on the ground. It is intended for use when cold temps are anticipated for the next flight so it is applied before shutdown. I use it most often right after starup to keep oil pressure under 150 psi. Not sure why you are seeing high pressure in flight. Do you fly by the numbers?

Our resident P-51 expert, Dudley Henriques, who has many hours in the real bird, recommends tail low wheel landings. Here is a thread with P-51 tips you may find useful:

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 93&t=32663

Hope this helps.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

That's what I thought Jim. I am flying the Mustang by the numbers using the RCAF Mustang 4 and in cockpit pilot notes. I tend to see the lower oil pressure at lower MP and RPMs. At higher settings, the oil pressure is within tolerance. Which kind of makes sense as the engine and oil will be cooler with the lower settings.
I guess if anyone knows how to fly a Mustang, it's going to be Dudley! I'm just worried about landing with the tail wheel 1st but I think if I make a mental note of how the Mustang sits on the ground, it should help with the landing AoA...as long as I don't exceed it.
Thanks for taking the time to help Jim, it's greatly appreciated.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

At higher altitudes and at high speeds with your engine setup for cruise you will see the oil pressure rise due to the lower temperatures. The oil will thicken. Be aware that the Merlin can be run with oil pressures that exceed the green arc.
ImageImage
ImageImage

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Only use oil dilute in the air if you are looking to see accusim in action.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

Thanks all, I'll stay away from the oil dilute switch whilst in flight. I've figured out the maximum angle I can land at without landing on the tail wheel first. I'd still like to know if I can create another page on the in game pilot notes. If anyone knows either way, get in touch.

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Post by dacamp66 »

something that was occasionally done in a "scramble" situation was to start the engine and immediately turn on oil dilute, so the pilots could take off immediately and meet the incoming hostiles, instead of having to wait to warm up. by the time they reached the runway, the engine was still on the cool side, but the oil was safely thin enough to take off without risking damage to the engine. however, this was ONLY done in a scramble, as there was still an increased risk of damage, just not as much as taking of with a dead cold engine and thick oil.
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

I have used the oil dilute many times to speed up the warm up in cooler weather. Another thing I have read about, was pilots using high blower to speed up the warm up.

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

Something I found out in the RCAF Mustang IV notes is that they tell pilots to advance the RPMs fully forward and MP to take off every 30 minutes during a flight to clear the magnetos. I find this helps with any high oil pressure.

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Moggster wrote:Something I found out in the RCAF Mustang IV notes is that they tell pilots to advance the RPMs fully forward and MP to take off every 30 minutes during a flight to clear the magnetos. I find this helps with any high oil pressure.
That item/form of operation came about earliest in May 1949, with the USAF issued Technical Order 01-60J-70, pertaining to the F-51 and F-82B series aircraft. All of the F-51's that were re-activated and went through any of the various overhaul/modification centers around this time (1949-1951), and any that were already in operation at the time, would have been brought-up to match all of the latest T.O.'s that had been issued up until that date, and pilot's manuals updated to match the latest operating procedures. The aircraft that the RCAF were using in the 1950's came out of the same overhaul/modification centers that the USAF was also using to bring Mustangs out of storage and back up to like-new standard, with many of the RCAF's F-51 Mustangs being received around 1950 as well.

This is what T.O. 01-60J-70 says (starting in May 1949, with the last update of the T.O. issued in October 1951):

To prevent malfunctioning of the engine during take-off and landing due to the use of incorrect power settings, a placard will be installed in all F-51 series and F-82B aircraft as follows:

A. Locally fabricate a typewritten placard with the following inscribed upon it and locate as near the throttle quadrant as possible:

(1) TAKE-OFF POWER: 61 IN. HG, 3000 RPM.

(2) AFTER EACH 30 MINUTES OF CONTINUOUS CRUISE OPERATIONS: CLEAN OUT ENGINE AT 61 IN. HG, 3000 RPM FOR ONE CONTINUOUS MINUTE.

(3) BEFORE LANDING: CLEAN OUT ENGINE AT 61 IN. HG, 3000 RPM FOR ONE CONTINUOUS MINUTE.
John Terrell

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

Thanks for the information and insight Bomber. Did they issue the directive due to the age of the airframes and engines?

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Hi, Moggster. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Civ Mustang. She's quite a bird.

I noticed a few posts back that you interpreted "tail low wheel landings" to mean touching down with the tailwheel first. You may have already discovered that this won't work. It should read "tail-low", and means somewhere between a wheel landing, in which you touch down in a level attitude and let the tail drop as you slow, and a "three-point landing" in which you contrive to have all the wheels arrive at the same time.

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Moggster wrote:Thanks for the information and insight Bomber. Did they issue the directive due to the age of the airframes and engines?

i read some where that this directive was issue because most mustangs were now flown with 150 octane highly leaded fuel that allowed mp of over 70 in mg... With the downside of fouling plugs quickly at cruise power setting...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”