New guy saying hello with a question or 2

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: New guy saying hello with a question or 2

Post by DHenriques_ »

Moggster wrote:That's what I thought Jim. I am flying the Mustang by the numbers using the RCAF Mustang 4 and in cockpit pilot notes. I tend to see the lower oil pressure at lower MP and RPMs. At higher settings, the oil pressure is within tolerance. Which kind of makes sense as the engine and oil will be cooler with the lower settings.
I guess if anyone knows how to fly a Mustang, it's going to be Dudley! I'm just worried about landing with the tail wheel 1st but I think if I make a mental note of how the Mustang sits on the ground, it should help with the landing AoA...as long as I don't exceed it.
Thanks for taking the time to help Jim, it's greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tail wheel low doesn't mean tail wheel first. All that means is that you can land the 51 on the mains with the tail wheel somewhat off the runway then let the tail settle in on it's own. Note that you should never force the tail wheel down after touchdown. This can lead to a bad bounce.
You can always if you prefer put a Mustang down 3 point. Tail wheel low was my preferred way to land this aircraft.
Dudley Henriques

Moggster
Senior Airman

Re: New guy saying hello with a question or 2

Post by Moggster »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. My main worry was landing on the tail wheel before the main gear and stressing the wheel unnecessarily. I took the liberty of checking how she sits on the ground, which appears to be 13° and I think I've really got nothing to worry about. I'm more accustomed to flying the DC-3 with it's flatter approach and landing.
Stepan, that's fascinating and certainly makes sense. I've gotten into the habit now of increasing the MP and RPMs every half hour or so in flight. Not sure if its the right thing to do but it does seem to bring the oil pressure down a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”