Cockpit zoom?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Cockpit zoom?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Alan_A wrote:I understand why others like a wider view angle but for me - again, I think, because of the time I've spent on photography - it's distracting to move away from a normal viewing perspective. Really a matter of preferences.
Yes, I think that's really the crux of it Alan: it's a matter of preference. I also tend towards the more zoomed-in view as the P-51 screenshot above probably shows. For me it seem to represent the 'closeness' of the instrument panel, the "sense of being in cramped quarters" as you put it earlier. The great photos the John posted above reassure me that the sense of proximity to that gunsight comes through quite nicely with the settings I use, even though I can't see the altimeter and so on! (However, being something of a tinkerer, I tend to fiddle with my settings quite regularly so I'll probably change my mind in a couple of months!) :)

Basically, it's all just a compromise between keeping stuff a sensible size, minimising distortion, but also having a reasonable field of view. This depends on our monitor size, how far we sit from it and so on, so there's no right or wrong answer I think. How's that for a cop-out response?

I recall I chuntered on about much the same thing with relation to the Cherokee in this thread recently. I really am starting to hang out here too much! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”