Dallas Canopy

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
paulbinet
Airman

Dallas Canopy

Post by paulbinet »

Hi all!
I'd like to suggest adding a little patch to the present A2A Mustangs (civil and military) to include an option for a Dallas canopy. This more bulged canopy provides a new look I personally prefer to the usual one.
The story of the "Dallas canopy" is a mistery for me, and I'd be happy if anyone can add some clues about its story and the origin of the nickname.
Its new shape was clearly designed to convey a more roomy environment for the pilot and at the same time, providing an even better view to the already excellent normal "D" version canopy, causing in return, some extra drag.
I know P-51s A, B and C used to be quite uncomfortable for long travels since (mainly tall pilots) had a hard task for trying to see the runway during landings or chasing an enemy plane. The "D" version improved some space over the pilot's head, but it seems (seeing in-flight shots) that it was still a little narrow. So, Dallas canopy includes a better head-canopy top distance. specially when a metallic helmet was used (after Korean war).
I hope Scott Gentile or Mihail Puto may take this idea and surprise us all with this new fashion for an eternal classic!
PAUL
"What the caterpillar calls ''the end of the world'', the master calls a ''butterfly''.” ― Richard Bach, Illusions

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: Dallas Canopy

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I don't recall the EXACT history, but it was named the Dallas canopy because that's where it was produced. Later in the war, to keep up with demand, they opened a plant in Dallas. The original plant was Inglewood, CA.
ImageImage
ImageImage

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

IIRC, the P -51Cs were manufactured in Dallas, the Bs in Inglewood and the Ds in both.

I believe Cody is correct that the D model 'Dallas' canopy was used in the Dallas plant.

Hopefully Bomber 12th will chime in with some specifics...:lol:...not to put you on the spot Bomber...:roll:

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

There were a number of variations of the D/K canopy, both in Inglewood production and Dallas production.

The first (Inglewood/California) P-51D canopy was formed from a mold, and had flat sides, and the tallest portion of the canopy was right in the middle. These were only fitted to the P-51D-5-NA. NAA referred to this canopy as the "-2".

By the end of D-5 production, and into D-10 (and Dallas) production, the canopies were free-blown, which provided the 'bulging' along the sides of the canopy, so that pilots could lean out a bit to see more around them. This next evolution also put the tallest portion of the canopy right above the pilot's head. NAA referred to this canopy as the "-6".

The Dallas factory had their own sub-contractor to make the canopies for their D's and K's, which performed the free-blowing process a bit differently than the sub-contractor for the Inglewood plant - this resulted in the different profiles of the same "-6" canopy design between the Dallas/Texas manufacturer and the Inglewood/California manufacturer. Differences in production methods over time also resulted in some slightly different canopy profiles throughout California and Texas production.

Here is a general run-down:

These photos show the Inglewood "-2" canopy - as only fitted to (the majority of) P-51D-5-NA's - this molded canopy featured flat sides and the tallest portion was in the middle of the canopy (behind the pilot):

The first form of the Inglewood "-6" canopy - as fitted to the last several P-51D-5-NA's, P-51D-10-NA's, and at least some P-51D-15-NA's - free-blown, with bulged sides and the tallest portion over the pilot - very little to no bulging at the rear of the canopy (some Dallas-produced canopies were very similar to this one):

Both of the above types can be seen in contrast in this photo:

The later form of the Inglewood "-6" canopy, as used on mid-late Inglewood P-51D production (not so much height in the upper forward bulge of the canopy, and a bit more bulging at the back of the canopy):

The "Dallas canopies" weren't all created equal either. The "prototypical" Dallas canopy is like the one seen immediately below, but it too was just one of a number of variations of the Inglewood "-6" canopy as produced by the Dallas sub-contractor (the more well known Dallas-produced canopy form was one that generally had a flatter/straighter back line):

This was another of the Dallas produced canopies (note how much larger it is in the rear section).

Other Dallas canopies:

Furthermore, the canopies fitted to CAC manufactured Mustangs also followed the similar form of the Dallas canopies:

John Terrell

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

And yes, the Dallas factory was used to produce P-51C's (identical to the Inglewood P-51B's), and P-51D's (identical to the Inglewood D's). Furthermore, the Dallas factory was the only one to produce the P-51K, which was simply specific production blocks, interspersed between P-51D production blocks, in which airframes, identical to D-model production, were mounted with Aeroproducts propellers and different nose cones designed to mount them - due to P-51 production out-pacing that of the Hamilton Standard propeller production/supply.

The NAA Dallas factory was actually in operation from from at least 1942, producing not only Mustangs, but also AT-6's/SNJ's/Harvard's, and B-24's (built under license from Consolidated). Between 1942 and 1945, the NAA Dallas plant rolled-out more than 18,000 aircraft.
John Terrell

paulbinet
Airman

Post by paulbinet »

Oh, yes... One never ends learning!
Thanks a lot guys for your unselfish contribution. I reallly appreciate it.
I still hope to wake up one morning, go to my A2A warbird and finding one of those bulged canopies into my maintenance hangar!
Paul 8)
"What the caterpillar calls ''the end of the world'', the master calls a ''butterfly''.” ― Richard Bach, Illusions

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”