Question on cruise flights

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Amber
Airman Basic

Question on cruise flights

Post by Amber »

Hello,
Since I've actually got to the forums, here's another issue I've encountered... Can anyone confirm that flight operation charts in the end of pilot manual apply to A2A mustangs? I've tried the "longest range" config with 108 gallon tanks (though PM used 110 but I assumed them being equal) at different altitudes, am usually not getting the speed I should have according to the chart... Which is marked to be for an "average" plane. Also, I was quite sad there's no option for 220 gal ferry tanks (undroppable afaik), I was hoping to exceed 4k km range on the thing :lol:
Also, my plane was lighter than in chart because I didn't take any ammo with me. Performed my attempt on the korean mustang, might consider earlier ones (korean just looks so much better to me.. From the inside at least)

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Question on cruise flights

Post by Scott - A2A »

Amber,

We tested the airplane against the clean charts, but created drag based on military tests. It is possible that the charts are off or the airplane or maybe both - it's hard to tell. I will look into this further however.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Amber
Airman Basic

Re: Question on cruise flights

Post by Amber »

Just tried the clear plane. The speed was only 5 miles above that in chart for "with racks" condition (couldn't find one for completely clear plane without racks which I used), which seems reasonable. Though I didn't measure the GPH, it seems +- ready for cruising in this condition.
BTW is there a way to tell my compressor or bearings are slightly off, just like cylinders with compression ~70psi (I normally try to make them reach 80, but don't reassemble until they get considerably below that)?

P. S. Also, manual I use (from Aug "45, AAF manual 51-127-5), tells to keep aux. fuel pump on at all times, though the earlier one I've seen on avialogs (one from "44 I think) suggested using it only in specific conditions (I can't remember what exactly). What does it actually affect?

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”