Tailwheel and taxiing...

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Tailwheel and taxiing...

Post by francesco.doenz »

Is the swiveling of the tailwheel simulated, because when on outside view I am not sure I see the tailwheel swiveling in turns? Or am I doing something incorrectly?
And what is the interest in taxying with the tailwheel locked? I understand that a locked tailwheel makes sense when taking off, but for taxying? In the manual they only suggest unlocking for tight turns, why not just let it unlocked?
Thank you already if someone can sum it up!?

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Tailwheel and taxying...

Post by Piper_EEWL »

francesco.doenz wrote:Is the swiveling of the tailwheel simulated, because when on outside view I am not sure I see the tailwheel swiveling in turns? Or am I doing something incorrectly?
And what is the interest in taxying with the tailwheel locked? I understand that a locked tailwheel makes sense when taking off, but for taxying? In the manual they only suggest unlocking for tight turns, why not just let it unlocked?
Thank you already if someone can sum it up!?
Yes the swiveling tail wheel is simulated. If you turn an push the stick forward the tail wheel will swivel. The plane just taxied more stable with a locked tail wheel. Because even on taxi you're prone for a groundloop without a locked tail wheel.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Yes thank you! I had to get rid of the dust to see the tailwheel swiveling!

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

The tailwheel is never really fully locked on the real aircraft. When you hold the stick back in the real aircraft, it allows you to control the tailwheel with the rudder pedals, so you actually get tailwheel steering, but only 6-degrees in either direction. This is actually usually enough, and most of the time during taxiing you'll see the pilot holding the stick back, even when making S-turns. Some of the old-school pilots used to recommend always making 3-point landings in the Mustang, as then at least you would immediately have tailwheel steering for additional control. Since this is only limited to 6-degrees in either direction, the alternative is to push the stick forward, where then the tailwheel is disengaged from the rudder pedals and is allowed to free-castor, so that you can make really tight turns.
John Terrell

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Re: Tailwheel and taxiing...

Taxying with the stick forward I already buried the nose into the tarmac, even if the Mustang is less sensitive to this than the Spit, learning the hard way....

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

francesco.doenz wrote:Taxying with the stick forward I already buried the nose into the tarmac, even if the Mustang is less sensitive to this than the Spit, learning the hard way....
You don't have to push the stick all the way forward. A little forward from the neutral position will already unlock the tailwheel to free castoring. Not pushing the stick forward all the way will considerably reduce the nose over tendencies. Also if you need to brake just pull the stick back. The P-51 is pretty stable considering nose over compared to other tailwheel aircraft.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Thanks again for your inputs, and I can add that I changed this weekend my microsoft force feedback stick for a new thrustmaster warthog and it makes a world of difference for taking off, much easier to control the plane, with fast response! Will see if I miss the thuddering of the stick when approaching stall!? But the ability to control the plane seems already more important to me.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

francesco.doenz wrote:Will see if I miss the thuddering of the stick when approaching stall!?
I don't have a force feedback stick but I feel like the A2A planes give you very good audible and visual warnings before a stall. It almost feels like you can feel it :wink:

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”