Map Case in Military P-51

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Map Case in Military P-51

Post by Jacques »

I finally bought the P-51 (military) during the recent sale and, as usual, the learning curve is steep! But I always love diving into the manuals, making mistakes and then going back into the manuals for some fine-tuning.

I did two and a half hours of touch and go's today, with all manner of fuel configurations- it seemed like the time passed in minutes instead of hours! I've flown a cross country from Edwards (KEDW) to Monterey ( KMRY) and though I might step the distance up by flying into Corvallis, Oregon (KCVO).

Which brings me to my question: pg. 32 of the Pilot's Manual for the military version mentions the shift+5 map being available by clicking on the map case located on the left side of the cockpit. The P-47 has a similar feature which, with Track IR is really convenient. Trouble is, there is no clickable spot on the left that I can see. There is a small canvas bag with a zipper, but that is not accessible.

Am I missing something, or did this feature somehow get de-activated by an update along the way?

I know I'm a bit late to the Mustang, but thanks for creating this cruelly addictive little beauty of an aircraft! Only 10 more hours until I can fasten the leather flight helmet and embark on another 2 and a half hours of pattern work!

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Map Case in Military P-51

Post by robert41 »

No click spot for me also.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Jacques wrote:Only 10 more hours until I can fasten the leather flight helmet and embark on another 2 and a half hours of pattern work!
That's the spirit :wink: :lol:

Sorry but that's the only contribution I can make to this issue since I only have the civilian Mustang. :D
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Jacques,

Like Piper_EEWL, I have only the civilian version of A2A P-51 Mustang, but it also has the same small bag on the left side. It has no point to be clicked at as well. I use Shift+5 for the map. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yeah, I'm using shift+5 as well. Just wondered what happened to the feature and if there were plans to put it back into the sim.

With Track IR it is quite jandy to just look at the case and click open the map, then click it closed-- better to maintain your site picture, less chance for things to go horribly wrong!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I'm sure that it works like this in the Spitfire. I haven't had time to check the Mustang yet though. I'll have to check on it.

Sorry Jacques. We're not of much help here are we? :?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I took the Mil P-51 up last night and can confirm that there is no active click-spot on what is assumed to be the map case.

I always open the map, which I have customized, with an icon on my installed radar gauge or the 2D window assigned to a button on my controller.

Paul

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Just a bump to ask of this can be looked at in a future update?

I also understand if you'd rather not crack open the P-51 again.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Jaques, yes its been noted.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Thanks, Lewis!

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Here's a quickly put together road map/guide in an authentic/original military stock P-51D/K cockpit. Although at the time this first photo was taken, the restoration was far from completed and it didn't have them yet, there are decals/placards denoting all of these items as well, as shown in the drawings (the case assembly itself should also be painted interior green, like the rest of the cockpit, not black as seen in the first photo).

John Terrell

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

That is a pretty busy area: stashing the map quickly so you can fumble around for the signal pistol, then unzip the flare cartridge bag....grab the right color flare (if they had different colors?), unscrew the safety cap for the flare gun receptacle, attach the gun and fire the flare....only to realize you fired the flare ten miles too late!

Very cool pictures and diagrams...I love these informative posts from those of you who are lucky enough to be around the real aircraft! Thanks very much!

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”