Taxying and left drifting?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Taxying and left drifting?

Post by francesco.doenz »

While taxying to the runway the aircraft has a slight left turning tendency, is it normal, expected, like on take off, or do I have some bug? Of course the controls are calibrated, wing tanks same quantity left right, rudder trim neutral, no brakes...but I have to constantly keep a slight pressure on the right pedal to keep the aircraft straight!?

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Taxying and left drifting?

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Yes I think it's normal. It's going to depend on how much power you use to taxi. The engine will always pull the Mustang to the left. If you accelerate a bit and then pull the power to idle the Mustang should pretty much taxi straight.

Also the wind is going to influence the direction the plane wants to turn while taxiing. What was the wind like when you experienced that?

But remember in real life there are even more variables to it. Like if the taxiway is tilted or if the tyre pressure is correct on both main wheels etc.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Post by francesco.doenz »

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your input, yes you must be right, I tested it with the Mustang going back AND forth, it always drifts to the left, on the same strech, and without wind. I then took the P-47, and same behaviour.
Amazing that at 1000 RPM's you already have left driving forces, I guess P-factor and slipstream?

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

You're welcome!

Yes I guess. Have you tried what I've suggested above as well? Accelerate and then pull the throttle back to idle? If it's p-factor and slipstream it should be gone then...

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”