Small Details

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Small Details

Post by Jacques »

I bought the P-51 during the last Holiday sale and have been flying this, along with the Spitfire and the P-47 quite a lot. It has taken me quite a few flights to get to just adequate at controlling her on takeoff! My first flights, probably the first twenty, were horrible for different reasons. But after a lot of "woodsheddin'" (repetitive practice), I feel like I'm starting to develop a good feel for how the aircraft behaves in different conditions and attitudes. So, I've graduated to doing longer cross-country flights to hone other skills.
On a recent flight I was in a steady climb, monitoring the gauges but thinking about other things when I saw the panel shudder slightly. I looked at the altimeter and the supercharger switch and confirmed I was passing through 18,000 ft. The shudder was, of course, the supercharger shifting from low to high. I just thought to myself that this is the coolest, most satisfying, most immersive airplane I've ever seen in 30-some years of flight simming.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Small Details

Post by DHenriques_ »

Jacques wrote:I bought the P-51 during the last Holiday sale and have been flying this, along with the Spitfire and the P-47 quite a lot. It has taken me quite a few flights to get to just adequate at controlling her on takeoff! My first flights, probably the first twenty, were horrible for different reasons. But after a lot of "woodsheddin'" (repetitive practice), I feel like I'm starting to develop a good feel for how the aircraft behaves in different conditions and attitudes. So, I've graduated to doing longer cross-country flights to hone other skills.
On a recent flight I was in a steady climb, monitoring the gauges but thinking about other things when I saw the panel shudder slightly. I looked at the altimeter and the supercharger switch and confirmed I was passing through 18,000 ft. The shudder was, of course, the supercharger shifting from low to high. I just thought to myself that this is the coolest, most satisfying, most immersive airplane I've ever seen in 30-some years of flight simming.
In the real 51 on a prolonged climb, sometimes I will anticipate the supercharger switch, reduce MP, make the switch manually thus avoiding the MP surge that usually accompanies the changeover.
You can do this in the sim as well.
Dudley Henriques

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Small Details

Post by Jacques »

When you say "usually" regarding the switch to high supercharger, am I wrong in thinking that it can be variable? The particular switch I described seemed almost gentle, the only clue was a slight shudder in the panel. I'm still taking baby steps and am, at times distracted by my own unfamiliarity with the aircraft. But, I will pay closer attention to the switch, and keep your suggestion in mind!

Another cool thing I forgot to mention-- having you around to share your experiences and provide advice on how to fly the aircraft in a more deliberate manner!

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”