Fuel booster pump -when to shut off?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Fuel booster pump -when to shut off?

Post by francesco.doenz »

Suddenly confused and cannot find the info, when do you shut off the fuel booster pump? I guess after take-off?
Thanks in advance for your inputs!

ft
Staff Sergeant

Re: Fuel booster pump -when to shut off?

Post by ft »

After landing.

Unless you have the three-position switch (which we do not) you check that it is on prior to take off and that's that until you are back on the ground. That's in the POH, but I had to search for a bit as well way back when.
Be warned: Aero engineer, real life pilot, sim programmer. Nothing good can come out of that.

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Post by francesco.doenz »

Many thanks, yes I have read the POH, and seen that the booster pump has to be switched off after landing, but found it weird that the whole flight was with it turned on, I was rather thinking that the pump would be used for take off and then turned off, and turned again on before landing as I believe it is done in with many aircrafts.
Interesting, but hard to understand why mechanically it has to be turned on the whole flight!

May be just got it, is the continued operation of the fuel booster pump to prevent wapor lock like for the P-47, when flying at high altitudes?

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

I switch it off after I've finished climbing and enter the cruise. I then turn it back on before landing and finally turn it off after touch down. I've also just rechecked my copy of the Air Transport Auxiliary Ferry Pilot Notes and it recommends pump settings of "take-off" for take-offs and "normal" for cruising for the Merlin engine Mustangs.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

For late model D Mustangs like this, just leave it on. It's designed to run all the time.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

CodyValkyrie wrote:For late model D Mustangs like this, just leave it on. It's designed to run all the time.
I think you're right there Cody. Rereading the RCAF Mustang 4 pilot notes, it does state that the fuel boost pump can be left on at all times of flight. It also says that the pump must be turned on for take off, climb, high power operation and landing approach.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”