Very Short Field ops, inspiered by afcraig2010

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Very Short Field ops, inspiered by afcraig2010

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Decided to give this short strip (2S1) a try in the Mustang.. Almost crash in the process....
So video goes like this, First landing, takeoff, couple minutes of basic aerobatics then second attemp... That went WRONG.. I hit the pitchy slope right before the threshold of the grass strip, that bounced me badly, I was commited, and should have push that sucker on the grass, but opted for a go around... (you can scroll to 8:25 to skip the aero) I should have smash the merlin into WEP but was affraid to loose control to prop torque, so I was, too gentle on the throttle, wasting important runway lenght...

Made it alive, but with absolutly no margin left..... Lesson learned: when commited, crash land it if you have too...

Feel free to comment!
Thank you afcraig2010 for pointing this nice little strip in the T6 forum...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcEVTAaku8&[/youtube]

Stephan

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Re: Very Short Field ops, inspiered by afcraig2010

Post by afcraig2010 »

Yup, there's a reason to practice go arounds, especially with that machine :) And yes, I would have WEP'd it getting it out of there. Otherwise well done! The Mustang can be challenging to put down in less than 2000ft, especially on grass. Landings look at lot easier in the direction you chose vs the direction I chose haha :lol:
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

afcraig2010 wrote:The Mustang can be challenging to put down in less than 2000ft, especially on grass. Landings look at lot easier in the direction you chose vs the direction I chose haha :lol:
Yeah, I didn't check but this almost look like its sloped... or is it just a visual effect because of the sheer size of the threes? That's why I try it in the oposite direction you did...

Cheer!

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

If it's sloped, it can't be much. I'm warming up my Mustang there right now, looking at those trees :shock:

In real life, the trees are 70ft tall. According to the Airport/Facility Directory: https://skyvector.com/airport/2S1/Vasho ... al-Airport
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Best of luck!! Post a clip if you can!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

Last edited by afcraig2010 on 16 Apr 2016, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

afcraig2010 wrote:Here's my response in the Mustang.
Solid flying there! And balls of steel! Those trees, they are yelling:" Don't, just don't even think about it!!!"
Nice frame rate on your vid by the way! ;)

How much fuel onboard?

I had 35 gals on both side.

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

I pulled up my shift+4 menu to show you guys. They're about half full, no fuselage tank. Before I recorded, I bounced a landing and immediately WEP'd it and it really got out of there, especially with full flaps still!

And yea with P3D v3 it performs well with the help of a 980ti ;) Sacrifice was worth it.

Oh and don't forget to check out the other strip just south of Vashon. On the same island. I just landed there with the Mustang with...an interesting approach. Might have to upload a short clip of that if I can fine tune it.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Jeez, just saw your "approach" and landing.. great job! You really have this flown "by the seat of your pants" and even make it look easy! Kudo!
I also link your vid in the description of mine like you did! Good idea, we might get some new people into A2A warbirds over time, who knows! Never really had any views on my video, but over time, we never know...

Alraight, I'll let you set the next challenge! ;) You aced mine!

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

afcraig2010 wrote:I pulled up my shift+4 menu to show you guys. They're about half full, no fuselage tank. Before I recorded, I bounced a landing and immediately WEP'd it and it really got out of there, especially with full flaps still!

And yea with P3D v3 it performs well with the help of a 980ti ;) Sacrifice was worth it.
Just saw it! ;) Yeah, I'm on the verge to pull the trigger on a 970.. my 660ti is showing its age big time since I upgraded my CPU/Mobo/Ram up. GPU load is at 99-100% all the time...

I'll look for the other strip you mentioned

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

When you're too lazy to go around.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJd1NBc ... e=youtu.be

I'll be going to bed soon (night shift) but tonight I'll look for some challenges :)
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

stephan.cote.1 wrote:Jeez, just saw your "approach" and landing.. great job! You really have this flown "by the seat of your pants" and even make it look easy! Kudo!
I've got around 130 hours in the Porterfield CP-65 in my profile picture. It's just like a Cub. As you can see in this video, I love slipping :)

:arrow: https://youtu.be/sSIsnbXDXUA?t=28s
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”