P-51 Military after 4-16-16 Update

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
ft
Staff Sergeant

Re: P-51 Military after 4-16-16 Update

Post by ft »

This sounds very similar to a problem quite a few of us had a few updates back. I think it was a reinstall of The Accu package which did the trick then.
Be warned: Aero engineer, real life pilot, sim programmer. Nothing good can come out of that.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yes, I went a bit further than that, but I would try what "ft" suggests first before a complete un-install/re-install of the Mustang.

NL451MG
Senior Airman

Post by NL451MG »

It seems it's the update. Reinstalled the accusim, and that didn't work. Uninstalled/reinstalled the Mustang, and that didn't work. I'm going to try something else the next time I go to fly it, but unfortunately, it seems to be almost uncontrollable on the ground above taxi speed.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

NL451MG wrote:It seems it's the update. Reinstalled the accusim, and that didn't work. Uninstalled/reinstalled the Mustang, and that didn't work. I'm going to try something else the next time I go to fly it, but unfortunately, it seems to be almost uncontrollable on the ground above taxi speed.
You will need to delete the update folder and apply the latest updater otherwise you will have issues as the files wont be in line.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Thomas73
Airman Basic

Post by Thomas73 »

I've been following this discussion as I experienced the same problem.

After the installation of the 4-16-16 update, the P-51 Military (with accusim) showed a very strange behaviour on the ground.
On take-off roll I had normal rudder response from 0 to ca. 35 mph. Above 35 mph the P-51 pulled left and I couldn't compensate this even with full right rudder. Using a long and wide rundway I could hold the plane on the runway by applying the brakes. When the tail came up, the rudder control was quite "normal".

I recalibratet the rudder pedals but it didn't help. The Spitfire with accusim worked fine, so the pedals seemed not to be the problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled the P-51 several times - without success.

The following procedure was the solution to my Problem:

- Uninstalled the accusim P-51
- Uninstalled the WOP P-51
- Deleted all remaining folders (c:\...\...\fsx\a2a\p51) and (c:\...\...\fsx\SimObjects\Airplanes\WoP3_P51D)
- Deleted all folders with repaints of the WOP3-P51
- Rebooted the computer
- Run registry cleaner
- Rebooted the computer
- Installed the WoP3-P51D
- Installed accusim for the P51D
- Rebooted the computer
- Made a test flight with the P-51 -> it worked beatifully with different loadings
- Rebooted the computer
- Run the 4-16-16 updater
- Rebooted the computer
- Made a test flight with the P-51 -> it worked beatifully with different loadings
- Rebooted the computer
- Installed my favourite repaint, a Swiss P-51
- Rebooted the computer
- Made a test flight with the P-51 ->it started to dance a walz at 35 mph again!!!
- Uninstalled the Swiss-P51 repaint
- Rebooted the computer
- Made a test flight with the P-51 -> it works fine as desired

It took me ten days and countless hours to discover the reason of my problem. Maybe, my experience helps to prevent other Simmers from wasting their time.

Thanks to the A2A Team for creating such beautiful planes. Thank you for the ongoing support and further development of your products. I really like the dedication and the sense of quality of A2A.

I apologise for my "rugged" English - it's not my native language.

NL451MG
Senior Airman

Post by NL451MG »

Uninstalled/Reinstalled completely and I'm still having the issue even after deleting the update folder.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

At 35 mph, the tail may be coming up. If you are at full power at this point, the hard left yaw is due to the tail coming up and swinging from the pfactor.

Try keeping power at 30" until your tail is up, then slowly apply power and see if this helps.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I just texted Dudley to give more detail on this, and here is his first hand insight on this:

"The trick is to have enough power on the tail to get the nose down while avoiding the gyroscopic effect on the prop disk as it applies the force 90 degrees ahead of the top of the prop arc. That and not the torque is the real problem. The torque correction is in roll and requires right aileron which should already be held in.

What I usually did was to slowly advance while standing still to around 30 inches then let it roll forward with the stick just aft of neutral. then as I felt I had good rudder response I'd "help" the tail up. As the tail came up and I stabilized and slowly add the rest of the power watching carefully in my peripheral vision the engine T gauge, the tach, and especially the MP to keep it around 55 inches (100LL).

I would say, and have so said many many times when lecturing to new pilots coming through a P51 buy and checkout, that the division of your eyeball scan between the final power up to 55" and the runway centerline track is one of the most difficult things one has to learn how to do when flying these airplanes. Over concentration either way can get you into trouble fast. You can't lose the center line. You have to verify no abnormal indication on the T Gauge, and you can't over shoot the MP because of the supercharger.

In short, taking off in a Mustang is not a matter of just pushing up the MP :-)))"
- Dudley Henriques

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

I flew the mustang several times after the last update and haven't really noticed much difference, other than maybe some improved ground physics and the fact that it needs less primer for startup. I always just gradually advance the htrottle to around 60 inches on the manifold and work the rudder to keep it straight. A little right aileron should be applied as well.

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

in the cfg file there is a line that by default reads

point.0 = 1, -13.8839, 0, -3.25, 3000, 0, 0.55, 180, 0.125, 4, 0.6, 1, 4, 0, 148, 180

some of us change it to

point.0 = 1, -13.8839, 0, -3.25, 3000, 0, 0.55, 90, 0.125, 4, 0.6, 1, 4, 0, 148, 180

The difference is that the "180" after "0.55" means the tail wheel is non-steerable. Changing it to "90" means you can steer the tail wheel. The latest update changed (restored?) the file to "180." This may be the reason you have trouble steering at low speeds.

This may be a cheat of sorts, but frankly with the setting at "180" I experienced no tail wheel control at all. I had to rely on braking and gunning the engine to put air across the rudder. Changing to "90" gave me the precious 6 degree steering everyone was excited about.

Wayne

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

While anyone is free to edit files as they wish on their computer, I would not recommend changing the tailwheel contact points as the result will be less realistic ground handling. I have no problems taxiing the Mustang as this is very close to what it's like taxiing the actual airplane. However, if you are looking for easier ground handling, then editing this shouldn't break anything.

However, one more thing to note is, when you edit the aircraft.cfg files, the updater's CRC check will see the install as having been altered, and will revert to a full update. This won't hurt anything, but will just mean the download size will be bigger and not smaller (incremental).

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

Thank you for your gentle reply. I changed the line back to the default numbers.

Is it normal to have just about zero steering below 10 mph? That's what I have now. It seems the only steering I have comes from air across the rudder and differential braking. If this is the norm, great.

Thanks again for a great airplane (as are the three others from A2A that I own), and thanks for the insight on the cfg file.

Wayne

NL451MG
Senior Airman

Post by NL451MG »

You should have steering no problem without having to gun the engine and use differential breaking. I'm going to try the other suggestions on takeoff power when I fly her next and see what happens. Hope that's all it is.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”