Really Hard to Start after Update

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
NeverMiss51
Airman

Really Hard to Start after Update

Post by NeverMiss51 »

My CIV/MIL Mustangs have the new update. I LOVE the new sound and the way the plane torques left when engine running. But, yesterday, I tried to go for a flight. The weather was clear, in the 60s. It took forever to get it start. I tried everything. It did eventually catch, and then ran tough for a few minutes..

A little while later on a second flight. I had to SHIFT-E to get it started.

There was nothing "wrong" with the plane as far as the maintanance page.

Anyone else having issues getting it started?
The "YellowJackets", P-51's of the 361st Fighter Group, 8th Air Force

P-51 CIV/MIL Comanche T-6 TEXAN

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Really Hard to Start after Update

Post by Piper_EEWL »

How much primer are you using? I find that the civilian Mustang needs a lot less primer than before. I use exactly 4 seconds on the cold engine. Haven't tried a hot start so far. If I prime a bit more it seems to flood immediately now!?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Piper_EEWL is right, like it is described in the manual 4 seconds prime is enough, otherwise you risk flooding. Throttle "cracked" is also reduced, I find very little upward movement of the throttle lever to be enough now.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

NeverMiss51
Airman

Post by NeverMiss51 »

ok, yeah, I held the primer for like 5 or 6 seconds. Then, when it would not start...held it even more!

So, whats the proper way to get a flooded engine started? Is it throttle FULL, mixture OFF until it catches?
The "YellowJackets", P-51's of the 361st Fighter Group, 8th Air Force

P-51 CIV/MIL Comanche T-6 TEXAN

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

NeverMiss51 wrote:ok, yeah, I held the primer for like 5 or 6 seconds. Then, when it would not start...held it even more!

So, whats the proper way to get a flooded engine started? Is it throttle FULL, mixture OFF until it catches?
On the P-51 Civ you will probably drain the battery before the excess fuel is evaporated and the starter will hate you. Just let is sit foe a couple of minutes before trying again. when you try a bit of extra throttle should help.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

5-6 seconds is exactly what I used to do before the update. But that seems to be to much now (6 seconds would mean 50% more fuel so it kinda makes sense). So I look at the clock in the cockpit and try to go 4 seconds exactly with the cold engine.

And yes. If the engine is flooded waiting for a couple of minutes is probably best. Then try to restart without priming with the throttle open. I wouldn't go full but maybe 50%. Just play a little with the settings once you've flooded the engine.

The beautiful thing about the simulator is that if you do drain the batterie and don't get it started it A) won't cost you money and B) there's no bystanders so it isn't embarrassing either :wink:

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

The method I've chosen to use is to under prime, engage the starter then "tickle" the prime switch for very short periods until the engine starts to catch. At this point, I stop priming and in a few seconds the engine fires up completely and the mixture is moved to "run".

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

With fuel injected engines, I tend to think, "when in doubt, DON'T prime."

You want to be sure the engine isn't flooded. So if you are in doubt and don't prime, then start cranking... if the engine doesn't catch, you can then prime while it's cranking. If you start to hear it sputter, you know you're on the right track.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”