Airspeed Indicator

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Bosko
Airman First Class

Airspeed Indicator

Post by Bosko »

So I finally made my first successful flight in the P-51 without crashing horribly. Did a 200 mile flight from Detroit. On my descent, the Airspeed Indicator went down to 0. So I thought it was possibly due to the pitot tube freezing as I flew through some clouds and it was quite cold up there. I turned on the Pitot Heat and kept it on the rest of the descent and landing(about 20 minutes total). The indicator's functionality never came back. Is that something that can happen?

-Brendan
A2A T-6, Comanche, C182, C172, P51 Civilian, B377, Cub.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Airspeed Indicator

Post by Jacques »

Was your generator switch set to "on"? If not, and you had lights switched on, could they have drained the battery enough that the pitot heat was inoperative when you turned it on?

Bosko
Airman First Class

Post by Bosko »

I'm pretty sure the generator was on, but that's a good thought. It is possible it was off. I'll keep that in mind if it happens again, thanks!

-Brendan
A2A T-6, Comanche, C182, C172, P51 Civilian, B377, Cub.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

If you're also using Active Sky, this phenomenon is thought to be an incompatibility between ASN and Accusim aircraft...if you just make sure your pitot doesn't ice up in the first place by ensuring pitot heat is on prior to encountering freezing temperatures, you'll be able to avoid it.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”