It certainly feels much better after the latest ACCUSIM!

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
jcomm
Senior Airman

It certainly feels much better after the latest ACCUSIM!

Post by jcomm »

Sorry for the double post, but since it refers specifically to the P51d Civil and Military versions, I decided to post it here too:

I had been away from using FSX for a while, and when last week I downloaded and applied this latest patch and went flying my p51d civil, military, as well as the cessnas and the 250, but particularly the p51s, I noticed something had changed, for the better, in terms of prop effects and pitch stability.

Either it's me seeing things, or it has been there since many updates before and I didn't notice, or was ever there and that's even more strange :-O, or it's actaully changed from previous versions ( ? )

Well, prop effects overall in MSFS are tame and fade away as you pass clean stall speed, but A2A has always tried to do some magic to their aircraft and bring some more plausible feel to their fleet. My impression was that it wasn't still enough, but after "flying" the p51d with this latest patch I was very positively surprised by how much it yaws and required much more trim work for power adjustments than I recall from my past experience.

Another area where I noticed some difference was in pitch stability. Due to it's pitch satbility characteristics, namely, as so well defined by Murmur:

Quote from a post by Murmur at the AVSIM Forums:
"[...]pitch stability decreases with the increase in lift coefficient (and hence AoA), becoming lower at higher AoA's and higher at lower AoA's.

So, what happens is that when you pitch up _in a certain AoA range_, you're going through the shallower part of the pitch stability curve, while when you pitch down, you're going through the steeper part of the curve[...]"

is that indeed I now have this kind of feedback from my inputs when satrting from trimmed "stable" flight conditions, with differences being evident as we fill the fuselage tank.

Honestly these are two areas where I though there was something not so good in A2A's p51d in the past, and I believe I now see a plausible behavior, having proper "ball" displacement for power adjustments at a wider range of speeds and AoAs, and also regarding static and dynamic pitch stability. Maybe it has always been there, and my tests weren't carefuly conducted, maybe it's really something that changed, for better, with the latest version(s) of Accusim ?
Last edited by jcomm on 06 May 2016, 09:33, edited 3 times in total.
Use your flight simulators with a well defined purpose...

Don't expect them to be "perfect" or to fully cover all aspects of simulated flight...

Try to enjoy it instead of stressing... ( in few words - don't be like me ... )

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: It certainly feels much better after the latest ACCUSIM!

Post by Scott - A2A »

jcomm,

It's fairly recent. We completely re-wrote a key area of the physics including side loading and the ball in the turn and bank indicator. This was developed on the GA side of things and brought in with the T-6 development, into the Warbird side. It's nice you posted this, because both Dud and I have been really enjoying the latest Mustang. Just taking off is so much more engaging and responsive. Most of my time in the Mustang now is just doing pattern work at my home airport.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

jcomm
Senior Airman

Re: It certainly feels much better after the latest ACCUSIM!

Post by jcomm »

Thx a LOT for confirming this Scott!

Amazing indeed the new feel, inflight and during taxi / takeoff - now you have really nailed that shadowed, for years!, area of the TC core "bug", we finally have a plausive turn-coordinator, and it's really a joy to fly this aircraft, and the others in the fleet!

Great progress!!!!
Use your flight simulators with a well defined purpose...

Don't expect them to be "perfect" or to fully cover all aspects of simulated flight...

Try to enjoy it instead of stressing... ( in few words - don't be like me ... )

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”