The civ. a great touring aircraft : a case in point

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Dominique
Technical Sergeant

The civ. a great touring aircraft : a case in point

Post by Dominique »

The Mustang is not only a racer or an aerobatic aircraft. It is a very enjoyable tourer. I did yesterday a flight from Italy to Croatia, flying at FL 215 and 345 knots GS which shows how sweet it can be !

http://strips.proboards.com/thread/43/r ... rollTo=133
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: The civ. a great touring aircraft : a case in point

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Cool trip, nice shots! Thanks for sharing Dominique. I really enjoy touring in P-51 Civ too. :wink:
Sad, P-51 is just one sitter (no room for Heidi).Although some of the flying nowadays Mustangs have a squeezed second passenger, behind the pilot, where the old radio equipment was.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Very nice shots indeed. The Mustang is a great touring plane. But good thing that virtual Avgas doesn't cost money :wink:

Thanks for sharing

Oh btw funny that the Mustang leaves a contrail
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Thanks you both, I am glad you enjoyed them. The 51 and the OrbX scenery make a wonderful combo, the intricacy of flying a powerful aircraft and the beauty of the landscape below.. I just did a short flight in Montenegro with the T6 (no PIREP !), same feeling !

Yes, the 51 leaves a contrail, I don't know whether it should or not actually. I'd rather have none.
Dominique
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

P-51s definitely leave contrails if conditions are right:

"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

High alt low blower = pretty fuel efficient flight.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

The contrail altitude will vary with pressure, humidity etc etc but anything flying up there will leave one. Usually above Angels 20 or so.

I spend a lot of time avoiding that level whilst doing PR flights!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Thanks for the explanation on the contrail. I know that piston aircraft can also leave one but I never took the Mustang that high in the sim. So it just looked funny for a moment there on the screenshots.

Thanks for the high altitude low blower advise Scott I'll have to give that a try.

I guess I have some more high altitude P-51 flying to do :wink: :D
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Piper_EEWL wrote: I never took the Mustang that high in the sim. : :D

You got to find a niche for each aircraft, I use the T6 below FL100, the P40 in the FL100s and the P51 in the FL200s :D ! The 51 fly at a amazing speed up above.
Scott - A2A wrote:High alt low blower = pretty fuel efficient flight.

Scott.
I usually flight 1/1,5 hour flight at 43/2500 in the mid or upper 20K feet in high blower mode. If I want to get a better endurance , I reduce the MP/RPM. Should I force switch the blower to low ?
Dominique

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Dominique wrote:

You got to find a niche for each aircraft, I use the T6 below FL100, the P40 in the FL100s and the P51 in the FL200s :D ! The 51 fly at a amazing speed up above.

Scott.
I usually flight 1/1,5 hour flight at 43/2500 in the mid or upper 20K feet in high blower mode. If I want to get a better endurance , I reduce the MP/RPM. Should I force switch the blower to low ?
Yes and no, depends how much manifold pressure you can get at your altitude/!rpm... You can obviously afford to loose a few inches of mp by dropping from hi to low blower since the high speed blower rubs a few 100s hp frown the crank shaft.. You'll have to go trial and error a bit to find your sweet spot. Increasing rpm might allow for a bit more boost on low blower but be careful, it doesn't take a big increase in rpm to rub away any fuel saving low blower setting can provide you. Do not forget to set air intake to rammed air above 9 - 10 000 ft to let airspeed help your manifold pressure ...

Please correct me if I'm wrong in what I say!

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

stephan.cote.1 wrote:
Dominique wrote:

Scott.
Yes and no, depends how much manifold pressure you can get at your altitude/!rpm... You can obviously afford to loose a few inches of mp by dropping from hi to low blower since the high speed blower rubs a few 100s hp frown the crank shaft.. You'll have to go trial and error a bit to find your sweet spot. Increasing rpm might allow for a bit more boost on low blower but be careful, it doesn't take a big increase in rpm to rub away any fuel saving low blower setting can provide you. Do not forget to set air intake to rammed air above 9 - 10 000 ft to let airspeed help your manifold pressure ...

Please correct me if I'm wrong in what I say!
Thanks for shedding some light on this issue, trials and errors seems indeed the way to go... Actually I've never really try to optimize my fuel consumption. I should :) ...
Dominique

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”