New Captain of the Ship Aircraft - Connie L049

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Re: New Captain of the Ship Aircraft - Connie L049

Post by thunderstreak »

Sorry, but if you saw a Connie with a collector ring, you didn't see an L-049A. It was either an L-649 or L-749 with "Jet Stacks". This is a different engine than is being done here. The L049A had either 6 stacks, or 12, depending on the operator. As such, the Skyraider is the closest you'll get to the right exhaust.

Cap, I'm no expert so feel free to prove me wrong.
The early 3350's had forward facing exhaust ports on the front row of cylinders, requiring a collector ring.
The above pic shows the outlets from the collector on an L-049.
I can't find any good pics of the outlets for the rear row of cylinders.

Regardless, a Skyraider, Sea Fury (w/3350) and Rare Bear all have the newer variant with all rear facing exhaust ports and individual short stacks.
Very different sound, IMHO.
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S
P3Dv5 L049 T-6 172 182 PA-24 PA-28 Spit P-51x2 P-40 Bonanza B-17 Accu-Feel

[email protected], ASUS Z170-P 32GB DDR4 2133 RTX 2070 8GB Win10Pro P3Dv5.1 HF1

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

A "collector ring" collects all cylinders from a bank or the whole engine to 1 exhaust. The L049 had 1 exhaust for every 2 cylinders. You can't see the upper exhausts in your picture, but they exhausted from the area under the upper cowl flap. If you look at more "side-on" pictures, you'll see the soot stains from the upper exhausts. There was a either late production or after-market mod done to some L049As and L149s that took what looks like an L649 "gill" cowling and put short stacks under the gills instead of the single "jet pipe" exhaust.

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Either way I'm pretty sure that it will be closer to the actual 049 engine than tinkered samples from 2800s or 1340s or whatever.

As I said earlier the exhaust is responsible of equalization, aggressiveness, loudness and all amplitude-related aspects of the sound. But the tone won't change with the exhaust.

Quick example to listen on youtube: RR Griffon on a late Spitfire (short stacks linked to two exhaust valves each). Then listen to the WR963 Shackleton's griffon, with long headers. Not quite the same; less agressive sound, more round, because of the long headers. But in both cases you know that it's a griffon because of the specifc gurgling roar. With some Audacity (audio software) tricks you can make one sound pretty much like the other.

After that listen to any merlin; now that's different :D :D
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Post by thunderstreak »

Ok, not trying to start an argument here, far too much respect for this forum.
CAP, I agree the rear bank exhausts exit under the gills as you say.
BUT, the front bank has 2 outlets and a collector ring because of the forward facing exhaust ports.

Finally found a pic to prove my point.

Note the collector ring at the very front of the cowl.

Regardless of all this, I am really looking forward to A2A's new L-049, can't wait!
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Interesting, I have never seen a photo showing this configuration. I have only seen references to there being 6 exhausts (3 front, 3 back) and no mention of cooling issues, which was the biggest problem with the B-29 since that forward exhaust created problems keeping the engines cool even in moderate climates. Also, the short stacks under the gills is not the same as what you see in that picture. The L-049A has 4 cowl flaps. The late production L-649As had a new cowling with 2 large "gill"-type cowl flaps that would be a characteristic of all later versions of the Connie and introduced the "Jet Stack" configuration. I had a book (lost in a move) that showed this style of cowling installed on an L-049A with 6 stacks under each of these gills. I never saw any citation and have been unable to find anything solid on when this modification was introduced and if it was available from Lockheed or if it was done by an airline depot maintenance facility.

thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Post by thunderstreak »

FYI found this pic today which better shows an outlet from the rear collector as well.
Looking closer at the first pic I posted you can see it directly behind the front outlet though obscured slightly by the exhaust staining.

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Post by R-2800-59 »

I have to admit that I watch this topic excitedly every day...

This is one incredibly beautiful picture. The Lockheed Company sure is one of the most influential of all times. Just look at the Vega as a design of the late 20s still appearing kind of "chic" on this company shot in the 40s.

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

Any news about the Constellation ?

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Daube wrote:Any news about the Constellation ?
From what I've read Scott will be trying to push her out once he is back from this year's Oshkosh. This means beta of course.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Lufthansa 380 wrote:
From what I've read Scott will be trying to push her out once he is back from this year's Oshkosh. This means beta of course.
My goodness, that's why it takes so long! Scott is pushing the Connie out himself? We need to recruit some people in the area to help him. Maybe someone can lend him a pushback-vehicle? :-P
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Medtner wrote:
Lufthansa 380 wrote:
My goodness, that's why it takes so long! Scott is pushing the Connie out himself? We need to recruit some people in the area to help him. Maybe someone can lend him a pushback-vehicle? :-P

shouldn't it be able to push it out itself in "beta range"? :P :P

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

MarcE wrote:
Medtner wrote:
Lufthansa 380 wrote:

shouldn't it be able to push it out itself in "beta range"? :P :P
Indeed! This is getting complicated. So much conflicting information. :-P
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hey guys,

I stumbled across this on YouTube. Haven seen it here so I thought I might share it with you all.

https://youtu.be/UTmgaaq8sMc

The beginning reminds a bit of the old Stark Trek opening :D
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Hey guys,

I stumbled across this on YouTube. Haven seen it here so I thought I might share it with you all.

https://youtu.be/UTmgaaq8sMc

Interesting flick, I've watched similar one for Piper J3 Cub. Thanks for sharing. :)

https://youtu.be/Q6q1VKsTeKQ
12 years before the first series :D

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Glad you like it. Yes I think I've seen this one about the Cub. But thanks for sharing. Those are always worth to rewatch.
Lz-WIL wrote:12 years before the first series :D
Maybe that's where they got their idea for that opening :wink: :lol:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”