Mustang won't start after upgrade to latest accu-sim

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Mustang won't start after upgrade to latest accu-sim

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Is the engine not catching? Is it at least coughing? There is fuel and you don't have any problems in the maintenance hangar right? Are you following the procedure I had you above?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Bosko
Airman First Class

Post by Bosko »

I had a lot of trouble starting it after the latest updates. Any more than about 1 second of priming and it gets flooded. This is in the 50-70 degree(F) range.

If I were you I'd do no priming before starting. Start priming after you engage the starter. For some reason, this works best for me and it starts up very quickly.

Now, I've never flown or even started up a real one, so I don't know if that's as intended but it works every time for me at those temperatures.

Regarding your left spin on takeoff... I had this problem too, but I found that it only happens when I takeoff too soon. If I keep it on the ground a bit longer and let the speed increase more before taking off, then it doesn't want to spin to the left.

-Brendan
A2A T-6, Comanche, C182, C172, P51 Civilian, B377, Cub.

stiffstarch1
Airman

Post by stiffstarch1 »

one other thing.. I have Vertical Simulations (VRS) Tac Pak installed. Everytime I start FSX, it asks me if I want to use the TacPak. I say no cause I only use it with their F18 Simulation. Could this be causing a problem with other applications within FSX?

stiffstarch1
Airman

Post by stiffstarch1 »

All Correct Piper. I have fuel, I have even tried other fuel tanks. The prop is spinning, just not catching. Not even a cough. No problems in Maintenance hanger.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I don't know about the TacPac. That's a bit wired though. Mine starts like a charm every time. :?

Maybe try to prime less. Turn the starter count six blades and put the magnetos to both. Then if she doesn't catch try to prime some more. But give it a second. She needs some rounds even with the mags on both to catch.

If it still doesn't work you could delete your day file and see if that helps.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

stiffstarch1
Airman

Post by stiffstarch1 »

ok...good news..I deactivated VRS TacPak, did not prime engine until after she was truning over , hit mags and the primed...she started right up!!!

However, still have vicious aileron roll, primarily to left. I have recalibrated joystick, tried aileron trim to right about 4-5 degrees. she just wants to roll, very unstable. I do NOt ram throttle forward, but gently advance to about 40 inches, keeping tail wheel on ground till about 100 mph...still wants to roll, mostly to left...i end up over correcting and then i crash and burn.

Any suggestions about this??

Thanks for any help...sorry to be such a PITA.

stiffstarch1

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Well first of all great that the engine is finally running.

For the left roll. What is your rudder trim set to? Should be 6 degrees to the right. Also try not to force the plane of the ground. Is your aileron trim set to 0?

Bosko
Airman First Class

Post by Bosko »

I would think at 100mph you shouldn't have too much left roll on takeoff. You may want to try keeping it on the ground a bit longer though. I don't remember exactly how fast I go at takeoff(100mph sounds about right), but I do know the longer I keep it on the ground the better it's behavior once I do get airborne. Maybe do a few quick takeoffs at 100, 110 and 120 and see the differences. Just an idea.

-Brendan
A2A T-6, Comanche, C182, C172, P51 Civilian, B377, Cub.

stiffstarch1
Airman

Post by stiffstarch1 »

Hi..rudder trim set to 6 degrees right, aileron set to 0 degrees. It starts to roll when tail comes up but main wheels still on ground. Weird. I am going to check to make sure differential braking that is the left brake is not on or draging causing pull to left .

I'll keep trying.

Thanks

stiffstarch1

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Is it rolling to the left or is it yawing to the left?

stiffstarch1
Airman

Post by stiffstarch1 »

it is rolling to the left...left wing tip down.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

If you haven't yet, take a look at this thread - lots of specifics on Mustang takeoffs.

I'm wondering if you might not be holding the tail down too long - if the tail comes up suddenly at the end of the roll, you'll be dealing with a lot of complex forces at high speed and low altitude. And if the tail doesn't come up before takeoff, there's this...
DHenriquesA2A wrote: The takeoff roll in a Mustang is a very complex event control wise. There are several forces in play and they vary in intensity at various airspeeds as your speed increases. To get it all just right in FSX so that the result is a realistic experience for the sim pilot has been a daunting task for the A2A flight model team. In my opinion they did a super job on this!
You begin your takeoff in a Mustang with the stick aft of neutral to lock the tail wheel but this doesn't last a long time because as the airplane accelerates the tail wants to come up naturally and you don't want to keep that stick back too long because at the angle of attack that produces, lift is developing VERY fast as speed increases and you can easily reach a rotation point on the lift curve where the airplane will fly before you have sufficient airspeed. This situation in a Mustang is extremely dangerous as power is high, angle of attack is high, and you don't have enough airspeed yet to develop the dynamic pressure on the control surfaces you need to deal with the tremendous forces attempting to both yaw and roll the airplane. This is the exact situation that causes torque roll and has killed many a P51 pilot who didn't have a working knowledge of this airplane.
There's more where that came from!

Also, have a look at this thread, which includes links to some of the other Mustang tips threads, but it also includes some additional commentary on takeoffs.

Do by all means check your control calibration, but my experience was that the P-51 takeoff roll was a punishing experience that took a long time to get right. Rewarding when it finally came together, though.

Hope this helps.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

stiffstarch1
Airman

Post by stiffstarch1 »

Thanks so much Allan. I have been keeping tail down and I had no idea what a can of worms this was producing. I will try this and also follow up on the thread you provided.

Thanks again to all.

Stiffstarch1

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

I come late to this thread, my 2 cents though as I had your issues a couple of times :

1- difficulty to start after the upgrade was a flooding issue. See here http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=53866 , specially Scott's post to start after an engine flooding. It works like a charm.

2- the Mustang is tricky to take off but once you've nailed it, you can have a consistent record of taking off straigh and level to altitude.

The only times I had the irresistible pull to the left during the take off run that you describe, was when I forgot to unlock the controls. If you do unlock them (and check in external view) and still get the pull, I suspect that your rudder control disconnects itself. It may happen (USB overload, OS problem etc.).

If the pull is actually a violent roll to the left of the aircraft when you're few feet off the ground, you keep the joystick aft too long. A 3 point take off when the speed is below minimum, is a real bad idea with the 51, in the best of days :) . As soon as you have directional control with the rudder which comes early in the run, ease the joystick forward to the neutral position.

My Mustang is the civ. version.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”