Flat spin recover

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Flat spin recover

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Today, as I was stretching my P-51 Civ, due to an improperly executed intentional stall, I entered a hard left flat spin at 4500 feet MSL. I immediately reduced power to idle, put stick to neutral and applied opposite rudder several times. I was not able to recover unfortunately, also did not have the courage to see the Mustang crash into the sea, I hit "Esc" :oops: at roughly 500 feet.
My question is, were my actions proper in this case? If I have thrown more drag into the spin ( i.e. deploying full flaps and drop landing gear) would it have helped in any way?

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Flat spin recover

Post by Scott - A2A »

Dudley is the one who can speak to this with authority and experience on the real Mustang. However with many airplanes, if the spin develops it can take longer to counter and recover from a spin.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Thanks for the swift reply Scott. I thought so myself, that 4500 feet is low for a "watch this..." moment. :mrgreen: Yes, I am curious to see what Mr. Henriques will answer about involving additional drag into the spin.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

LZ-WIL wrote:Hi,

Today, as I was stretching my P-51 Civ, due to an improperly executed intentional stall, I entered a hard left flat spin at 4500 feet MSL. I immediately reduced power to idle, put stick to neutral and applied opposite rudder several times. I was not able to recover unfortunately, also did not have the courage to see the Mustang crash into the sea, I hit "Esc" :oops: at roughly 500 feet.
My question is, were my actions proper in this case? If I have thrown more drag into the spin ( i.e. deploying full flaps and drop landing gear) would it have helped in any way?

Cheerz,
Will
Any spin entered in a Mustang at 4500 feet wouldn't really have time to go flat. To go flat you need power and aileron and once entered would be unrecoverable sans intervention from God.
If you entered a power off spin and immediately killed the power and initiated recovery at 4500 feet you MIGHT have a shot at a recovery but as much as one extra turn could be fatal. Forget the gear and flaps. Even with initiated recovery immediately and perfectly executed the 51 can lose a thousand feet per turn in a power off spin.
Bad ju ju at 4500 AGL !
Dudley Henriques

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hello,

Thanks for your quick answer Dudley, the reason I called it a flat spin ( I am not a real world pilot ) is because, at some point I was seeing the horizon line through the front windshield. The spin started with below 1/2 power with a stall and drop of the left wing. The aircraft was in 60 to 70 degree climb. I did not put power to idle immediately and may be lost precious altitude. I will test it again some time in the future on a much higher altitude of course. :)
Thank you again for your clarification on the matter.

Cheerz,
Will

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

LZ-WIL wrote:Hello,

Thanks for your quick answer Dudley, the reason I called it a flat spin ( I am not a real world pilot ) is because, at some point I was seeing the horizon line through the front windshield. The spin started with below 1/2 power with a stall and drop of the left wing. The aircraft was in 60 to 70 degree climb. I did not put power to idle immediately and may be lost precious altitude. I will test it again some time in the future on a much higher altitude of course. :)
Thank you again for your clarification on the matter.

Cheerz,
Will
No sweat. What I wanted to convey was that for the spin to go flat or accelerated the addition of power and aileron is required as compared to a normal spin where these two components are missing.
Just remember, in the 51, if it does spin (not recommended) power OFF immediately then anti-spin controls applied immediately.
DH

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Understood. Thanks! :wink:

Cheerz,
Will

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”