Differences between Mil and Civ models ?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Differences between Mil and Civ models ?

Post by Styggron »

Hello everyone,
I was looking on the A2A website at both Military and Civillian Mustangs and I was at a loss to find a list, per se, of the differences between them. I see the cockpit is different of course. I have downloaded the manuals but have not done a side by side comparison to find out the differences yet, I thought I would save some time if at all possible and make my request here.

May I ask one of you kind people to point me in the right direction as to where I might find this information or perhaps some dot points if you know yourselves ?

What I gather already are:
- Cockpit instrumentation (eg the Civ has a GPS etc)
- Is the Engine different perhaps ? or handling ?

Thank you in advance everyone.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Differences between Mil and Civ models ?

Post by DHenriques_ »

Styggron wrote:Hello everyone,
I was looking on the A2A website at both Military and Civillian Mustangs and I was at a loss to find a list, per se, of the differences between them. I see the cockpit is different of course. I have downloaded the manuals but have not done a side by side comparison to find out the differences yet, I thought I would save some time if at all possible and make my request here.

May I ask one of you kind people to point me in the right direction as to where I might find this information or perhaps some dot points if you know yourselves ?

We modeled the military version pretty much as it would have looked as flown during the war. That includes it's instrumentation.
The civilian version was modeled after Vlado Lenoch's Moonbeam McSwine P51D which was retrofitted with modern instrumentation, avionics, and an autopilot.
If you want an authentic military P51 go with the military version. If you want a high performance Mustang fully equipped with single pilot IFR instrumentation that allows you to use ATC in FSX, then the divvy Mustang is your choice.
Personally I prefer the divvy version as it allows much more versatile use of the simulator and the aircraft within the simulator..............but the choice is yours of course. Either one is in my opinion the very vest ever done of this aircraft for desktop simulation.
Dudley Henriques

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:

We modeled the military version pretty much as it would have looked as flown during the war. That includes it's instrumentation.
The civilian version was modeled after Vlado Lenoch's Moonbeam McSwine P51D which was retrofitted with modern instrumentation, avionics, and an autopilot.
If you want an authentic military P51 go with the military version. If you want a high performance Mustang fully equipped with single pilot IFR instrumentation that allows you to use ATC in FSX, then the divvy Mustang is your choice.
Personally I prefer the divvy version as it allows much more versatile use of the simulator and the aircraft within the simulator..............but the choice is yours of course. Either one is in my opinion the very vest ever done of this aircraft for desktop simulation.
Dudley Henriques
Thank you so much Dudley, that is exactly the kind of information I was after. They both sound really good. The best thing is one accu sim module covers both. I might start with the Civilian version first. I was thinking of getting the Air Craft Factory one because I have Accu-Feel, I know that will not quite give me the same experience of course.

The autopilot scares me a little but I don't think I can just avoid a plane because the AP is different. I should just take on a new one and try it. The Commanche and Cherokee one I find quite scary, I don't have them, only the manuals I've read. The Civ Mustang's autopilot does not appear as daunting, I don't know of course, I need to see if I can find youtube clips of people using the Civillian Mustang's AP and see how I go.

I was watching videos of the P47 Razorback. Have you flown the A2A P47 Razorback ? I watched an amazing video on youtube about it. Just those sounds with that special starting system the P47 has and how you can add fuel to the oil to increase viscosity, my goodness !!!
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Styggron wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:

Dudley Henriques
Thank you so much Dudley, that is exactly the kind of information I was after. They both sound really good. The best thing is one accu sim module covers both. I might start with the Civilian version first. I was thinking of getting the Air Craft Factory one because I have Accu-Feel, I know that will not quite give me the same experience of course.

I was watching videos of the P47 Razorback. Have you flown the A2A P47 Razorback ? I watched an amazing video on youtube about it. Just those sounds with that special starting system the P47 has and how you can add fuel to the oil to increase viscosity, my goodness !!!
Accufeel was designed to give the simmer a bit of what was available with Accusim. It's a great program BUT if total realism is the goal then by all means Accusim is the way to go. We put a TON of effort into Accusim and in my opinion Accusim represents the absolute ultimate in state of the art flight simulation for the desktop. There simply isn't anything out here that in my opinion even comes close to Accusim.
Dudley Henriques

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

The Aircraft Factory Mustang is a P51H. Just looked at the cockpits on the manuals, different to the Military/Accusim one. I like the AF one because you can use the default FSX AP which is a bonus for me. :)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Styggron wrote:The Aircraft Factory Mustang is a P51H. Just looked at the cockpits on the manuals, different to the Military/Accusim one. I like the AF one because you can use the default FSX AP which is a bonus for me. :)
Go for it!
DH

Bosko
Airman First Class

Post by Bosko »

The Civ Mustang is excellent. It has been the most fun of all aircraft to learn how to handle. Going from epic failure every time I try to take off to now being able to smoothly take off on any runway other than a really short one was a fun experience. Don't let the autopilot keep you away, it's actually quite simple to operate.

-Brendan
A2A T-6, Comanche, C182, C172, P51 Civilian, B377, Cub.

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

On long flights I have used the default fsx autopilot in the military P-51. I know it is cheating, but on a multi-hour flight is saves on the fatigue.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

wrkempson wrote:On long flights I have used the default fsx autopilot in the military P-51. I know it is cheating, but on a multi-hour flight is saves on the fatigue.
But generally on Accu-Sim craft you can't use the default AP's. I asked about it with the Commanche and Cherokee and was told you can't use the default AP, with the military mustang I was just under the same impression. The Spitfire for example, you can't use FSX's default AP.

Did you add the default AP to your Military Mustang by modifying your config files ?

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Bosko wrote:The Civ Mustang is excellent. It has been the most fun of all aircraft to learn how to handle. Going from epic failure every time I try to take off to now being able to smoothly take off on any runway other than a really short one was a fun experience. Don't let the autopilot keep you away, it's actually quite simple to operate.

-Brendan
I'd just really like to be able to use the default AP on all A2A craft. If it's a choice and people don't like it, they simply don't have to use it. Things like the Commanche and Cherokee have that odd AP which is less feature packed than the default FSX ones. Sure it is full on "how it is" I understand that but it's not for me at present.

The Civ Mustang AP does not look too tricky. I need to see if you can still do ILS approaches with it's AP I don't know if it can. I need to read the manual first.

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

No modification needed. Use the default key strokes in fsx: "z" turns the AP on (with heading hold engaged), "cntrl-z" to hold the altitude where you are, "cntrl-n" to turn on navigation. You can assign a key stroke to toggle gps on and off. You won't have any indication of what is on or off. When in doubt I hit "z" to shut it off and start over. To change your heading you have to turn off heading hold, adjust your heading, then turn heading hold back on ("cntrl-h"). I had to experiment a bit to get the hang of it.

Again, I know this is something of a cheat. Most of my flights in the military mustang are short distance. I use the AP for longer flights such as a ferry flight across the Atlantic.

I only use the A2A AP on my other aircraft.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

wrkempson wrote:No modification needed. Use the default key strokes in fsx: "z" turns the AP on (with heading hold engaged), "cntrl-z" to hold the altitude where you are, "cntrl-n" to turn on navigation. You can assign a key stroke to toggle gps on and off. You won't have any indication of what is on or off. When in doubt I hit "z" to shut it off and start over. To change your heading you have to turn off heading hold, adjust your heading, then turn heading hold back on ("cntrl-h"). I had to experiment a bit to get the hang of it.

Again, I know this is something of a cheat. Most of my flights in the military mustang are short distance. I use the AP for longer flights such as a ferry flight across the Atlantic.

I only use the A2A AP on my other aircraft.
I had no idea that was possible. I always thought it was disabled. I made a post about a modification you can make to bring up the FSX AP regardless, whether the AP will actually work is another story though.

Cheers for the heads up re the keys.

Bosko
Airman First Class

Post by Bosko »

Styggron wrote:
I'd just really like to be able to use the default AP on all A2A craft. If it's a choice and people don't like it, they simply don't have to use it. Things like the Commanche and Cherokee have that odd AP which is less feature packed than the default FSX ones. Sure it is full on "how it is" I understand that but it's not for me at present.

The Civ Mustang AP does not look too tricky. I need to see if you can still do ILS approaches with it's AP I don't know if it can. I need to read the manual first.
I know it can do approaches using the LOC Norm or LOC Rev mode, although I haven't tried it yet. Still, if you want to just use the default AP then go for it. There's no wrong way to do it.

-Brendan
A2A T-6, Comanche, C182, C172, P51 Civilian, B377, Cub.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Now that you are educated about the Stratocruiser, after much procrastination :), its great to read of your experiences so far and how much you have learnt and grown as a C377 pilot. Even your recent questions are much more about digging into the depths of the plane. Well done on the hardest plane of the fleet to master.
Considering this, the challenge of the autopilot on the Civ version of the Mustang is small potatoes really. When all said and done, the civ mustang has to be one of the absolute best planes for exploring territory. Great visibility, speed, endurance, flying experience, lands at most fields (when experienced).
The autopilot is as simple as fly straight and level, switch on autopilot, set heading and activate the HDG mode. Increase or decrease the pitch and fly up and down. Its as easy as that.
The civ model is a no brainer. The military version however is a slightly different beast since it is the authentic warbird without autopilot but has drop tanks etc which adds different dimensions to your flying.
Cheers
Trev

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

TreeTops wrote:Now that you are educated about the Stratocruiser, after much procrastination :), its great to read of your experiences so far and how much you have learnt and grown as a C377 pilot. Even your recent questions are much more about digging into the depths of the plane. Well done on the hardest plane of the fleet to master.
Considering this, the challenge of the autopilot on the Civ version of the Mustang is small potatoes really. When all said and done, the civ mustang has to be one of the absolute best planes for exploring territory. Great visibility, speed, endurance, flying experience, lands at most fields (when experienced).
The autopilot is as simple as fly straight and level, switch on autopilot, set heading and activate the HDG mode. Increase or decrease the pitch and fly up and down. Its as easy as that.
The civ model is a no brainer. The military version however is a slightly different beast since it is the authentic warbird without autopilot but has drop tanks etc which adds different dimensions to your flying.
Thank you for the VERY kind words Treetops I greatly appreciate it and the patience of most people here on the forums. I am still a very poor B377 pilot, I still come in too fast and do bouncy landings but I am starting to get less bouncy landings so am making progress. Still not ok with turning off the FE yet though but working towards it. At present concentrating on getting things started up and then handing over to the FE. :)

Yes the Civ mustang oddly seems to have an "easier" autopilot to use than the Commanche and Cherokee ironically for me. :)

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”