Low Speed Handling Tips

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
nullack
Senior Airman

Low Speed Handling Tips

Post by nullack »

Hi all, been awhile since I flew the P51 and twice now, at low speed on approach to land I've gotten into a nasty spin and killed myself

My config was full flaps, gear down, what I thought was OK speed and throttle

What is good practice for remaining alive and having the machine in one piece on landing :)

Many thanks
A2A Accusim Piper Cherokee 180, Piper Comanche 250, Cessna 172, Cessna 182, Civilian P-51 Mustang, Military P-51 Mustang, B-17 Flying Fortress, T-6 Texan

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Low Speed Handling Tips

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Well what was the speed that you considered to be ok but obviously wasn't sufficient to assure safe flight? :wink:

And also what is the maneuver you perform that makes the aircraft enter a stall/spin? Are you turning final or just flying straight? Because flying a turn will increase the stall speed and thus make you more vulnerable to stall.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

What speeds you flying?

Remember its for the most part better to be a little fast than a little slow, one is a go around the other isnt.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Remember its for the most part better to be a little fast than a little slow, one is a go around the other isnt.
:mrgreen: I'll have to remember that one
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

nullack
Senior Airman

Post by nullack »

Thanks all, keep the speed up

You know this is a testament to how wonderful the product is. You need to fly it right. If you don't, you crash. I love you A2A! :) hahaha Top stuff

My only whinge is, when is more aircraft coming for me to buy :) Take my cash please.
A2A Accusim Piper Cherokee 180, Piper Comanche 250, Cessna 172, Cessna 182, Civilian P-51 Mustang, Military P-51 Mustang, B-17 Flying Fortress, T-6 Texan

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Yes keep the speed up is a more general rule of flying I'd say :wink:

and the beauty with the A2A planes is that you can actually "feel" the speed and when you're getting close to a stall way more than in any other sim aircraft I've flown before.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

nullack wrote:Hi all, been awhile since I flew the P51 and twice now, at low speed on approach to land I've gotten into a nasty spin and killed myself

My config was full flaps, gear down, what I thought was OK speed and throttle

What is good practice for remaining alive and having the machine in one piece on landing :)

Many thanks
The Mustang, being a military fighter plane doesn't comply with the familiar civilian instrument markings for stall speed. What pilots do when flying an aircraft like the 51 is to study the Vg diagram which will show the pilot various stall speeds as a function of load factor and airspeed. The Vg diagram is of course presented at a specific gross weight.
Generally speaking for the Mustang as we molded it gross weight wise for FSX you don't want to let the airspeed go below 100mph which is about right for stall at 1g. Fly your approach around 120mph in all configurations and plan over the fence at a bit under that and you should do just fine.
Dudley Henriques

nullack
Senior Airman

Post by nullack »

Thanks as well to you Dudley. Ive got my nose into charts and the wider manual for study. Cheers

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”