When To Set From 6 Degrees Rudder

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
nullack
Senior Airman

When To Set From 6 Degrees Rudder

Post by nullack »

Gday, to fly by the numbers, when do you go from 6 degrees rudder to zero degrees in flight? After positive rate and gear up?

Is it really necessary during takeoff? I seem to get away without it if I set it to zero on the runway

I just love the sense of power this accusim aircraft has at my throttle tips. Even the rush when it kicks in the high speed blower as the altitude comes up. I found myself saying it out loud "do it baby" hahaha

Even the way she's a big grumpy at low RPM in the taxi

I appreciate the time thats gone into the A2A Cessnas and Texan, but the design of the P51 is just so cool with the V12 merlin and multi stage huffer.
A2A Accusim Piper Cherokee 180, Piper Comanche 250, Cessna 172, Cessna 182, Civilian P-51 Mustang, Military P-51 Mustang, B-17 Flying Fortress, T-6 Texan

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: When To Set From 6 Degrees Rudder

Post by DHenriques_ »

nullack wrote:Gday, to fly by the numbers, when do you go from 6 degrees rudder to zero degrees in flight? After positive rate and gear up?

Is it really necessary during takeoff? I seem to get away without it if I set it to zero on the runway

I just love the sense of power this accusim aircraft has at my throttle tips. Even the rush when it kicks in the high speed blower as the altitude comes up. I found myself saying it out loud "do it baby" hahaha

I appreciate the time thats gone into the A2A Cessnas and Texan, but the design of the P51 is just so cool with the V12 merlin and multi stage huffer.
The rudder trim setting of 6 degrees right is really a setting that comes into play at your first power reduction after takeoff when you reduce to 46" and 2700RPM. Use it in the climb.
Where you set the trim for cruise will depend on what power setting you are using as each power setting requires a different trim setting.
Generally speaking the best way to fly the Mustang is to pitch for level flight, set the power, trim for a neutral pitch, then center the ball with rudder trim.
Use the ball as a reference for correct rudder trim all the time when flying the 51. Every time you change power, check for a centered ball and trim to maintain that.
Dudley Henriques

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
nullack wrote:Gday, to fly by the numbers, when do you go from 6 degrees rudder to zero degrees in flight? After positive rate and gear up?

The rudder trim setting of 6 degrees right is really a setting that comes into play at your first power reduction after takeoff when you reduce to 46" and 2700RPM. Use it in the climb.
Where you set the trim for cruise will depend on what power setting you are using as each power setting requires a different trim setting.
Generally speaking the best way to fly the Mustang is to pitch for level flight, set the power, trim for a neutral pitch, then center the ball with rudder trim.
Use the ball as a reference for correct rudder trim all the time when flying the 51. Every time you change power, check for a centered ball and trim to maintain that.
Dudley Henriques

Dudley,
That is the best(and simplest) explanation I have read about flying the P-51. Thank you.

Chris
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

nullack
Senior Airman

Post by nullack »

Yep, Dudley is a real gem at A2A. Thanks very much Dudley your expertise and dam, your life experiences, mate what times you've had in aviation!
A2A Accusim Piper Cherokee 180, Piper Comanche 250, Cessna 172, Cessna 182, Civilian P-51 Mustang, Military P-51 Mustang, B-17 Flying Fortress, T-6 Texan

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”