strange failures on p51 mil

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

strange failures on p51 mil

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today i decided to do some circuit training , in my p51d mil , i parked at kbfi , had asn giving real weather , aircraft only has about 7hrs and is with today only been in my hangar 3 days, all green in the hangar , fuel in both main wings , no ordanance loaded , started engine , and let it idle till warmed up , but it was running a bit rough at idle , once warmed up i increased to 2000rpm for mag and boost check , left mag caused the usual drop , right mag engine almost cut out , shut the engine down , and visited the hangar again , still all showing green , clicked on both mags , and restarted eng, this time she passed the mag and boost checks , wind was a slight crosswind on rwy 31 at 4knts, takeoff was uneventful , as was the circuit , and touchdown , raised flaps to 20 as i slowly increased power , as i got to t/o speed i raised flaps fully , then slowly eased back on stick , she had enough speed for liftoff , but as soon as wheels came off the ground she flipped over and crashed , and aircraft badly damaged, once she came to rest ,an outside view showed left flap fully down , right flap fully retracted ,this is what caused the flip.
My theory and thats all it is , is that ASN caused a systems failure some how , because when i fired up asn , egll weather station was showing on main page , WHY when i am in the usa, when flap failure occured , i noticed egll weather station was nolonger showing, when ever this station shows or disapears , during a fight, it nine times out of ten causes problems of vairing nature with different high end aircraft , like a2a.
regards alan. 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: strange failures on p51 mil

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Alan,

it could have just been a flap failure, no way for ASN to really cause it unless you where flying in some real dodgy weather on the limits to the aircrafts ability. I guess the strip was small if taking off with flaps?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Lewis.
i was not taking off with flaps i was doing circuits at KBFI main runway , i had landed , and was retracting the flaps as i started to do a takeoff roll , on my touch an go, the flaps should have been fully up as i reached takeoff speed , but only the right flap retracted , hence the uncontrolled roll to right on liftoff and then i crashed.
Reason i suspect ASN is , its done interferance of highend aircraft before , when weather station EGLL either comes online or goes off line while flying , also the mag problem was not correct , i had a failure of right mag on startup , but did not know this till engine was warm , and performed the mag check, but when i did hangar check after shut down of engine , before my flight had started , all was green in the hangar , both before and after mag problem found .
I did notice on ASN weather station list that all weatherstations showed false except EGLL which showed true , in the righthand column , its now been edited to show false like the rest , i am hopeing that fixes the asn problem only time will tell.
regards alan. 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

If you extended max flap speed that could of caused the failure, that'd be my first thoughts for the flap anyway.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Lewis.
When i lowered my flaps , i did it in stages , and was not exceeding the flap speed at any time during my landing phase of flight , else i would have been looking out for possible failure , this is why i was caught out , but as they say , you learn by mistakes , and my mistake , that flight was my failure to glance left/right , during flap retraction on t/o roll to varify they where up , now when i lower/raise my flaps , i now glance left/right for a visual confirmation of flap position.
regards alan. 8) .
P.S. just done a video of part of my last flight , landing at KBFI rwy 13 in winds of 166 at 8 gusting 21 , hence coming in with flaps 20 instead of full , hence the bounces , but aircraft survived without damage.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/93482825
regards alan. 8)
P.S. if you have over 2 hrs spare watch my mad flight in the b17 through the grand canyon

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”