Kwitcherbitchin around the world - Complete!

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: Kwitcherbitchin around the world

Post by AviationAtWar »

I left Indonisia a little before 5 tonight.

3.0 hours to RPMD, Francisco Bangoy International Airport at Davao City in the Philippines.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Getting closer and closer. Before you know it will be in Japan, and onward to Alaska! I put about 23 hours in the PMDG MD-11 this weekend and flew from Florida to Naples, Italy and back. Just dippin the toes in. 8)
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Wow! I wish I could get that much time in over two days.

Wheels up in Davao City.

1.5 to RPUW, Marinduque Island, Philippines.

I lost the hard drive on my last computer in June of last year so I lost my A2A data and had to start with zero time airplanes again when I got my current computer. Take a look at the hours on the plane after I landed on this leg - any bets on whether I have a failure on the next flight?

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Wow I figured you had more time than that. I have about 200 hours on the Military, and 334 hours on the Civilian model. Radiator is fine for awhile if it just went yellow and shouldn't fail. Usually goes yellow in 60 hours, and I've never flown it to failure to be able to give you any kind of idea about when it may completely go. I have had a yellow oil pump for about 100 hours now, and still flying with it, and my fuel pump just went yellow at about 300ish along with both mags. Bird feels a tad bit sluggish, but still flies well.

Yeah 23 hours is not time I sat in front of the computer the entire time. Between doing stuff around the house and all is the main advantage to flying something like the MD-11 that is full automated. It allows me to do the take off and landing phases of flight while going long distance. I also was doing testing on that VAS tool I downloaded a couple weeks ago. Was pleasantly surprised since on older computers the MD-11 always OOM'd that now it barely uses 50% of the available memory even with complex scenery while getting really good frame rates. Going to be pulling the Mustang out on this long weekend though to do some flying, and maybe some of the others depending on what all goes on. Looking forward to the Connie vid too if it comes this week.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
When i flew the c172 around the world , i used my engineering knowledge to decide if i could live with a worn part or not , but if anything was yellow in the engine area , i would consider the route i intended to fly , if long over water , then i would play safe , and change it , like you the c172 only has the one engine , you do not want it to fail , multi engine aircraft are a totally different thing , you can afford one out in most cases , and still get bye.
regards alan. 8)

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Between this one and the computer that was lost I estimate my total Mustang time to be around 150-200 hours.

Some stuff like the radiator I'll let go with yellow and keep an eye on the coolant temp. My oil filter did go yellow a few flight hours back and I replaced it because I don't want to have an engine out event over water and nowhere to put it down without trashing the whole plane. If it were the B-17 or I was flying over areas dense in airports I'd let yellow items go until failure. That's part of the fun!

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I made it to RPUO in the Philipines a couple nights ago but haven't flown since due to being under the weather. 1.4 hours and I burned 1.9 gallons of oil. Next stop Japan!

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Thanksgiving day flight.

Approaching mainland Japan.

RJBD, Nanki–Shirahama Airport in Shirahama, Wakayama, Japan.

Parked after 3.2 hours.

I now face a dilemma. I was avoiding downloading and installing FTX3 for a while until the bugs were mostly worked out because I didn't want to screw up my scenery in the middle of this trip. On the other hand I wanted some Alaskan and PNW scenery and it would be great to have it installed before making my way through there in the next few days. ORBX products went on sale this morning for 35% off so I'm torn whether to continue or test my luck with FTX3.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I have always looked at/wanted ORBX. For performance reasons though I have stuck with the Flight1 UTX/GEX sceneries. Usually installing scenery doesn't mess to much up. Just have to make sure you set up the priorities in the scenery section of FSX properly before going flying. That was the one thing that was important for me in getting the Aerosoft US Cities X, FlyTampa Airports, and UTX/GEX all looking their best was sorting everything in the appropriate order. Otherwise it all gets messed up, and all kinds of glitches occur. Was debating getting Europe, and rounding out my GEX so I have the whole world finally and be done with standard FSX textures forever.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

The current issue with ORBX is the new interface that was launched at the beginning of this month. I have to believe there are hundreds or thousands of people not having any problems with it at all but their forum has blown up enough that I'm leery of installing it yet.

I did another 1.7 last night ending up at RJSH, Aomori, Japan.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Not to bad. I am almost 6 hours in to my flight after buying PFPX and TOPCAT so doing more testing to Italy back to the US. So far is going extremely well except for the idiot putting data in to the programs. :lol: I took off with 11,000LB less fuel than recommended, but luckily I program a 2 hour buffer in just in case so I should still have 30k left on touch down.. PFPX is going to be so nice for the Connie. It takes my weather data from REX, and overlays that on the flight plan and adjust the flight plan for best altitude to get favorable winds. I should have bought this program a LONG time ago. Just need to find a way to put the Connie and 377 in the database.

S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Sounds like too much work for me! I just point it in the general direction I want to go and burn fuel!

I made it to Russia last night.

Leaving Japan.

On the ground at UHPP, Yelizovo Airport in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Kamchatka Krai.

I'll make my way through the Aleutians next.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Attu!

(snow wouldn't quit blowing after parking the airplane for some reason)

1.7 to KATU. Officially back in the US!

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

LOL. It is some work, but if I am flying long long distances I like to have some semblance of a plan. I used to do the same thing of just point and burn fuel, but waiting till I'm almost out of fuel to try and pull up the shift+5 panel and quickly find someplace that may or may not be long enough to put a plane down was stressful itself. Plus spend a lot less time flying circles, or flying to a certain point and then finding out the nearest airport is hundreds of miles away which was my experience when I flew the JustFlight P-38 around the world way long ago. Now I just run out of fuel doing stupid stuff like trying to learn RNAV approaches when almost out of fuel in completely foreign areas to me. :lol:

That effect is a known bug in FSX as well. If you take off/land anywhere that it is raining/snowing the effect stays going even though you are stopped. Also if you take off from an airport that is raining and then land at an airport that is completely dry with no trace of clouds in the sky the effect will still be going when you land. It sucks, but is one of the small things I am able to live with in FSX. Welcome back to the States as well! So far only incident was the small landing gear issue, and at least you managed to keep the engine alive. What are the total hours up to this point?
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Actually my lack of planning got me in a bit of trouble in that sense last night. I took off at close to 10:30 in Japan with the intent to land on one of the islands between there and Russia. I had actually scoped out a runway on a certain island on Google Maps but the A2A map didn't show an airport there when I got there. I was at 31,000 feet so I elected to keep going and land at the next airport. That ended up being in Russia and landing after 1:30 AM. Good thing it wasn't a work night. It was almost 600 miles further than I wanted to fly.

Total time in flight so far is 60.9 hours. The only real failure I've had was the landing gear. The air filter did go red based on the flight hours I guess because I rarely use filtered air, and I've replaced a yellow oil filter twice. My generator has been yellow now for a while but I think it will make it back home.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”