things happen when least expected

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

things happen when least expected

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
This evening , i decided to try some more aerobatics , preflight checks in the hanger , showed all green in the engine , reasonable compression check.
Fuel in wing tanks only , i started the engine , and let her warm up ,ASN giving real weather , once engine was warmed up , i gently increased revs for mag check , right mag failed check , shut down , and went to hanger , looked in the engine , both mags showed green , mag switch marked left/right , but engine its mags 1 and 2 , not knowing which releated to the right mag i clicked on both mags 1 an 2 , restarted engine , and she then passed mag check and supercharger check , taxiied to runway 31L at KBFI , as the wind had gone from calm to 3knots crosswind for rwy 31L , started takeoff run , just as i was lifting off engine well within the max marks , there was a bang , and an oily puff of blue smoke came from left exhaust bank, quick glance of inst showed nothing unusual , oil press/temp good as was fuel press,engine sounded ok and a quick check of throttle response showed the engine was willing , all this while retracting gear and trimming for flight , did a circuit and landed , on shutdown , and going into hanger , there was a message saying check engine , everything showed ok , till i did compression test , a cyclinder had blown , now repaired.
regards alan. 8)

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: things happen when least expected

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Alan,

That was quite an experience, full of surprises. :wink: Thank you for sharing. I on my hand had a different sort of unexpected experience with my P-51 (civ). Sim platform and computer in nature, I had to reinstall it due to some recent CTDs (without errors in the event viewer). :shock: It's back online now, but I have a brand new P-51. I have the old data files, but I'm afraid, if I place them in, it could CTD again (I may experiment). :wink:

P.S. I really miss P-51 (civ) not having the ability to choose "new" or "used" aircraft like its newer siblings. May be A2A team will add this feature in any recent updates.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Will.
I have noticed that all the wop aircraft come as new , only the ga`s and texen that i have , had the option new/old.
regards alan. 8)

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Yes that is true, I have only one WoP bird (P-51 civ) and the Piper J3 Cub which also does not have the ability of "new" or "used". I believe this option was implemented with the C 172 and every other plane that came afterwards. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”