P51D MIL taxi and t/o with max fuel load

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

P51D MIL taxi and t/o with max fuel load

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today i decided to do a flight into the mountain regions of seattle , and decided to fly as a test the max fuel load , i.e. wings full , belly full , and 108gal tip tanks fitted.
She was heavy on taxi , and took a longer takeoff run as you would expect , but on my return decided to land without jetisoning external tanks , so letting her down gently required a bit more concentration than normal , so as not to damage the gear , had a very slight bounce before final touchdown , nothing to worry about .

https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/97568159

regards alan. 8)

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: P51D MIL taxi and t/o with max fuel load

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Alan,

Just watched it - nice video, thanks for sharing. I find it very uncertain when you entered IMC with the military P-51. It was a bit exciting and scary at the same time. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but I don't think the original P-51 is fitted for IFR flight. I have the civilian version only and according to it's manual it is fitted for IFR. I am a bit tempted to get the military too. :wink:
The civilian P-51 has only wing and fuselage tanks.( I heard you, wondering in the video.)

P.S. I almost forgot, nice take off and landing too. I am still brushing up mine ;)

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Will.
If you have an art horz gauge to show which way is up , and a direction compass, and a map , and know where you are prior to going into cloud , then not too big a problem , how do you think they did it in war time or during dog fights , where coulds where used to evade an enemy you could not shake from your tail.
Its just a 3 dimentional fog , my problem was clouds that ASN generated around me when i was in clear sky , its good at doing that , still makes me jump though , and if like in the video you know that mountains are all around you but you cannot see them thanks to sudden personal ASN cloud , you cross your fingers an toes an hope for a quick break in the cloud , to get a fix on direction , to avoid a collision with rocks .
As for the t/o and landing , thanks for the compliment , but the weather was kind at KBFI for a change , that made it a lot easier to deal with.
Regards alan. 8)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Alan,

I completely agree with your sentiments on the ASN "parsonal cloud" issue. The really strange part about all this is I've flown through small gaps and along the fringe of clouds and been enveloped in a light mist, but still able to see well enough! It would be great if they could tune that "paersonal cloud" a bit with an update, but I fear we're not going to see a resolution until the next full purchase! Just me being pessimistic!

I also have noticed how sensitive the controls are in the Mstang when entering full cloud cover. It is an interesting theory you have about ASN hogging resources and not allowing fine control movements to be applied to the Mustang, thus resulting in over-control.

I always just assumed that the Mustang is naturally more sensitive to control input by design, and the sudden lack of visual feedback results in me applying essentially NO small correcting inputs - the further result being an increase in climb or descent rate and/or turn rate. When I enter cloud now, I lock my focus on the instruments and concentrate on making very small, measured responses to what the instruments are telling me.

But your idea is compelling and I'm completely open to that being the reason for jumpy controls. Maybe purposely fogging the canopy in clear weather might be a method for investigation?

Regardless, I enjoy catching your stream when I can, and appreciate your making the vods available!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Jacques.
If you do a canopy fogging test , to see if control is better in or out of ASN clouds , just make sure you are at a high alt , to give yourself time to recover from any situation you end up in.
As for the controls yes the mustang is by its nature a twitchy aircraft on controls , and i too concentrate on inst more when in ASN clouds , but the aircraft to me seems more twitchy in clouds than out of them .
Also if my twitch streams , good or bad , help others to fly better , then thats a bonus , and yes i have made a lot of mistakes , all part of learning i suppose.
Good luck with your test , i might give it a go myself , just to prove one way or the other , about ASN possibly hogging memory , so control imput is impaired.
Regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”