Military V. Civilian

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
andrewayad
Airman

Military V. Civilian

Post by andrewayad »

I was looking at the familiarization video from A2A about the P51 Mustang. I am starting to fall in love with this aircraft. I was considering to buy it. I can see that there is a civilian and a military version. I want to know what are the differences between the two versions and which one would considered to be better. I will also be buying the Accusim expansion pack along with it for sure. I am confused between the two.
Andrew Ayad

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Military V. Civilian

Post by DHenriques_ »

andrewayad wrote:I was looking at the familiarization video from A2A about the P51 Mustang. I am starting to fall in love with this aircraft. I was considering to buy it. I can see that there is a civilian and a military version. I want to know what are the differences between the two versions and which one would considered to be better. I will also be buying the Accusim expansion pack along with it for sure. I am confused between the two.
Both are excellent representations of their venue. If you are a purist then it's the mil version for you. The civilian version however offers much more versatility in the simulator. It has upgraded avionics allowing you to own a very fast and instrument capable fighter you can fly either VFR or IFR. You have modern instrument approach capability as well.
For me it's no contest.
Dudley Henriques

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Military V. Civilian

Post by JoeS475 »

Hi Andrew-

Simply stated, which you get depends on how you want to fly... and many of us have both (if you get both, you only have to buy Accusim once- it fits both products).

The military P-51 is equipped as it was during WWII. It is heavier, has no modern avionics and can be fitted with external fuel tanks, bombs, rockets and ammo (not able to be fired in a destructive way, it simply adds to the weight and drag and makes the aircraft more of a handful to fly). These external stores can be jettisoned in flight.

The civilian version is a P-51 that you would find at an airshow today- it has had military equipment removed, so it weighs less, and it has modern avionics and GPS (also will use some 3rd party offerings). So this version can be flown perfectly, and realistically in today's world, including IFR.

Both aircraft are incredible, there is no "wrong" choice. I prefer the civilian model so I can do authentic airshow displays in a Mustang perfectly representative of one airworthy today!

If you are a P-51 fanatic and you buy one, you will probably end up getting the other as well!

BTW these were both developed and released at similar times, so they are both the same "age" if you will, so it is not like one is "better" than the other. They are just both very different (and similar) all at once.

Hope this is of some help!

Cheers-
Joe

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”