Starting in the Cold

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
NeverMiss51
Airman

Starting in the Cold

Post by NeverMiss51 »

I did a quick search, but I could not remember where I saw this thread a while ago...

So, what's the best way (especially with the newest update) to start the P-51 when the OAT is in the 20's or even teens?

it's cold up here in New England!

I can't seem to get the MIL/CIV started without flooding it, or killing the battery...
The "YellowJackets", P-51's of the 361st Fighter Group, 8th Air Force

P-51 CIV/MIL Comanche T-6 TEXAN

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Starting in the Cold

Post by Piper_EEWL »

What I usually do is prime for 4-5s. Then turn the primer off an switch the starter on. Count six blades and then the mags. If she doesn't fire I just add more primer while the starter is turning the engine. Once she starts "coughing" I turn the primer off and she starts. Seems to work if it's not too cold.

Don't forget to give the starter a brake after about 30s.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

NeverMiss51
Airman

Post by NeverMiss51 »

Piper_EEWL wrote:What I usually do is prime for 4-5s. Then turn the primer off an switch the starter on. Count six blades and then the mags. If she doesn't fire I just add more primer while the starter is turning the engine. Once she starts "coughing" I turn the primer off and she starts. Seems to work if it's not too cold.

Don't forget to give the starter a brake after about 30s.

Happy flying

Yeah, that's pretty much what I end up doing. So, as long as the blades are turning, the engine won't flood with the primer on?
The "YellowJackets", P-51's of the 361st Fighter Group, 8th Air Force

P-51 CIV/MIL Comanche T-6 TEXAN

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Well I wouldn't say that you can't flood the engine when priming while it's spinning but you'll get an indicator if it's to little fuel. At temperatures below 25F priming 4s won't be enough in my experience.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Well I wouldn't say that you can't flood the engine when priming while it's spinning but you'll get an indicator if it's to little fuel. At temperatures below 25F priming 4s won't be enough in my experience.
The electric primer in the 51 is EXTREMELY potent. On a cold start, 4 seconds should do it normally but if very cold might not. Kick it over and resist the temptation to advance the throttle. Leave it at around 1 inch or the start position and as the blades engage be ready to prime in 1 second shots with a second between. If no start in 15 seconds shut down and retry in a few minutes.
Usually you can get a start using this procedure.
The main thing is start it on the primer then quickly go to RUN on the mixture.
Dudley Henriques

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Thanks for the input Dudley. Yes that's what I meant to say. Prime 4-5s when cold and then add some primer while the engine is turning on the starter if it doesn't start.

Happy flying

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”