A2A P51 Mustang Civilian - My first short field takeoff

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

A2A P51 Mustang Civilian - My first short field takeoff

Post by sloppysmusic »

A2A P51 Mustang Civilian - 4k Recording Test NSAU to NSTU OrbX

Still tweaking recording settings. Almost there, still some lag.

https://youtu.be/TkJAlRa-uJM

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: A2A P51 Mustang Civilian - My first short field takeoff

Post by TreeTops »

Good to see you gaining confidence with the mustang.
Comments below are all in light of it being a new aircraft to you, plus the pressure of a short strip. Deeaaaddddlllyyyy combination :)

So now looking back at your takeoff, you will start to understand what we were banging on about last week for the take off. 3 things you need to really work at are:
1. Throttle movement needs to be smoooooth. At about 1.07-9 there was a sudden power addition which resulted in the nose being thrown left. You don't want that happening because at speed it doesn't take long to be heading for the edge of the strip. Smooth throttle work will help a lot with point 2.
2. Rudder activity. Every start begins with a pivot right so start feeding in left rudder pedal immediately it starts rolling, then watch for that to neutralise and immediately start on the right rudder pedal because you know a heap of left torque is coming. Get those two movements sorted and immediately you are rolling down the runway still 'near' centreline. So now you have room to play with power and rudder instead of working back from the edge of the runway. You cannot wait for the plane to start veering before adding rudder. That way you will always be chasing the plane. Know what the plane will do and give it appropriate rudder to prevent it from swinging. Be a second or two ahead of the aircraft will help keep near the centreline. You did a good job catching it at about 1.17. Dudley will say 'Keep those feet dancing'. The same applies with the T6 landing roll out. Be ahead of the plane and it will all smooth out.
3. Just on lift off you see the plane drop the left wing. This will always happen so give it some right aileron pressure and it will lift off level, particularly with the slower airspeed liftoffs. Practice will let you know how much. Another 5-10 knots makes a big difference but with this short strip that's out of the question.

These three things are a challenge on their own. Put them all together and much it work is a greater challenge but here is trick.
The shortest takeoff will be achieved by maintaining a straight line which enables you to add the most power for the rudder to be able to counter, thus ending up being the shortest takeoff. Any excursions of the centreline are really only making the takeoff longer.
Keep posting videos because they are handy to point to a moment of discussion.

I still remember when the mustang was first released, and I guess it was the same for most of us, take offs were really hard until Dudley posted his tutorial. Suddenly there was a clear method to get this bird off the ground.
Cheers
Trev

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

Thanks so much Tree! I'm on a field trip so have to be quick us can't see this tiny screen. I was never aware of the initial right swing until now. Thanks for confirming. Like you say dealing with that being stronger than expected cost me vital yards on this takeoff. There should be a other video on my YouTube about now with a rather hilarious short field landing. Still only making video tests can concentrate on actually getting better very soon as soon as have my videos smooth.
Oh that landing above? Might actually be the craziest fsx landing ever with crash detection on. Luckiest landing ever might be more accurate!
I'm happy to keep posting my mistakes as well as successes. It's the best way to learn
More later
Russ

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Hey Sloppy Music.. Couple other things to check..

-Do not let your engine idle below 1000 RPM unless your oil pressure is too high..
- Fully open your Water Cooler rad manually while on the ground to keep your water temps below 100.. If temps is still rising above 105.. increase Throttle to 1200-1300 RPM or expedite your takeoff..
-To get out of a tight spot, do not rush to lift gears.. It sounds counterintuitive but the Drag increase during gear cycling on the mustang because the gear fairing having to come down in the airstream before the mains can come up in the wings... Stabilise your positive climb rate and let the airspeed increase to 120 KIAS before you go gear up.. you can have your gear down all the way up to 150 Kts (170 mph).
-On very short field, your priority is Airspeed, not altitude.. This is even more true when flying a Super high performance plane like the Stang.. that huge prop couple to 1490 Hp is gonna bite your bum when you combine high AoA, High Power Setting and low Airspeed.. To get back in the safe envelope of flight, keep the nose down, build speed, skim the trees or even aim between two.. :)
-I havent tested but I would be surprise if open canopy increase drag too.. If I remember correctly, Dudley says he never tookoff or landed with the canopy opened..
-For temparature management and engine wear, you can back throttle/RPM to climb power as soon as your airspeed is under control and you have no more obstacle to clear.
-Once gear up and power set to climb, you can set Cooler flaps back to Auto, and start to get some of your rudder trim back toward neutral.. your Turn Coordinator ball will tell you by how much..
-Do not pull your RPM back to 2700 before you have lowered your Throttle to 46 inHg.. This puts torque stress on the engine beyond design... On power down: Throttle first, then RPM, on Power increase: RPM first, Throttle after..
-48 inHg is still too much manifold pressure for 2600 RPM.. (But I'm being picky here)
-On approach, once you lower your power to 27 inHg and below, I would advice using some Carbheat.. this also help to reduce the power output of the engine so that you wont have to retard your Throttle too much (I always try to keep 27-30 inHg until over the fence to avoid having that Merlin into compressing instead of producing power..)
-First notch of Flaps can help you slow down as soon as you are around 290 KIAS and 2nd notch at 220 KIAS.. 190 for the 3rd and 150 for the Wheels... Dudley often recommends a tight turn with and over the field approach to bleed airspeed instead of pulling the power to far back.

Thats about it! Sorry for the novel here! Hope you keep on flying that bird... Its still a blast for me and I've been flying it for like 6 years..

May I invite you to subscribe to my chanel? Stephan.Cote.1 on YouTube..

Here's a vid I made you might like..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcEVTAaku8&t=206s
Cheers Sir!

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

stephan.cote.1 wrote:Hey Sloppy Music.. Couple other things to check..

-Do not let your engine idle below 1000 RPM unless your oil pressure is too high..
- Fully open your Water Cooler rad manually while on the ground to keep your water temps below 100.. If temps is still rising above 105.. increase Throttle to 1200-1300 RPM or expedite your takeoff..
-To get out of a tight spot, do not rush to lift gears.. It sounds counterintuitive but the Drag increase during gear cycling on the mustang because the gear fairing having to come down in the airstream before the mains can come up in the wings... Stabilise your positive climb rate and let the airspeed increase to 120 KIAS before you go gear up.. you can have your gear down all the way up to 150 Kts (170 mph).
-On very short field, your priority is Airspeed, not altitude.. This is even more true when flying a Super high performance plane like the Stang.. that huge prop couple to 1490 Hp is gonna bite your bum when you combine high AoA, High Power Setting and low Airspeed.. To get back in the safe envelope of flight, keep the nose down, build speed, skim the trees or even aim between two.. :)
-I havent tested but I would be surprise if open canopy increase drag too.. If I remember correctly, Dudley says he never tookoff or landed with the canopy opened..
-For temparature management and engine wear, you can back throttle/RPM to climb power as soon as your airspeed is under control and you have no more obstacle to clear.
-Once gear up and power set to climb, you can set Cooler flaps back to Auto, and start to get some of your rudder trim back toward neutral.. your Turn Coordinator ball will tell you by how much..
-Do not pull your RPM back to 2700 before you have lowered your Throttle to 46 inHg.. This puts torque stress on the engine beyond design... On power down: Throttle first, then RPM, on Power increase: RPM first, Throttle after..
-48 inHg is still too much manifold pressure for 2600 RPM.. (But I'm being picky here)
-On approach, once you lower your power to 27 inHg and below, I would advice using some Carbheat.. this also help to reduce the power output of the engine so that you wont have to retard your Throttle too much (I always try to keep 27-30 inHg until over the fence to avoid having that Merlin into compressing instead of producing power..)
-First notch of Flaps can help you slow down as soon as you are around 290 KIAS and 2nd notch at 220 KIAS.. 190 for the 3rd and 150 for the Wheels... Dudley often recommends a tight turn with and over the field approach to bleed airspeed instead of pulling the power to far back.

Thats about it! Sorry for the novel here! Hope you keep on flying that bird... Its still a blast for me and I've been flying it for like 6 years..

May I invite you to subscribe to my chanel? Stephan.Cote.1 on YouTube..

Here's a vid I made you might like..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcEVTAaku8&t=206s
Cheers Sir!

Great comments Stephen..actually yes i DO want a novel if u get more time! Subbed to your channel and watched the video you linked. It was great to watch someone else fly the beast for once. Will be going thru your other videos when not working!
Will copy and paste those notes of yours into my readme :D
Thanks!
Russ aka Slops

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”