Any chance for an upgraded beacon?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Any chance for an upgraded beacon?

Post by MatzeH84 »

Not only referring to the Mustang in particular.. this would also apply for the Connie and others, sharing the rotating beacon. It's not overly realistic to see the cast lightbeams of the beacon in bright sunlight. Even in a clear night you would only be able to see the light on the beacon and fuselage. The only time the cast beams would be visible is in fog or cloud.
Also the upperside of the Mustang's wing is lit a on some parts by the beacon, which is impossible, as it's directly underneath.
FSFX showed that different effects depending on the weather conditions are possible, and I believe it would be a great step up for the immersiveness- once the tech is there, the other lights could get some overhaul as well (the light beams of the landing lights, again, would also be visible only in fog or cloud), nav lights with different effect in fog or in clear.
Check out the FSFX videos, they made packs for airliners which are incredible. However, A2A started the game with the Shockwave Lights, and an overhaul of this for P3Dv4 with different fog/day/night effects would be really cool.
Kind regards, Matthias

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Any chance for an upgraded beacon?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I'll ask about it, we already have weather dependant effects in the aircraft. Just for ref which platform are you using?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Matthias,

If you prefer, it's actually possible to eliminate the 'light cones' for the beacon and landing lights by removing some of the *.fx files. In Prepar3D this will leave behind the default dynamic lighting which I think looks rather good on its own. If you're interested, please let me know and I'll provide more info.

Thanks,
Nick

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hi Matthias,

If you prefer, it's actually possible to eliminate the 'light cones' for the beacon and landing lights by removing some of the *.fx files. In Prepar3D this will leave behind the default dynamic lighting which I think looks rather good on its own. If you're interested, please let me know and I'll provide more info.

Thanks,
Nick
I'm not Matthias, but I would definitely appreciate to remove the light beam. I usually fly with beacon off for this reason :oops: It really looks weird in VR when you sit in the Cockpit and this 3D beam circles around you.. =)

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

I second this for the Civilian Mustang in P3D
ImageImageImage

kielsf4
Airman First Class

Post by kielsf4 »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hi Matthias,

Thanks,
Nick
I'd be interessted as well. Deleting the "fx_WoP3_P51_civ_beacon.fx" didn't help unfortunately.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Sure thing guys.

Basically you'll need to navigate to the "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\Effects" folder and delete (or just move) the following files:

To disable the 3-D beacon 'cones' in the Civilian Mustang:

fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_1.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_2.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_3.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_4.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_5.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_6.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_7.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_8.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_9.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_10.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_11.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_12.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_13.fx
fx_WoP3_P51_civ_b_14.fx

And to disable the 3-D landing lights 'cones':

fx_wop3_p51_civ_ll_1.fx
fx_wop3_p51_civ_ll_2.fx
fx_wop3_p51_civ_ll_3.fx
fx_wop3_p51_civ_ll_4.fx
fx_wop3_p51_civ_ll_5.fx
fx_wop3_p51_civ_ll_6.fx
fx_wop3_p51_civ_ll_7.fx
fx_wop3_p51_civ_ll_8.fx
fx_wop3_p51_civ_ll_9.fx

To remove 3-D landing lights in the Mil Mustang it's:

fx_wop3_p51_ll_1.fx (through to *.9.fx)

Thanks,
Nick

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hi Nick,

Thanks, good to know it's so easy. Always thought it was part of the 3D model and not a effect. (Show how good the effect is/was).

Marcel

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

Thanks Nick I appreciate that info
ImageImageImage

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Thanks Nick and Lewis on your positive feedback!

I'm using P3Dv4.3.

I tried deleting/ moving the files you specified, and it looks much better.. at least as long you're in the VC. On ground in bright sunlight you'll still see the beacon cast on the ground, which would only be expected at night, but this was to be expected.
I hope once the V-Tail is done, you could spend some time in modernizing the light effects, with different effets for day, night and fog/cloud. Of course this would affect all products, and give a lot more immersiveness regardless if you're flying your Mustang, Comanche or Connie.
Going for some patterns now, my t/o and landing skills have to be improved again.. :mrgreen:
Thanks for giving us the Mustang back! :D
Kind regards, Matthias

kielsf4
Airman First Class

Post by kielsf4 »

MatzeH84 wrote:Thanks Nick and Lewis on your positive feedback!

I'm using P3Dv4.3.

I tried deleting/ moving the files you specified, and it looks much better.. at least as long you're in the VC. On ground in bright sunlight you'll still see the beacon cast on the ground, which would only be expected at night, but this was to be expected.
I hope once the V-Tail is done, you could spend some time in modernizing the light effects, with different effets for day, night and fog/cloud. Of course this would affect all products, and give a lot more immersiveness regardless if you're flying your Mustang, Comanche or Connie.
Going for some patterns now, my t/o and landing skills have to be improved again.. :mrgreen:
Thanks for giving us the Mustang back! :D
You can additionally delete "fx_WoP3_P51_civ_beacon.fx" to get rid of the beacon cast on the ground.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”